Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Earth-shattering Pembrokeshire news

JuanTwoThree

Anecdotage
R.I.P.
POLICE officers did not make any arrests following an altercation between two people on Wednesday night, October 7.
Officers were called shortly before 9pm but said that it may have been a ‘verbal altercation’.
A spokesperson said: “We received a call at 8.57pm on Wednesday, a report of two people involved in an altercation on Vine Road, Johnston.
“Upon arrival it was established no-one was injured, and the alleged disturbance may have been a verbal altercation.
“No-one has been arrested or charged in relation to this incident.”

Milford News

No. Or to put it another way, fuck off. My mother lives in Pembrokeshire and both my brothers in Carmarthenshire. I have cousins all across South Wales and during the time I lived in London my family home was in Carmarthenshire too. We moved to Wales when I was 15 and while I was born in England we were emphatically Welsh and went there twice a year.

ETA I lie. Both my mother and one brother live in Pembrokeshire and the other in Carmarthenshire.

Last edited:
POLICE officers did not make any arrests following an altercation between two people on Wednesday night, October 7.
Officers were called shortly before 9pm but said that it may have been a ‘verbal altercation’.
A spokesperson said: “We received a call at 8.57pm on Wednesday, a report of two people involved in an altercation on Vine Road, Johnston.
“Upon arrival it was established no-one was injured, and the alleged disturbance may have been a verbal altercation.

Milford News
Aargh

Aargh

No. Or to put it another way, fuck off. My mother lives in Pembrokeshire and both my brothers in Carmarthenshire. I have cousins all across South Wales and during the time I lived in London my family home was in Carmarthenshire too. We moved to Wales when I was 15 and while I was born in England we were emphatically Welsh and went there twice a year.

ETA I lie. Both my mother and one brother live in Pembrokeshire and the other in Carmarthenshire.
But you don't live there now?

No. But I take a keen interest in Wales, from being Welsh. And having Wales littered with my family.

The story reminds me of a simpler time when news in local papers was really not what we'd call news now but was of great interest to its readers, when the Carmarthen Journal used to report on who was going on holiday and for how long. The Western Telegraph used to put little news pieces about who was back for their holidays in and around Fishguard. How they found out must have been because people told them. "Put in the paper that my brother and family is coming to stay with us in July. Here are all their names".

The idea that this is metropolitan mockery is you barking up the wrong tree and getting the wrong end of the stick, if that's possible at the same time. I'm strictly a country and small town boy. i lived in a city for 3 years at university (Leeds) and in London then from 78 to 84, which is 9 of the nearly 64 years that I have lived, And ages ago.

So you couldn't be more wrong. But don't worry, you must be used to it by now.

Last edited:

Milford News
Gotta love the 'Shire. And the outstanding standard of journalism therein :rolleyes:

Yes - the South Wales Guardian had a front page item some years ago about a full milk bottle filched off a doorstep in Ammanford. Quieter than usual news week.

There are many of us , of Welsh origin or connections , continuing to take a keen interest in the doings and so on , or our old areas.

Yes - the South Wales Guardian had a front page item some years ago about a full milk bottle filched off a doorstep in Ammanford. Quieter than usual news week.

There are many of us , of Welsh origin or connections , continuing to take a keen interest in the doings and so on , or our old areas.
And vice versa :)

South Wales Guardian

and Amman Valley Chronicle. Which they took very seriously, recounting every last single thing that had happened in Ammanford and around. My father used to volunteer at the CAB in Ammanford and I used to read it in the office having rashly gone into Ammanford with him and rapidly exhausted its many charms.

and Amman Valley Chronicle. Which they took very seriously, recounting every last single thing that had happened in Ammanford and around. My father used to volunteer at the CAB in Ammanford and I used to read it in the office having rashly gone into Ammanford with him and rapidly exhausted its many charms.
Both of them? :hmm:

I am slowly putting together an article on the local Ammanford railways , and spent may enjoyable hours at the now closed Colindale newspaper library going through this august journal. Of course one read the court pages for say 1920 as a diversion and the breadth of "human interest" was astounding. Pretty violent and drunken place - I guess that has not changed.

No. But I take a keen interest in Wales, from being Welsh. And having Wales littered with my family.

The story reminds me of a simpler time when news in local papers was really not what we'd call news now but was of great interest to its readers, when the Carmarthen Journal used to report on who was going on holiday and for how long. The Western Telegraph used to put little news pieces about who was back for their holidays in and around Fishguard. How they found out must have been because people told them. "Put in the paper that my brother and family is coming to stay with us in July. Here are all their names".

The idea that this is metropolitan mockery is you barking up the wrong tree and getting the wrong end of the stick, if that's possible at the same time. I'm strictly a country and small town boy. i lived in a city for 3 years at university (Leeds) and in London then from 78 to 84, which is 9 of the nearly 64 years that I have lived, And ages ago.

So you couldn't be more wrong. But don't worry, you must be used to it by now.
Wrong about what?

I don't think anyone can read the thread title and say there's zero mockery involved can they? You can say it's "affectionate" and do the bit about having lived there a long time ago, sure.

This is the yester year equivalent of lazy journalists tralling twitter.

I don't think anyone can read the thread title and say there's zero mockery involved can they? You can say it's "affectionate" and do the bit about having lived there a long time ago, sure.

OK a bit of affectionate mockery. But you said 'sneering' which I resent. And my interest in my country is not because I lived there full-time for a scant 3 years; I was Welsh before I lived there and still am. Unless you think I am no longer Welsh. If so, when do you think my Welshness expired?

OK a bit of affectionate mockery. But you said 'sneering' which I resent. And my interest in my country is not because I lived there full-time for a scant 3 years; I was Welsh before I lived there and still am. Unless you think I am no longer Welsh. If so, when do you think my Welshness expired?
I'm not an arbiter of Welshness, nor do I see how it's relevant.
What all this shows is that it's not just metropolitan types who indulge in having a bit of a laugh at the expense of places where supposedly not much of consequence goes on.
The more I think about it, the more I see that metropolitan types are unfairly maligned. They are the real victims here.

What all this shows is that it's not just metropolitan types who indulge in having a bit of a laugh at the expense of places where supposedly not much of consequence goes on.
The more I think about it, the more I see that metropolitan types are unfairly maligned. They are the real victims here.
🤣
G'way.

Perhaps you're over thinking it all

Back
Top Bottom