Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet Transfers Summer 2020

Nothing to do with them not winning. I've been there week in, week out throughout seasons when we've been no better than average, when we've been relegated. The suggestion that I'm throwing my toys out the pram because we're not bulldozing our way through the division is completely unfair.

R I am not questioning your loyalty. Mistakes were made last season and should not be repeated! We had two high profile players injured for the whole season too. I predict GR & JK will have us mid table or better by the end of this season. When they do I'll be happy we didn't make a change. I am missing football on Saturdays and look forward to chatting with you at the first game.

Last edited:
Absolutely - I get the stadium situation has made things difficult, and my original post sounds more scathing on the Directors than originally intended.

Personally, I don't think Gavin would have survived last season had it not been for a global pandemic. That's the bit I find frustrating.

I think we would still attract good candidates. Some quite high-profile names were very visibly sniffing around just after Meadow let us back in to CH and our form was fairly poor. I know we're further down the line now, and those people may not have been so keen had the application been rejected, but I don't think we'd have been short of options. That is purely speculative, mind. I just feel we're in desperate need of change in the dugout. It's the same mistakes and the same scapegoating of players when something goes wrong. I just don't like it. I don't want to do something every weekend that doesn't give me much enjoyment anymore.
I'm very suspicious of these managers who like to turn up to remind everyone they're available. If indeed any of them were hoping to put themselves in the frame for a possible vacancy I suspect they assumed all our troubles were over the moment we were allowed back home and that we immediately had a much bigger budget. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also some of the same people who were advising players not to sign for us while we were locked out and telling everyone the club was about to go bust.

When there is a change of manager, whenever that next happens, I'm sure we'll be very well placed to choose from a large number of candidates. However let's remember we may have to operate with a far smaller playing budget this season. Two seasons ago our wage bill was "about average for the division" according to Gavin Rose in a video interview. Median budget for the division was £250k per season according to Ben Clasper addressing a supporters forum. So that's about £6,000 a week for the 40/42 week part time season. For the season just ended we switched to a full time training regime and were told that we needed an average crowd of 2,100 to cover the team budget. I can't believe we were paying less than £10,000 a week to employ a squad of around twenty players full time, though I'm guessing it wouldn't have been much more than that. All reports and rumours regarding pandemic measures suggest that our ground capacity may be restricted to not much more than a quarter of what we needed to cover last season's budget, and half at the absolute most if we're lucky, i.e. 500-1,000. Most other clubs either won't be severely affected by reduced capacity because they get smaller crowds and/or have larger grounds, and most of them seem to have some sort of benefactor/sponsor. (Although some clubs may have other problems we don't have if they were already struggling with debts, or if benefactors and sponsors have been hit by the pandemic and are no longer in a position to subsidise them.) Unless we can get some sort of sponsorship to plug the hole our job suddenly doesn't look quite so sexy to any prospective new manager who may have been eyeing it up before the pandemic.

Of course the planning decision regarding the ground redevelopment makes us look a very attractive club to work for in the longer term, but right now we aren't especially well placed to be thinking in terms of a promotion push from where I'm looking, regardless of who the manager is. I'm very concerned that there's been so little information on players remaining or joining for next season. Last season we seemed to spend money poorly on too many players who didn't deliver, then kept bringing in more players who weren't really an upgrade on those who were already here. We ended up with a very large squad (several of whom were farmed out on loan) and kept chopping an changing our selection too frequently. The season was obviously a total write off but it worries me that several of the younger players who seemed to have potential to grow and improve with us that are reported to have left so far. I'm assuming the whole full time training regime will have to be scrapped and that we'll be operating with a budget more similar to what we had when we were promoted. I just hope Gavin will be able to pull together a competitive squad that punches its weight, because we always seem to fare worse when we start a new season with mostly new players.

Updated comings and goings (Well, goings)

Unconfirmed:
Lionel Ainsworth
Diogo Barbosa
Aaron Barnes
Tom Chambers
Jack Connors
Preston Edwards
Charlie Grainger
Connor Hunte
David Ijaha
David Kuagica
Marvin McCoy
Danny Mills
Jeffrey Monakana
Maliq Morris
Shamir Mullings
Richard Orlu
Christian Smith
Nathan Smith
Jamie Splatt
Quade Taylor
Dominic Vose
Lewis White

Loans expired:
Reise Allassani
Jesse Debrah

Departures:
Ben Chapman (Ebbsfleet United)
Nyren Clunis
Dylan Kearney (Hayes & Yeading)
Kieran Monlouis
Aryan Tajbakhsh

Preston is next to leave

Gutted obvs, but was he not operating in a coaching capacity last season? Does this mean that the club can't afford this going forward, or does he want to be playing regularly again? Anyway best of luck to him & thanks for the memory's

Gutted obvs, but was he not operating in a coaching capacity last season? Does this mean that the club can't afford this going forward, or does he want to be playing regularly again? Anyway best of luck to him & thanks for the memory'
I believe he had a player-coach role and he was out on loan with Cheshunt at the time of the lockdown. Charlie Grainger was the established first choice by then, although looking at the other departures I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves too. (I think Preston and Charlie live at Harlow and Enfield respectively.)

We had one of the biggest budgets in the division last season and we're going to be hit harder than anyone else by reduced capacity limits, so I think it's fairly clear that we'll be forced to recruit cheaper and more local players until we're able to fill the ground again on matchdays.

I believe he had a player-coach role and he was out on loan with Cheshunt at the time of the lockdown. Charlie Grainger was the established first choice by then, although looking at the other departures I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves too. (I think Preston and Charlie live at Harlow and Enfield respectively.)

We had one of the biggest budgets in the division last season and we're going to be hit harder than anyone else by reduced capacity limits, so I think it's fairly clear that we'll be forced to recruit cheaper and more local players until we're able to fill the ground again on matchdays.
I'm sure you're right, so putting on my glass half full beer goggles, maybe "cheaper more local" might be a return to the values some might think the club has lacked of late. Next season is going to be interesting.

Think that's a story that will be replicated across a lot of non league, with players signing for clubs nearer home as pay cuts hit and they have to get other jobs. Ade Yusuff is a teaching assistant, for example, and went from us to Dover in the league above. He's now at Cray Valley Paper Mills as I think he lives in Sidcup or Bexleyheath. Thanks to Preston for his great service to the club and hope he continues to enjoy his football and family.

Think that's a story that will be replicated across a lot of non league. Ade Yusuff is a teaching assistant for example. Thanks to Preston for his great service to the club and hope he continues to enjoy his football and family.
Yes, I'm sure the question of balancing work and family commitments will cause a lot of players to re-evaluate their footballing situation. It's also an indication that, despite being "full time" with the daytime training sessions last season, we simply don't appear to be in a position to pay players enough that they feel they don't need to have any other employment. I think every player without e3xception whose was profiled in last season's programme had other employment of some sort. I would imagine a lot of players would rather just keep a fairly steady day job and train part time in the evenings, which means the "full time" club at our level probably misses out on a lot of decent signings, so very much swings and roundabouts despite the apparent advantage of training for longer hours during the day.

New signing a day for the next 8 days (at least) via twitter/FB/website..

Everyday at 1pm for the next week, apparently, which seems a touch overly dramatic, especially as most clubs at our level have been communicating regularly with their supporters for weeks whilst we've had near silence.

If the first announcement is Danny Mills celebrating the second year of his contract with a symbolic re-signing ceremony, I shall be most sad.

We know Danny Mills has another season. There's still a fair nucleus of players not accounted for, so presumably most of these (at least those who were regulars) have been invited to stay.

Updated

Confirmed:
Jesse Debrah (from Millwall)
Danny Mills

Unconfirmed:
Lionel Ainsworth
Diogo Barbosa
Aaron Barnes
Tom Chambers
Charlie Grainger
David Kuagica
Jeffrey Monakana