Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet Transfers Summer 2020

Barnes lost a bit of confidence but you can see there's a player there, and has got a goal or two in him as well. His pace will be an asset. Playing Left Back didn't help him all that much either, but was part of a strategy to cover for Orlu being incredibly slow that also saw Chapman wasted at Right Back.

Higgs looks like he's played quite a bit of football for a 23 year old and at a higher level with Bromley. Hopeful of this one.

Interesting that he's opted to keep Barnes, as mentioned already he looked like a good steal early doors but as the season went on his confidence definitely took a knock. I'd like to see him play on the wing, great feet and really fast. I just don't think positionally he's that great as a full back, we got caught out and punished on occasions where he was so high last year.

Higgs is good, one year older than me so I remember seeing him play academy games for Bromley and he's made 150+ apps for their first team since. He's really versatile but I should imagine he'll play somewhere in midfield for us.

Barnes is today's official announcement by the club. (Presumably Higgs is tomorrow's but the Southwark News has jumped the gun!)

Barnes is definitely a prospect and has a decent all round game, possibly better as a wing back or even a winger rather than a full back. Higgs has been a fairly regular starter for Bromley for four seasons, although not so frequently last season.

Love Aaron's dad. Don't be kicking his boy on the floor while he's about.
That Havant defender was undoubtedly the biggest arse of last season across all three games against us, beginning with overreacting to mild verbals from the terraces within a few minutes of the start of the first meeting. He was sent off once for denying Mills a clear scoring opportunity and lucky not to be sent off on both other occasions, for kicking Barnes and for a bad foul on Mills.

That Havant defender was undoubtedly the biggest arse of last season across all three games against us, beginning with overreacting to mild verbals from the terraces within a few minutes of the start of the first meeting. He was sent off once for denying Mills a clear scoring opportunity and lucky not to be sent off on both other occasions, for kicking Barnes and for a bad foul on Mills.
There's a trio of them at Havant and, aside from the way they play the game, they are all instantly identifiable by their actual very big arses. Was an absolute pleasure to watch them throw it away against Dartford in the playoffs, with the obvious downside of having to play them again this season.

Most unlikeable team since that Sammy Moore Concorde side.

There's a trio of them at Havant and, aside from the way they play the game, they are all instantly identifiable by their actual very big arses. Was an absolute pleasure to watch them throw it away against Dartford in the playoffs, with the obvious downside of having to play them again this season.

Most unlikeable team since that Sammy Moore Concorde side.
Yes, Simon Walton was the prime arse. I don't recall the names of the other two. And now they've added Moussa Diarrhoea, the giant ox from Woking who crocked Connor Hunte, to their array of arses.

Glad we kept Barnes. Think he had a difficult period last season but he was pretty exciting in the early stages. Hope he can regain some confidence.

Completely agree. Why we insisted on playing Barnes at left back when we had Connors and Smith is beyond me. Looked really uncomfortable playing there.

Think he's a cracking right back, though - Mills aside, Quade, Barnes and Monlouis were the three I really wanted us to keep. Hopefully he gets the no. 2 shirt for the whole season. I think he'll really blossom with a full season there.

Completely agree. Why we insisted on playing Barnes at left back when we had Connors and Smith is beyond me. Looked really uncomfortable playing there.

Think he's a cracking right back, though - Mills aside, Quade, Barnes and Monlouis were the three I really wanted us to keep. Hopefully he gets the no. 2 shirt for the whole season. I think he'll really blossom with a full season there.
Under the circumstances I thought Chapman, who was often playing at right back when Barnes was at left back, would have been the better bet at left back simply because he's got a better left foot. Obviously you sometimes need to ask someone to fill an unfamiliar role but it really frustrates me how often we seem to end up with several players out of their best position at the same time.

I'd like to have kept Monlouis too. Of the remaining unconfirmed players I'd also particularly like to keep Monakana; Grainger too, but you can usually find one decent goalkeeper from somewhere even on a tight budget.

Under the circumstances I thought Chapman, who was often playing at right back when Barnes was at left back, would have been the better bet at left back simply because he's got a better left foot. Obviously you sometimes need to ask someone to fill an unfamiliar role but it really frustrates me how often we seem to end up with several players out of their best position at the same time.

I'd like to have kept Monlouis too. Of the remaining unconfirmed players I'd also particularly like to keep Monakana; Grainger too, but you can usually find one decent goalkeeper from somewhere even on a tight budget.

Jeffrey Monakana is unplayable on his day: consistency is his issue. However I understand he's from Tulse Hill so being local might help! Monlouis never seemed to get a fair crack of the whip - shipped out on loan to Margate very early, played well on his return against Chelmsford, then quickly out the side again. Particularly when other players contributed very little and continually retained their place in the side.

Grainger is a bloody superb goalie and I really hope we can keep him. Ainsworth too, a lot of quality and experience there.

Entirely unverified, and therefore firmly in the category of wild speculation, but seen mention on their forum that a Nathan Smith scored for Welling in their friendly against Aveley on Tuesday.

Entirely unverified, and therefore firmly in the category of wild speculation, but seen mention on their forum that a Nathan Smith scored for Welling in their friendly against Aveley on Tuesday.

Just keep an eye on Welling's team if you want to see a lots of familiar names.Smith and Ainsworth were definitely there in early pre season.

Just keep an eye on Welling's team if you want to see a lots of familiar names.Smith and Ainsworth were definitely there in early pre season.

Are they joining Dipo and Tony Cook in the ex-Hamlet crew there? (Plus when we played down there in the winter Sanchez Ming was at RB IIRC, but it was cold and a bloody awful game)

I’m disappointed to hear we won’t be retaining Nathan Smith or Ainsworth, I thought Smith was particularly good defensively last season and could possibly have done a job at CB if needed. I guess ultimately these two were probably quite high earners given their league pedigrees.

The club was not in a position to offer players out of contract any new terms at the end of last season so they were welcome to look elsewhere to secure their futures. Obviously the club will also have to operate on a much reduced budget because of the business model it operates. That means many players may not fit into the budget.

Good job we got him and Dempsey in for that Carlisle game. Dempsey probably can't even remember playing for us and Smith's gone before the start of the next season.

Quade's a more forgiving man than I am.

An excellent point. I'm slightly obsessing about where C.Smith is going to bowl up.
He might have been even higher in our goalscoring charts if he hadn't lost the penalty taker role by blasting one against the crossbar in the pre-season game with Spurs.

Ultimately he wasn't as good as the bloke he replaced, Michael Chambers, in a bigger budget team. I'd still take him ahead of Ijaha as a holding midfielder though.

Happy that we have retained Lewis, though it's seemed tricky to reintegrate players who have gone out on loan and played regularly. Think he has a load of talent but it's about putting it together and building confidence again. Looks like he was starting to do that in his spell at Carshalton prior to the break, getting on the scoresheet regularly.

Back
Top Bottom