Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup

And if you train spell skills you'll get more MP.

I just found a random amulet artefact called "shit". :)

Got a rune again. Same one as last time - spiders. Going to try swamp and slime next.

I have entrances to hell and pandemonium as well but going to steer well clear I think.

ADOM is up on Steam by the way. For a tenner, but it does seem to have had a bit of a makeover. :)

Got to level 2 of the Realm of Zot.

Found "a strange structure made of doors". Opened some of the doors. Found 4 Orbs of Fire and assorted other things. Tried to fight them to see what would happen. Ended up using 3 Blink scrolls and potion of haste to make it back to the stairs, with 17hp out of 258.

Nothing worked and I'm mutated to shit. :(

thread killer :p Doesn't count if you're not online, anyway!

I still keep dying all the time. I got quite far with a Troll Wanderer recently; you can get reasonable Int and a spell or two if you're lucky, which makes trolls drastically better, particularly if you get some Necromancy and can use skeletons as meat (bone) shields.

thread killer :p Doesn't count if you're not online, anyway!

I still keep dying all the time. I got quite far with a Troll Wanderer recently; you can get reasonable Int and a spell or two if you're lucky, which makes trolls drastically better, particularly if you get some Necromancy and can use skeletons as meat (bone) shields.

I'm still playing! Actually managed to get a Deep Elf past level 6, got to 11 or 12 and thought I'd do alright and then got killed by something stupid.

I didn't realise there were conditions. :)

There's been an update :)

There's a new god. Something to do with devices, I worshipped him not realising that he blocks magic regeneration.

I tried to revoke my religion once I realised. He has continued to block my magic regeneration. :facepalm:

I'm screwed.

That sounds like a change to trunk—don't think there's been a new version of 0.17.

Currently running a demonspawn berserker who managed to find a +13 artefact crystal plate armour, also giving Str +4. My AC is currently 51 :hmm: This partially makes up for all my mutations being rubbish and Trog consistently gifting me bullshit (thanks, more arrows, didn't have any of those, oh and a sling! how kind).

Just got through the Snake Pit. I had to use Brothers In Arms quite a lot but it wasn't that bad, apart from naga ritualists. They're okay if you have good MR, but if you don't, they can knock out your poison resistance and actually make you poison vulnerable, as well as increasing your poison level, and then the rest of the nagas in the area just poison you to death. Good ranged skills help a lot here, particularly arrows of freezing to deal with salamanders (who aren't all that nasty tbh).

fuck the Abyss :mad:

Wretched stars can basically give you three mutations a turn, and even if they're temporary, you can be completely stopped from escaping by the fact that you can't read any scrolls or heal yourself. Combine that with a load of starcursed masses splitting and doing unresistable damage every turn and sometimes paralysing you... bah.

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 11.40.25.png

I'd just like to say that whilst I have still not managed to get anywhere at all, I did at least get killed by something I've never been killed by before the other day, which was the Moon Troll.

Lehudib's Moon Base - CrawlWiki

Hill Orc of Beogh but unfortunately you can't take your orc followers into wizards' labs, and I had got a bit overconfident, realising only too late that I wasn't quite so hard without a dozen or so orc knights with branded weapons and arbalests.

Still play this from time to time. But have now got "Shattered Pixel Dungeon" on my phone which is a similar sorta thing and lots of fun.

Not done spectacularly well so far but I did start to get a feel for things in the run where grinder killed me after I'd used a wand of polymorph to turn him into a smoke demon. I've met and killed another unique as well, natasha iirc. Oh she's on the list having slain me. That polar bear kill was trogs vengeance, I found a room of temples and switched gods. Turns out trog is not mocked.
Untitled.jpg

I'll try something other than berserker runs eventually

Last edited:
Still playing this. Been clearing the dungeon pretty consistently but not getting anywhere with the lair or any of the branches. Been using a spriggan assassin - nice and quick so you can run away if you get into a spot but doesn't really pack enough punch once poison stops working.

I'm still struggling to break the 9 barrier. I keep doing stupid rushed shit in the heat of the moment. Loaded for bear, wands of this, runed weapon, teleport and blink scrolls, three emergency lignification potions to tree my way out of a brawl....and then I toe to toe with a vampire, or a ghost of myself or whatever and just hammer the attack button rather than thinking about my gear and how to use it. Still, progress of a sort.

crawl.jpg

I'm still struggling to break the 9 barrier. I keep doing stupid rushed shit in the heat of the moment. Loaded for bear, wands of this, runed weapon, teleport and blink scrolls, three emergency lignification potions to tree my way out of a brawl....and then I toe to toe with a vampire, or a ghost of myself or whatever and just hammer the attack button rather than thinking about my gear and how to use it. Still, progress of a sort.

Sounds like you're well ahead of me, I have to stick with characters that walk into things to kill them and when I get into trouble read all my unidentified scrolls and hope.

The best I've managed has been playing a Hill Orc Priest and picking up some massive Orcs from the Orcish Mines to kill things for me.

Sounds like you're well ahead of me, I have to stick with characters that walk into things to kill them and when I get into trouble read all my unidentified scrolls and hope.

The best I've managed has been playing a Hill Orc Priest and picking up some massive Orcs from the Orcish Mines to kill things for me.
I always quaff and read everything the moment I've picked it up unless I have surplus identify scrolls. Found an armour shop last run through, couldn't afford anything lol.

Last edited:
Hill Orc Priest
Download a newer version - priests have been gone since like years ago :hmm: or play online like Real Gamerz

In general the fighter types are the easiest to get ahead with, particularly berserkers. But you never get anywhere without knowing how to run. That's the really important thing about Crawl and roguelikes generally - you can't tough this shit out, you need to know when to back off and be able to do so. Teleport scrolls, haste potions, hanging around the up stairs, whatever it takes.

Last edited:
Download a newer version - priests have been gone since like years ago :hmm: or play online like Real Gamerz

You're right I meant Monk. If you're an Orc the first time you meet an Orc Priest you're given the option of converting to Beogh. If you've picked an unaligned Monk then you start with a chunk of faith which means most Orcs are friendly and will join you. It's great.

That might be a few versions old to be fair

You're right I meant Monk. If you're an Orc the first time you meet an Orc Priest you're given the option of converting to Beogh. If you've picked an unaligned Monk then you start with a chunk of faith which means most Orcs are friendly and will join you. It's great.

That might be a few versions old to be fair

Nah, still works now. My one was going great until he got sent to the Abyss. :( On his own. :(

I had a level 10 minotaur fighter with all the gear, even found some crystal plate armour. Got to the second map of the Lair and died with teleport scrolls in my pocket and health potions unquaffed . I was Wu Jain as well which gives you an amazing wall bounce, like a mini blink move. I also liked this minotaur fighter loaded down with armour and shield busting the House of Flying Daggers moves. I need to work on the 'know when to run' thing lol

Back
Top Bottom