Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup

Ideally a game should be winnable by any class but I get the impression this one really just needs a run-bash-run tank, I tried this once or twice and maybe it was my technique but I got the impression rogues and magic users are just meant not to win a roguelike, no matter how subtle it appears.
with the right god and spellbooks you can get fighter/blasters who are tough as fuck. I haven't got the patience to play that style though. I prefer to Conan it.

Ideally a game should be winnable by any class but I get the impression this one really just needs a run-bash-run tank, I tried this once or twice and maybe it was my technique but I got the impression rogues and magic users are just meant not to win a roguelike, no matter how subtle it appears.

Most spellcasters are glass cannons, and you need some defence in this game. It is doable though, lots of people have. It's just easier with fighter types.

High level spells in Crawl are pretty amazing - I’ve watched people on crawl.akrasiac.org and Firestorm can wipe out whole groups of tough enemies in just a few turns - but bashing people is easier and I can’t even win like that so I’m not going to mess around with casters right now. Allegedly if you want to win with lots of runes you need a caster but I’ll settle for winning at all.

Cleared depths. Now its either zot, hell or crypt. I can cover most things in zot except the orb of fire giving one bad mutations.
closest I came to dying in depths was a hellion hanging around a hell entrance. That smite/damnation thing they have is bad. When and if I start the orb run I'll have to face pandemonium lords etc all presumably with similar smiting attacks. :hmm:
cross that bridge when i come to it. I have some amazing +15 artefact armour, with a suit of useful resistances but its also no teleport while wearing. it give me 46 AC (as opposed to the 35 I have with plate armour). However when sanguine armour dumps +12 AC on me the 35 jumps to 47. On balance I will just use the normal armour I recon. Even if teleport is slow its good to have it there in emergency. r

Cleared depths. Now its either zot, hell or crypt. I can cover most things in zot except the orb of fire giving one bad mutations.
closest I came to dying in depths was a hellion hanging around a hell entrance. That smite/damnation thing they have is bad. When and if I start the orb run I'll have to face pandemonium lords etc all presumably with similar smiting attacks. :hmm:
cross that bridge when i come to it. I have some amazing +15 artefact armour, with a suit of useful resistances but its also no teleport while wearing. it give me 46 AC (as opposed to the 35 I have with plate armour). However when sanguine armour dumps +12 AC on me the 35 jumps to 47. On balance I will just use the normal armour I recon. Even if teleport is slow its good to have it there in emergency. r

I would just complete it. Leave Hells and stuff till a later run. Once you get through Zot the run back is pretty easy. Just run. Only fight if you absolutely have to.

I would say you're pretty set, from what you've said.

Crypt is alright, Tomb is not. But seriously, just complete it. Don't fanny about.

Potions of mutation also cure mutations. ;)

I had the orb! but I could not get off of Zot five. A gnats ballhair away from victory. Done in by a pandemonium lord :( :mad: . lvl 26 hardman, Hellsreach. RIP.
That was a damn good run though. Next time gadget.

I did try to run and avoid fights but I couldn't get past this fucker and his minions. Disappointing on one hand but on the other hand I know its doable now, by me. Just need another crack at the orb run.

Last edited:
irritating loss last night. Going for rune 2 in swamp, I've walked (carefully, but no sweat) through all four levels to the last chamber of level 4, no lyrnaen hydra. Got surrounded by simalucra of hydras etc. I repeatedly tried to spam summons and nothing happened so I died. I had dozens of ways out of that situation, easy ways but I just fucked it. Convinced a demonspawn berserker is my shot at the 3 rune win though, with the right set of mutations.

irritating loss last night. Going for rune 2 in swamp, I've walked (carefully, but no sweat) through all four levels to the last chamber of level 4, no lyrnaen hydra. Got surrounded by simalucra of hydras etc. I repeatedly tried to spam summons and nothing happened so I died. I had dozens of ways out of that situation, easy ways but I just fucked it. Convinced a demonspawn berserker is my shot at the 3 rune win though, with the right set of mutations.

I did it first with a Demonspawn Gladiator.

Currently in Lair with a(nother) Gargoyle Elementalist.

This time.

I died on vault 4, bastard sealed the doors on me. Second highest on my scoreboard tho at 21

I know I moan about elf but it is unreasonably hard, it expects 4 pips of magic resistance to avoid banishment, which is taking the piss imo. I didn't get banished this time because I constantly boosted Trogs Hand and had some magic resistant gear, But still. Its harder than the two easy runes on lair and that doesn't seem right to me. Immense loot though.

Elf halls 1, hell sentinel. Which the wiki says appears on a few places but it doesn't say elven halls 1. Unfair in the extreme. Shennanigans. I have two other demonspawn on the go at 15 and 16 respectively but both of them have to do spider next with no poison resistance. :mad:

Elf halls 1, hell sentinel. Which the wiki says appears on a few places but it doesn't say elven halls 1. Unfair in the extreme. Shennanigans. I have two other demonspawn on the go at 15 and 16 respectively but both of them have to do spider next with no poison resistance. :mad:

Hell Sentinels at that level is not fair. :(

I’m guessing they would have been summoned - that’s the really nasty bit, when elf demonologists start popping out tier 1 demons. Okay, the odd crystal spear is not much fun either.

I swear it has got way harder recently and it’s not even as if you get a lot out of it. Orc, on the other hand, seems easier.

I've managed to get a Deep Elf to second level of Lair.

Found this early on, never seen it before:
upload_2019-5-4_23-7-42.png

It's a cage that goes round your head. :D

Got 3 runes, cleared everything down to middle of Depths, just having a crack at Crypt and Tomb. I got hold of the Necromutation spell, for the first time ever. No more torment! This makes the end game so much easier (next post "I died in Tomb").

It's the first time I have ever got a normal spellcaster this far. Problem is pretty much anything can kill me with about two hits, makes everything very tense. :D

upload_2019-5-8_22-3-32.png

died within sight of the orb of zot. Absolute rinse. Stupidity man, final chamber of zot 5. By this rate I will manage the three rune win by next January. so close.jpg

Mephitic Cloud + Ignite Poison = Burning clouds
Mephitic Cloud + Ignite Poison + Bjorgolfnor's Vile Clutch = monsters held in burning clouds
Mephitic Cloud + Ignite Poison + BVC + Water = monsters held in burning clouds surrounded by scalding steam.

:)

Paris server (xtahua) has "melted" apparently. Possibly all data lost. :(

and I had a great character on the go as well, cleared everything down to mid-Depths. Apparently it will be back next week maybe but no existing data apart from "maybe some ghosts".

ach, bad luck. I'm still playing on the home version. I have a demonspawn berserker (Shitlord) at the very gates of Zot, 3rd time lucky maybe. I'm going in later.

I found the Desolation of Salt the other day, in elf 1. Loads of enemies I'd never seen before, died far too quickly.

But I am fairly hench with this run:
diabloyola.jpg
that +18 shield is immense. Attempt number 5 on the orb coming up

I found the Desolation of Salt the other day, in elf 1. Loads of enemies I'd never seen before, died far too quickly.

But I am fairly hench with this run:
View attachment 188610
that +18 shield is immense. Attempt number 5 on the orb coming up
Yeah nice. I got an air mage to Vaults 5 yesterday but died. Lost 50 hp in one turn :(.

Desolation is quite cool. Just try to pick em off one at a time, don't let them swarm you. Can be quite hairy though.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom