Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup

:D
Few people I know in the real will understand what an achievement it is tbf, I should make myself a certificate. Bastard of a game sometimes. I pulled off the scroll of immolation move when dropping into vault 5, after that it was all Diabloyola's day, e'ry day.

:D
Few people I know in the real will understand what an achievement it is tbf, I should make myself a certificate. Bastard of a game sometimes. I pulled off the scroll of immolation move when dropping into vault 5, after that it was all Diabloyola's day, e'ry day.
Yes. Don't mention it to real people. They don't get it. It's a proper achievement. Finishing that game is something that not many people do. You should be well happy.

I hadn't even thought of setting everybody on fire in Vaults 5. I always drop those scrolls.

Nice.

4runes.jpg

Fuckin get in, a four rune win. I knew I was on for the orb run and had been wondering if to go four a fourth and if so which one, got hoofed into the abyss on zot 2 and grabbed the abyssal rune while fighting my way out. Would never have tried for that one but I'll take it :cool:
Another use of immolation scroll on vault 5. You only need 2 pips of fire resistance, why not.

Dog just killed me. My actual dog, walked on the spacebar. Left me down to half health, surrounded in Orc Mines. Three bad potion rolls later game over. Bloody mutt.:mad:

Since they stopped supporting old windows and made me have new windows the download version of crawl is irretrievably fucked. It cant do the tiles correctly, big white patches replacing a lot of tiles like walls etc. Looked the problem up and there is no fix.
So I've been playing it on a server with the window fullscreened. massively annoying tbf. Haven't even nicked an easy rune yet.

Since they stopped supporting old windows and made me have new windows the download version of crawl is irretrievably fucked. It cant do the tiles correctly, big white patches replacing a lot of tiles like walls etc. Looked the problem up and there is no fix.
So I've been playing it on a server with the window fullscreened. massively annoying tbf. Haven't even nicked an easy rune yet.

I'm confused. Do you mean here: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup ?

Now is your time.

That character died in Zot. Really frustrating cos it had everything for an attempt on a full rune run (had 5 already) but fell down a shaft and got surrounded. So im giving it a rest for a bit.

I got a new pc, ryzen 7 with graphics out the hoo-ha. First thing I did was download the latest stable version of Crawl for a proper bash at it, works fine now. I got dishonoured 2 as well, but spent longer on crawl last night.

Well I was nearly there.
Code:
MiFi-26 blasted by an orb of fire (Zot:4)

I have to say that I was clearing Zot pretty easily up until the point where a draconian shifter put me in a corridor full of absolute bullshit, and then two blinks made it worse. I did get to use a phantom mirror on an orb of fire though. Would have been better to do that earlier on in the fight when I had more than 30-odd HP.

Last edited:
That character died in Zot. Really frustrating cos it had everything for an attempt on a full rune run (had 5 already)

Happened again. Nearly identical character, killed by a quicksilver dragon of all fucking things. Annoying. Zot 5, 5 runes. Just wanted to clear it before I went and tackled Hells, Pandemonium and all that good stuff. :(

just found "the Elemental Staff" - 2 pips of RF & RC, RElec, buffs elemental damage and MR++.

Swoon.

oh and it does extra random element damage sometimes too

Had my first real close run on the new machine earlier in the week, adjusting to playing on a full size keyboard took some minor getting used to. Demonspawn BZ as usual. Thing is when I went to Vaults I forgot its vault 5 you need to drop into and torch everyone, so I went gung ho into vault 1. It threw me off beam, small error but things spiralled till I hit vault 5 and then ran shit out of luck. And teleport scrolls.

Next time I get three runes I'm going to clear zot and try for two more before doing the orb run.

Had my first real close run on the new machine earlier in the week, adjusting to playing on a full size keyboard took some minor getting used to. Demonspawn BZ as usual. Thing is when I went to Vaults I forgot its vault 5 you need to drop into and torch everyone, so I went gung ho into vault 1. It threw me off beam, small error but things spiralled till I hit vault 5 and then ran shit out of luck. And teleport scrolls.

Next time I get three runes I'm going to clear zot and try for two more before doing the orb run.

V5 is always a pain. I tried your immolate tactic the other day, worked alright. Bit dicey though. 😁

I fucked it up in D15. Killed by an Orc Knight (!). Had more than 10 heal wounds in my pack, just tried to style it out. Ridiculous.

Lots of magic has changed in 0.25 btw. BVC is pretty fucked, dispel undead is touch range but there a couple of other new things to try.

Tomb, by a country mile. Lichform completely changes the game. Makes you immune to torment, gives full cold & negative resistance and no hunger. You just have to target anything that can cast dispel undead or hellfire. Pan & Hell were reasonably straightforwards, Tomb had me popping back upstairs a few times when I was low on health and MP. I cleared Zot reasonably early and that was a bit tricky but the closest I came to dying was a transporter on Crypt 1.

The new level 9 cold spell is "Absolute Zero". It turns any monster into a block of ice with no resistances but you can't target it, it affects the closest one. Turning a Pan lord or one of the lords of Hell into a block of ice instantly is pretty funny.

Code:
      155711 fridge the Impaler (level 17, -17/135 HPs)
             Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on June 26, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Makhleb.
             Killed by burning poison
             ... invoked by fridge's illusion (illusionary)
             ... woven by Mara
              (48 damage)
             ... on level 3 of the Spider Nest on July 3, 2020.
             The game lasted 02:41:23 (30228 turns).
So that might need some explanation: I was in Spiders Nest and was using poison plus Ignite Poison to a pretty profitable effect - bugs are usually vulnerable to poison, and at max poison level Ignite does an awful lot of damage.

Unfortunately I then met Mara and also Roxanne at the same time. I should really have just run away but I tried to fight it out. I killed Roxanne but that just gave Mara lots of time to clone both himself and me. I did kill a lot of stuff with a wand of clouds and sometimes ignite poison again when that made poison gas, but in the end, an emperor scorpion somehow poisoned me (through my resistance) and then my clone used my own bloody spell and blew me up.

I don't mind that one so much, at least it's different.

slaughterbot.jpg

Early days but this is a promising run. I need to get a win on this PC's scoreboard so I'm only after three and the orb. New things I have no time for: boomerangs except silver ones occasionally just in case but they never get used really. Amulet of acrobat, no use really is it, I'm building a tank here. Some use early game when you need any edge maybe.

No more burning spellbooks, that was good shit, every now and then you'd catch something standing on one when you set it off.
Pretty sure this is new though and I do approve:

14axe.jpg

every time you score a hit it will call up a demon or three :cool:
Using the obsidian axe[3] can be more than a little irritating, but its excellent stats may make up for it. If you are wielding this broad axe and a monster is visible, you will be mesmerized and restricted from moving any farther away from the monster: "Visions of slaying the [monster] flood into your mind." If there are multiple monsters, you will fixate on the closest one. When mesmerized by the axe, you lose any current confusion and gain temporary clarity (suggesting a possible emergency use, if you lack potions of curing). Unwielding the axe dispels all forms of mesmerization, even if sirens or merfolk avatars are involved[4]. Of course, you'll need to use a scroll of remove curse every time you want to remove the axe.

The mesmerization property of this weapon can potentially be very dangerous, for instance if it forces you to run headlong into a group of strong melee monsters instead of retreating into a corridor to fight them.

only used it for emergencies so far.

View attachment 223040

Early days but this is a promising run. I need to get a win on this PC's scoreboard so I'm only after three and the orb. New things I have no time for: boomerangs except silver ones occasionally just in case but they never get used really. Amulet of acrobat, no use really is it, I'm building a tank here. Some use early game when you need any edge maybe.

No more burning spellbooks, that was good shit, every now and then you'd catch something standing on one when you set it off.
Pretty sure this is new though and I do approve:

View attachment 223042

every time you score a hit it will call up a demon or three :cool:

only used it for emergencies so far.

Not seen that item before. Looks pretty good, are the demons friendly when you summon them?

You look pretty set, got everything there. I've been trying octopodes, got started with one a couple of times but then fucked it up. Might give it another go in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom