Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

eBay etiquette question (aka am I being weird)

bimble

floofy
I listed as a job lot 7 plant pots, used, functional, aprox sizes & pics. Put £10 as starting price. Auction ended today & somebody ‘won’ at £51.
I think that’s too much money for the not very beautiful pots and feel awkward about it like he’s going to be sad or pissed off when he comes to get them.
Do I just act normal like here’s yr pots give me the £51 or do I say something, like idk I’d be happy with £30 they’re not that great are they.
?

I listed as a job lot 7 plant pots, used, functional, aprox sizes & pics. Put £10 as starting price. Auction ended today & somebody ‘won’ at £51.
I think that’s too much money for the not very beautiful pots and feel awkward about it like he’s going to be sad or pissed off when he comes to get them.
Do I just act normal like here’s yr pots give me the £51 or do I say something, like idk I’d be happy with £30 they’re not that great are they.
?
Be straight always. But nice? No.

You think Keith isn’t going to show up for my pots? :eek:
I'm sure he will. In my mate's case, he got a panicked message from the person saying they'd pressed the wrong button. It's easy to back out of I'm sure, but this twit was clueless and he was strung along for a few messages, saying that he must fulfil his promise to pay, before saying not to worry as he had a higher offer from a Japanese collector.

I think I’ll just wait and see what Keith is like, if he turns up. I think I am being weird though, it’s like I’m reverse negotiating for no reason because I don’t think my stuff has value but Keith does so fine.

I think I’ll just wait and see what Keith is like, if he turns up. I think I am being weird though, it’s like I’m reverse negotiating for no reason because I don’t think my stuff has value but Keith does so fine.

I think it would be okay to take the money.

He might be rich enough to pay that much.
He might be re-billing it someone else who’s rich enough to pay someone else to do their gardening.
He might have spotted a rare and terribly expensive pot amongst your pots and be keen to sell it on for ££££€$€

And what about the person who got to £30 and dropped out cos that was their top price?

I think it’s would be okay to take the money.

He might be rich enough to pay that much.
He might be reviling it to someone else’s who’s rich enough to pay someone else to do their gardening.

And what about the person who got to £30 and dropped out cos that was their top price?
Yes. If I was genuinely a nice person I’d have responded differently to the eBay user who sent me a message offering a fiver the lot. But I didn’t so.
(Wasn’t rude just said no I am not in a hurry)

Yes. If I was genuinely a nice person I’d have responded differently to the eBay user who sent me a message offering a fiver the lot. But I didn’t so.
(Wasn’t rude just said no I am not in a hurry)

That doesn’t make make a bad person. It makes you canny. You’re forty up on that offer.

People who contact you early in an e-bay auction and ask if you'll stop the auction and let them buy it now are almost always offering an artificially low price and trying to panic you. and i think it may be against e-bay rules (even if it's not, i don't think it's good etiquette or whatever) - I suppose there might be circumstances where someone really needs something urgently and can't wait until the end of the auction.

And if this person is collecting, how are they paying? It's a fairly well known scam for dodgy buyers to pay via Paypal, collect in person, then tell e-bay they never received the stuff, and since the seller has no proof of anything (like they would if they had got proof of postage) then e-bay side with the dodgy buyer.

On the odd occasions I have done 'buyer collects' for anything more than a couple of quid then I've done a collection note for them to sign.

People who contact you early in an e-bay auction and ask if you'll stop the auction and let them buy it now are almost always offering an artificially low price and trying to panic you. and i think it may be against e-bay rules (even if it's not, i don't think it's good etiquette or whatever) - I suppose there might be circumstances where someone really needs something urgently and can't wait until the end of the auction.

And if this person is collecting, how are they paying? It's a fairly well known scam for dodgy buyers to pay via Paypal, collect in person, then tell e-bay they never received the stuff, and since the seller has no proof of anything (like they would if they had got proof of postage) then e-bay side with the dodgy buyer.

On the odd occasions I have done 'buyer collects' for anything more than a couple of quid then I've done a collection note for them to sign.
He (Keith) messaged me saying he’ll bring cash money unless I prefer PayPal. I think this will be a low drama transaction, I’m expecting old man from nearby village who has too many seedlings.

?
Why are you letting random diudes turn up at your house?

Don't you mix with enough internet weirdos here?

Back
Top Bottom