Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet Transfers Summer 2020

Left footed too (I think) so should add a bit of balance to the midfield. Feel we've missed that in recent seasons. Top of my head I cant think of a central midfield player we've had that was particularly adept with that foot since Beaney. You could possibly throw Ferguson into that category maybe.

Last edited:
Left footed too (I think) so should add a bit of balance to the midfield. Feel we've missed that in recent seasons. Top of my head I cant think of a central midfield player we've had that was particlarly adept with that foot since Beaney. You could possibly throw Ferguson into that category maybe.

Having a left footed CB and CM in any team is a huge plus. Although I here he is very good with both feet.

The 35-year-old midfielder says he would have doubtless agreed terms with the Fleet but for another opportunity he couldn’t refuse – and even then it was a major decision for him.

“It was an extremely hard decision and I want to make absolutely clear I don’t say that lightly,” Timlin told the Fleet website. “I don’t want people to think I’m leaving for any reason other than it’s a personal opportunity for me, an option that was on the table for about a year but when I was playing at a higher level, I didn’t think I’d get it. It’s not something I can say too much about at the moment but it involves linking up with someone I’ve known since I was young and were it not for this, I’d have been an Ebbsfleet player.

Sounds like he's going to be fairly commited to the Hamlet.

It seems we've lost nearly all of last year's regular starters. I'm sad to see Connors, Chapman and Kearney go. I think they all have a lot to offer. Also, immensely sad to see Nyren leave but I think he's become much less effective in the last 2 years and a change might do him good. We all know that when Gavin makes mass changes the team often struggles, so I really hope he gets it right this time and brings in some quality players who can gel quickly. Really hope Grainger stays and it's great we have Danny for another year. Curious that we appear to be retaining so many 'fringe' players at the moment. Perhaps Gavin is cutting his wage bill and focusing on using more youngsters this season? Or maybe some of the squad players will depart too?

I'd imagine that cutting the wage bill isn't exactly optional given the circumstances...
Yes, we went from about £6k a week in the first National South season with all the uncertainty over the ground to what can't have been much short of double that last season, and largely wasted it. I guess (hope) we're now back to around £6k a week again, possibly lower, which clearly precludes a full time regime.

Frankly I just want to see entertaining football. Not too fussed about league position. I remember great seasons under Frank Murphy and Dave Garland finishing halfway.

Swindon supporting mate of mine rated Timlin, box to box midfielder with a goal in him. As long as he still has the legs (or can spray it around like Pirlo), and doesn't think he's above the level, could be a good head to have around

Swindon supporting mate of mine rated Timlin, box to box midfielder with a goal in him. As long as he still has the legs (or can spray it around like Pirlo), and doesn't think he's above the level, could be a good head to have around
Timlin will be an excellent voice in the dressing room, regardless of whether he is made captain or not he will give his all. Just before the start of last season I went to watch training to get some interviews, he was training that day, and despite not being a Hamlet player, he was tearing into players when they weren’t pulling their weight or doing things right. Had a confrontation with Orlu over something and wouldn’t let it go, ten minutes later there were still arguing and players had to step in.

I am hoping he will have the same impact on whatever squad of players we have as Gavin Tomlin did in his first season in 16-17, lots of experience, great awareness on the pitch and oozing quality of a higher level player

It’s a good thing to cause such arguments?
Kevin James seemed to play that role effectively for many years in a winning team.

Clearly it needs to be done with discretion and a sense of perspective. You don't want someone destroying inexperienced or less confident players who need coaxing to achieve their potential.

Kevin James seemed to play that role effectively for many years in a winning team.

Clearly it needs to be done with discretion and a sense of perspective. You don't want someone destroying inexperienced or less confident players who need coaxing to achieve their potential.

James making Luke Wanadio cry at a mid-season friendly away at East Grinstead still haunts me...

Orlu was an experienced pro though...and perhaps not the most successful signing of last year...As you say it needs to be done in the right way and to realise that some people need the arm around the shoulder rather than the boot up the arse.

Orlu was an experienced pro though...and perhaps not the most successful signing of last year...As you say it needs to be done in the right way and to realise that some people need the arm around the shoulder rather than the boot up the arse.

I think it's about setting standards and being accountable. If the less experienced or less confident players see the more experienced or more confident players not putting the effort in or not being held accountable, that can start to filter through a team and become acceptable behaviour - there has to be a consequence if the expected standards aren't met (noting that standards should be judged individually not necessarily collectively), and in the right context that consequence is sometimes that unacceptability being pointed out.

And it just so happens that in football, that sometimes manifests in Kevin James making Luke Wanadio cry.

Taj season before had fantastic vocal impact. Yelled at players for being out position. Gave Clunis hell in a handful of games I saw. Had a great impact on the team, we had a tidy top half finish and great run of form towards the end.

I like players that make sure other players aren’t bigger than the club. Feet firmly on the ground!

Quade a great signing and the first name on the team sheet for me. Need to get another CB in, build a partnership and be be played consistently.

Quade a great signing and the first name on the team sheet for me. Need to get another CB in, build a partnership and be be played consistently.

I hope we play Quade midfield this season, he's miles better there and always has been. It's been said a million times before, but it was Palace that moved him to that position/full back. He becomes a completely different player when in midfield.

Ideally, I'd like a left footed centre half partnering Debrah as it just gives so much more balance, helps to move the ball much quicker and things can be done in one movement. As seen in previous years, when we've had Chambers, Pinnock and before that Gonsalves playing there! Christian Smith played there last year, but for me wasn't a defender.

I hope we play Quade midfield this season, he's miles better there and always has been. It's been said a million times before, but it was Palace that moved him to that position/full back. He becomes a completely different player when in midfield.

Ideally, I'd like a left footed centre half partnering Debrah as it just gives so much more balance, helps to move the ball much quicker and things can be done in one movement. As seen in previous years, when we've had Chambers, Pinnock and before that Gonsalves playing there! Christian Smith played there last year, but for me wasn't a defender.
Agree with all of that. I thought Christian Smith did a job but Chambers would have been better. Quade should be at half back for me.

I''m delighted Quade is staying but I'd hoped the 8 signings in 8 days would be 8 new signings, with more than a dozen departures already confirmed.

Completely agree. For me James overstepped the mark on some occasions. I remember seeing him bawl Nyren out on a semi-regular basis and thinking Clunis doesn't seem like the sort of person who needs cutting down to size. You need a drill sergeant in there, but they have to adjust how they communicate depending on who they're talking to.

Completely agree. For me James overstepped the mark on some occasions. I remember seeing him bawl Nyren out on a semi-regular basis and thinking Clunis doesn't seem like the sort of person who needs cutting down to size. You need a drill sergeant in there, but they have to adjust how they communicate depending on who they're talking to.

There's a big difference between slagging someone off and strongly encouraging them. One comes out of sheer frustration and puts people down, the other motivates and leads them to be their best self.

I thought I was alone, double pivot's and regista's, my arse.

Don’t forgot ‘Big breath’: Inside forwards, Outside forwards, Defensive wingers, Wingbacks, Defensive wingbacks (contradictory), Mezzala’s, Carrilero’s, Anchormen, Playmakers, Deep lying playmakers, Trequatrista, Inverted wingers, Target man, Target woman, Defensive forward, Attacking forward and striker...breathe

There's a big difference between slagging someone off and strongly encouraging them. One comes out of sheer frustration and puts people down, the other motivates and leads them to be their best self.

One of the things that's always surprised me about footballers is how completely fine they are with being shrieked and bawled at by their colleagues or manager as part of their normal working lives. I doubt I'd find it even remotely motivational if it was to happen to me, but I guess it's different for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom