Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

The car park? The road behind the Toilets Opposite Stand was also mentioned.
i suppose it is possible to build a small block of flats on the car park, but those flats would brush up right against the pitch, and its not a big plot really. What happened to talk of the pitch being kicked next door? Im dubious, but will wait to see what others who were there made of it.

i suppose it is possible to build a small block of flats on the car park, but those flats would brush up right against the pitch, and its not a big plot really. What happened to talk of the pitch being kicked next door? Im dubious, but will wait to see what others who were there made of it.

I can't see them paying all that money to then build a few blocks of flats on the car park and around the edge of ground, I would imagine they have some basic plans draw up somewhere which I wouldn't expect them to show to us yet!!

I still think a new ground on site of existing all weather pitch, would be best for us and they can do what they like with existing ground!!

It was what I expected tbh. A lot of stuff about how they're committed to the future of the club etc while dodging actual detail. To be fair it could be worse in that they could shut the club down tomorrow and that doesn't seem to be their intention but beyond that I didn't take much from it. I certainly dont believe they intend to do anything other than build on the pitch at some point whatever he says.

I'm extraordinarily wary of property developers but if they wanted shot of the club why on earth would they have bothered to pay off our debts? A bust club would suit redevelopment plans better than a thriving one.

I'm extraordinarily wary of property developers but if they wanted shot of the club why on earth would they have bothered to pay off our debts? A bust club would suit redevelopment plans better than a thriving one.

Exactly! As Jack said at start of meeting, they didn't have to do any of this, they could have bought the freehold and left the Club to die!

Still right to be wary though until plans are known!!

I think ultimately they want to build on the ground. Property developers don't spend nearly 6 million quid on a site for any other reason. Doing that is complicated though - at the moment they need planning permission and as I understand it there's a covenant on the ground that says it should remain in use for sport. Given that, and the inevitable NIMBY objections, a load of pissed off Hamlet fans isn't what they want. So actually if they can swing it I think they'd probably prefer the new ground on Greendales option, as a way of facilitating the build on the current site. But I've no doubt if that's not working they wouldn't think twice about getting rid of the club.

Cracking win. 3-0. Sexy football. When Erhun stuck that first goal in I think I came.

Mgn921D.png

Really disappointed with the meeting. It lasted about 20 mins when I was expecting an hour plus. None of our questions we submitted beforehand were read out or answered.

There are a few good things and many unanswered bad things to come out of today.

According to the meeting, Nick McCormack is OUT and the club (as of tomorrow) is now owned by Hadley Property Group.

Last edited:
A pathetic piece of fan appeasement seeing him in that washed out old shirt though. Also there used to be a nightclub here at the weekends, surely an amp and mike could have been made available or has McCormack taken that with him?

Precisely, that very question was asked tonight on the Hadley's man answered by saying "next question please". As far as I could tell, and from where I was stood I couldn't hear much, all we were fed was a load of obfuscation and vague promises with no certainties. With regards to the promise prior to the meeting for an agenda, we were, from the offset, told that there was no agenda. As Brixton Hatter said, there was no attempt to answer any of the questions that were handed in at the turnstyle.

We were essentially told nothing of substance and just told to trust the developers despite not being given one single reason why we should do so.

The one positive being that we will be playing at Champion Hill next season.

I am not impressed at all.

The reason being it'll take at least that long to approve planning permission to build on the ground.

I felt very uncomfortable from the outset, the response to the request to make it audible to those at the back was very aggressive and the longer it went on you could tell it was a PR exercise and nothing more.

Also the comment about Hamlet being there for the next 100 years providing it's sustainable was key, given the way the clubs finances have been abused over the last thirty years what chance is there of turning that around if you base it on the past rather than the fact the debt has been supposedly wiped off.

Also the comment about Hamlet being there for the next 100 years providing it's sustainable was key, given the way the clubs finances have been abused over the last thirty years what chance is there of turning that around if you base it on the past rather than the fact the debt has been supposedly wiped off.

