Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DWP staff to be given powers of arrest for benefit fraud

Another case - man makes an honest mistake (which the DWP admits, given the utter complexity of the form) DWP forces him to sell his home and takes £20k in 'benefit overpayments' from him. Won't return the money.

Tbh if the dwp know pretty much immediately when someone's overpaid and then leave it years to do something I'd have thought that would fall foul of the gdpr principles A guide to the data protection principles Wouldn't this give the dwp some liability for errors?

Tbh if the dwp know pretty much immediately when someone's overpaid and then leave it years to do something I'd have thought that would fall foul of the gdpr principles A guide to the data protection principles Wouldn't this give the dwp some liability for errors?
Without seeing the forms that the DWP ask claimants to fill out regarding their data, I would think it likely that some of those principles have been breached.

The decent thing would be to write off overpayments, pay back those forced to pay the DWP already and set out a framework for a) an amnesty and transition period and b) a new framework to manage alleged overpayments in a timely manner going forwards.

Key word is decent, of course...

I'd like to see the arseholes who put their name to the threatening letters pulled up for fraud, see how they like it for a couple of years before the case comes to court :mad:

Back
Top Bottom