Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup

Troll Monk. Wearing the skin of another troll for the LOLs.

Getting towards the natural ceiling for trolls (can't wear decent armour, shit skills, no magic). Regen is good but isn't going to help immediately and you have no escape plans except for Scrolls of teleport and haste potions.

I did get three artifact weapons on one level. So that's helped a bit.

"Playing Crawl is a little bit like gambling; all moves are calculated commitments to chance. Good gamblers don't practice by replaying their cards, they play lots and over time learn patterns and count chance/statistics."

-Sun Tzu on reddit

"Playing Crawl is a little bit like gambling; all moves are calculated commitments to chance. Good gamblers don't practice by replaying their cards, they play lots and over time learn patterns and count chance/statistics."

-Sun Tzu on reddit
He gets everywhere.

I thought worker ants on D:2 ffs was taking the piss, but D:3 gave me a +9 axe of Hepliaklqana (see invis, resist something, antimagic) and a +3 amultet of reflection. This could be the one!

I'll die soon

I just cleared level 15 of the main dungeon. Without dying. I did not intend to stay up till 4. This s the furthest I have ever got without dying. Gargoyle berserker. When you level up to 14 you grow wings and can fly constant. :cool:

I just cleared level 15 of the main dungeon. Without dying. I did not intend to stay up till 4. This s the furthest I have ever got without dying. Gargoyle berserker. When you level up to 14 you grow wings and can fly constant. :cool:

Gargoyles are a good race, lots of AC, immunity to poison which is really helpful in Snake Pit and the Spider one.

Be careful of Slime Pit, it is a fucker, but good chance from here #nopressure

I've got a Spriggan Enchanter to the same level. Just cleared out Orc Mines and most of Lair (it got a bit much after about level 5 so I'm going to come back later). I think this is the furthest I've ever got a spellcaster.

Gargoyles are a good race, lots of AC, immunity to poison which is really helpful in Snake Pit and the Spider one.

I've got a Spriggan Enchanter to the same level. Just cleared out Orc Mines and most of Lair (it got a bit much after about level 5 so I'm going to come back later). I think this is the furthest I've ever got a spellcaster.
I will tackle lair first. if I can find it ddn't see an entrance on the way down, just one to the vaults and one to the orcish mines. Epic game last night tho, I got a +10 dagger of piercing with resist heat and a +10 dexterity boost. Have not looked back, the dagger is Fragile, it says it will break if unwielded . So I have a demon trident maxed to +8 and a +6 war axe of freezing and a flaming greatsword, none of which have been used yet cos I don't want to lose this winning weapon.

And...died. :D

Hydra Form ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I will tackle lair first. if I can find it ddn't see an entrance on the way down, just one to the vaults and one to the orcish mines. Epic game last night tho, I got a +10 dagger of piercing with resist heat and a +10 dexterity boost. Have not looked back, the dagger is Fragile, it says it will break if unwielded . So I have a demon trident maxed to +8 and a +6 war axe of freezing and a flaming greatsword, none of which have been used yet cos I don't want to lose this winning weapon.

If you use Shift G you will see a list of all the branches you've found.

Troll armour and trogs hand give a good regen rate for toe to toes as well.

I don't know what the use is in training skills, I see others online recommending it. I'll set training targets for the weapon I am holding, but other than that no. Dunno if it matters

Almost scared to go back in case I lose my game straight away lol. Of course I would hit a winning streak with a character I named in a fit of childish vulgarity 'Dripping Gash'. So thats just going to sit at the top of the leaderboard for a while then

I don't know what the use is in training skills, I see others online recommending it. I'll set training targets for the weapon I am holding, but other than that no. Dunno if it matters

Training just allows you to adjust the percentages of XP that go towards each skill.

I don't know whether to focus on the things you are good at, so you get really good at them.

Or train up the stuff you're less good at and leave the others to train up anyway cos your modifier will make sure it goes quick whatever you do.

I usually make sure that spellcasting or fighting or stealth is always on. Less so for individual weapons cos you might swap later. Spell schools when you want to quickly be able to use a more powerful spell.

You also get HPs and MPs for some skills as you put them up. (I think)

How do you name characters? I've never seen that.

Weapon skills directly contribute to accuracy, damage and reducing the attack delay, all of which increase damage per turn. Fighting gives some small bonuses but mostly increases your HP per level.

Spell skills (not Spellcasting) increase power and success % for casting. Spellcasting mostly just increases your MP and spell points available for learning - it's more like Fighting vs weapon skills.

I always put training on manual and train primary weapon, plus a couple of other ones as and when they're useful. For instance if I get a shield I'll maybe turn everything else off for a bit and just train Shields. Training Invocations is useful for gods with special abilities that use it, as opposed to, say, Trog, who doesn't need Invocations at all. I'll often put points into Armour if I've got heavy armour as that reduces penalties from it. Evocations is useful if you get an item that has an evocable effect like blinking.

Training just allows you to adjust the percentages of XP that go towards each skill.

I don't know whether to focus on the things you are good at, so you get really good at them.

Or train up the stuff you're less good at and leave the others to train up anyway cos your modifier will make sure it goes quick whatever you do.

I usually make sure that spellcasting or fighting or stealth is always on. Less so for individual weapons cos you might swap later. Spell schools when you want to quickly be able to use a more powerful spell.

You also get HPs and MPs for some skills as you put them up. (I think)

How do you name characters? I've never seen that.
at the start screen above 'crawl' and tutorial etc menu. where the name is,click there and type. Its particularly amusing or not when a player ghost of ARSEHOLE kills me early doors.

I'v just cleaned out lair 1-6, relatively easy after dungeons last two floors tbf! Not sure wether I am tough enough to do snake pit for the rune, I am poison resistant to the nines, have a ring of fire resistance so...

its either that or have a bash at orc mines, no rune in it but to level up past 16 mebbe.

at the start screen above 'crawl' and tutorial etc menu. where the name is,click there and type. Its particularly amusing or not when a player ghost of ARSEHOLE kills me early doors.

I'v just cleaned out lair 1-6, relatively easy after dungeons last two floors tbf! Not sure wether I am tough enough to do snake pit for the rune, I am poison resistant to the nines, have a ring of fire resistance so...

its either that or have a bash at orc mines, no rune in it but to level up past 16 mebbe.
Orc mines is not that hard if you've cleared most of the dungeon, though be careful with orc warlords, and sorcerors/high priests can spam demon summoning so take them out quickly.

Elven halls (which is accessible through orc mines) is not as easy as it might appear, particularly level 3. Also, Depths, which are at the bottom of the dungeon, are really not as easy as just another dungeon level.

Basically past a certain point everything is horribly hard and can kill you at a moment's notice. You need to have an escape route planned at every point and never think "oh this looks easy I'll just dive right in here". In some games, getting to high levels means that you're basically invincible - in Crawl, it just means that everything that is trying to kill you is now super deadly, and you need to take more care than on level 1 with hobgoblins.

This death was so avoidable, if I had teleported sooner. I was making for the stairs to stair dance and thought I could take him... snake pit 2nd floor

dead.jpg

One slip of judgement. RIP, Dripping Gash.

Been playing Demonspawn to try out different mutations. Also been using that Gold god. Never really tried it before but he's good. Gold basically stops being a worry and you can buy anything you find. You can also get sets of potion effects instantly for a bit of gold (which you have plenty of).

Anyway, I bought a +13 set of Crystal Plate from a shop. Cleared Lair, Orc Mine and on 3rd level of Elven Halls. Been a couple of moments in there but still alive. AC is 44 :D

And died. On my third expedition to the Abyss to try and find the rune. Saw it once but couldn't get to it :(

Four runes though, just reached a bit too far. :(

d:15, titanic slime cunt. Last chamber of the level. Had relaxed into 'wonder if I shall tackle lair first or do orc mines'. Never got the chance. RIP Grimscythe, gargoyle berserk warrior of trog and owner of the best vampiric axe. RIP m8.

I had rock solid 32 strength and 30 ac as well, armour with +5 slay

At this point my goal is a rune. It was just 'clear the dungeon' but now I have done that once I thirst for more.

I had rock solid 32 strength and 30 ac as well, armour with +5 slay

At this point my goal is a rune. It was just 'clear the dungeon' but now I have done that once I thirst for more.

Those are decent stats for that time in the game. I'm at Elven Halls, got 2 runes, but only 20 odd AC and EV. Got a mutation that reduces armour penalty. Can I find any decent heavy armour? Can I fuck.

Got a +11 Great Mace though, so there is that.

If you can clear the dungeon then getting runes isn't much more difficult. Clear out Orc Mines, then Spiders or Snakes, then Swamp or Shoals and then maybe Elven Halls or Vaults before Depths. Just make sure you have poison resistance for the first lot. And there's no shame in running off and trying a different branch if you're finding it difficult or you're not quite up to the level. Just don't go anywhere near Slime Pit. ;)

Oh I forgot about Lair. The only things to worry about in there are Hydras. Most of the monsters are beasts, hard-hitting but no resistances. Decent AC and Poison Resistance will see you past most of them.

Died in the Depths. :( Some fucking acid bird or something.
Caustic shrikes. They are on my “do not fuck with” list, along with titanic slime creatures, funnily enough.

I got my troll monk of Makhleb killed by Roxanne yesterday, a fairly rare unique. I sent in a load of summons to block LoS but then she blinked me to the other side of her and iron shotted me twice when I tried to close to melee. Fair play I suppose.

Yeah. I was more bothered about the liches and fire giants and dragons. Ignored the birds until I noticed I had no armour left. :(

sonja.png

Nice. Where's that interface from? Looks different to mine.

It maybe it's the same but I don't have the inventory on show...
I'm playing offline, apparently its slightly diff for online..is the above what you see when playing? its the image result for 'dungeon crawl online screenshot'

sonja.png

I'm playing offline, apparently its slightly diff for online..is the above what you see when playing? its the image result for 'dungeon crawl online screenshot'
Yeah. There's probably a setting somewhere to change the format i guess.

I'm persisting with Spriggans and trying Ashenzari at the moment. You have to curse all your items and you get skill boosts and can see through walls and stuff.

Also found the +8 Autumn Katana :cool: But cos my weapon is always cursed I never use it. :(

Back
Top Bottom