I completely agree. Name me a non-league club that has been run sustainably in the last 20 years. The only positive commitments that Hadley's offered to us had caveats that will most likely not be met.

If a club isn't being run sustainably, then how on earth is it expected to survive, regardless of any looming property deals?

Football clubs tend to get by through fans coming up with something at the regular moments of crisis (either one well off fan stumping up the cash or a group effort). I think most of them aren't 'sustainable' in the regular business sense.

Precisely, that very question was asked tonight on the Hadley's man answered by saying "next question please". As far as I could tell, and from where I was stood I couldn't hear much, all we were fed was a load of obfuscation and vague promises with no certainties. With regards to the promise prior to the meeting for an agenda, we were, from the offset, told that there was no agenda. As Brixton Hatter said, there was no attempt to answer any of the questions that were handed in at the turnstyle.

We were essentially told nothing of substance and just told to trust the developers despite not being given one single reason why we should do so.

I am not impressed at all.

one of the most shoddy things about the meeting tonight was the fact that they had not manage to provide a PA or even borrowed one. We were struggling to hear them half way back and I assume most of those behind us heard the off word or so.

Football clubs tend to get by through fans coming up with something at the regular moments of crisis (either one well off fan stumping up the cash or a group effort). I think most of them aren't 'sustainable' in the regular business sense.
Might be worth trying to find out what the situation actually is.

Football as an industry fails to qualify as business because as a whole it fails to make money. The upper levels can make proper money for other sectors (the likes of BSkyB, Nike etc.) but the continued existence of the lower levels of the game is quite spectacular. Not exactly 'anticapitalist' but weirdly un-capitalist.

I haven't really got much new to say about DH's situation given the information today was, as expected, rather vague and the process is obviously still incomplete. We're a long way from the nightmare possibility of the club ceasing to exist (indeed, we were closest to that point a month ago thanks to the outgoing owners), so it's definitely not time to panic, though there's nothing wrong with some healthy scepticism and inquisitiveness. I'm sure/hopeful that Hadley Property Group would realise that given our numbers and passion (and a range of political and DIY media skills), especially after the turn-out today, screwing the club over would be a disastrous PR move.

I notice on the table there that Maidstone have played the most home games - down to the plastic pitch? Should help the Hamlet overtake them anyway. Wealdstone still look favourites to me so it was good to see them dropping a couple of points yesterday.
19 home games already played for Maidstone, so only four left including ourselves. We have seven home and seven away to play.

It's looking like a three horse race for the championship with Hornchurch, Kingstonian and Bognor also competing for play off places.

Massive month for Hamlet in March: home to Bognor on the 8th, away to Maidstone 15th, away to Hornchurch 25th, away to Wealdstone 29th.

We have to be very careful not to fall into the trap of over analysis everything
The truth is we know little more
however importantly we now know the owner

I am sure this will ensure football this season and next

They are land /building speculators - they know they have a long way to go - but they have time

As stated they will have several plans for the site

I guess plan A would be us moving to the all weather pitch and them building approx 300 flats (3/4 storey) on the site

They will use DHFC as "bargaining chip" with the Council - do what we ask or DHFC will unfortunately have to close

with regard to paying off the £100 debts, Paying off debts also proves ownership in the eyes of the Law and is also tax deductible

Remember, Anything can be promised, if you make to many commitments you can always renege on them or simply sell the land to a mate or another company - who have not made the commitments

But here I go over analysising

our priority is to keep a watching brief

But importantly keep fans coming through the turnstile by continuing to make it fun to watch DHFC and for Gavin and the Voodoo stick to work their magic

I notice on the table there that Maidstone have played the most home games - down to the plastic pitch? Should help the Hamlet overtake them anyway. Wealdstone still look favourites to me so it was good to see them dropping a couple of points yesterday.

Also interesting that Maidstone are also unbeaten at home - wonder how much can be attributed to the advantage of being used to playing on artificial turf.

Wealdstone look favourites with their games in hand but hopefully they'll drop some points when the fixtures start piling up. It would be incredible if we can be top at the end of March.

Back
Top Bottom