Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Match report and photos:

dulwich-hamlet-east-thurrock-12.jpg

dulwich-hamlet-east-thurrock-15.jpg

dulwich-hamlet-east-thurrock-22.jpg

dulwich-hamlet-east-thurrock-25.jpg

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/02/dulwich-hamlet-thump-three-past-east-thurrock/

That's a handsome creature. Dog's alright too.

So if Hadley own the club and the site, who represents the interests of the club in the discussions and negotiations that must come? Does the DHST step to the fore? Or the Football Committee? Hadley's stated desire is that the club goes into community ownership ultimately and I think this is an opportunity. There is a sustainable business model for the Hamlet. But coming up with it, and negotiating with Hadley and Southwark, is not something for amateurs. Nor is it something that can be done by Committee. It's the current void that worries me. Tedious though governance issues are, they will be crucial in the months and years to come.

We need a vanguard!

I've *heard* that Eddie is stepping down as head of DHST which will mean a replacement will need to be found. The whimsical thought of standing myself went through my head for about three seconds before my nouveaux status, wife and (above all) complete and utter disorganisation made me think better of it. It will be important that someone capable takes the position.

Regarding the committee, there's good people there with incredible dedication.

Obviously the worry is when dealing with developers and the council is that they have resources and experience in these scenarios that would blow anything we can amass out of the water.

I've *heard* that Eddie is stepping down as head of DHST which will mean a replacement will need to be found. The whimsical thought of standing myself went through my head for about three seconds before my nouveaux status, wife and (above all) complete and utter disorganisation made me think better of it. It will be important that someone capable takes the position.

Regarding the committee, there's good people there with incredible dedication.

Obviously the worry is when dealing with developers and the council is that they have resources and experience in these scenarios that would blow anything we can amass out of the water.

I think, if we can dig a bit deeper, there are plenty of skills amongst the Rabble that can be combined in an effective manner and become a force to be reckoned with.

Rabble! Please list your skills that you can bring to the party below:-

Mine: Web design/CMS, Social Media, finances, fixing shit that is broken/totally buggered, communications, piss artistry

Edited to add: I would back you if you stood

Last edited:
If the Club was to become community owed as mentioned at meeting and in general conversation amongst us supporters, what would be the point of having a Supporters Trust??

I heard mention a few weeks back of the club becoming a Community Interest Company, which isn't necessarily community or mutual ownership in the way that something like Industrial and Provident Society status is.

Is it though, I have heard Hadley are only interested in owning the Football Club on a short term basis!

There's no money in running the club as a going concern so I can see they wouldn't want to do it in the long term. There's absolutely no chance they'd turn it over before they've done whatever building they want/are permitted to though.

If the Club was to become community owed as mentioned at meeting and in general conversation amongst us supporters, what would be the point of having a Supporters Trust??

Pompey model. 12 month elections of Supporters representatives to the board, to work alongside the pro's running things.

2 things:

1: It was good to see Harry Ottaway having a pre-match run out on Saturday. He looked quite mobile and well on his way back to fitness. His goals could be a boon in the last 3rd of the season.

2a: I'm probably going to Carshalton straight from work tomorrow. Is anyone thinking of meeting in a pub beforehand or is it straight to the ground?
2b: (It's really 3 things) Have there been any further discussions on any stance that we take for the 6 banned Carshalton fans?

There's no money in running the club as a going concern so I can see they wouldn't want to do it in the long term. There's absolutely no chance they'd turn it over before they've done whatever building they want/are permitted to though.
unless they just want to sell it on once the land has inevitably increased even more, and let someone more bullish come in and knock down the park. thats pretty standard behaviour

unless they just want to sell it on once the land has inevitably increased even more, and let someone more bullish come in and knock down the park. thats pretty standard behaviour

True, that's a possibility. Point being though that even if they did eventually do that, they definitely won't be giving the actual club over to community ownership in the interim.

I don't think it's jumping to conclusions to make certain judgements now. Chiefly that this company are ultimately going to act in their own interests as property developers. Obviously given that there's a lot of different ways they can act but I think it's entirely safe to assume they intend to build, and that they're not going to do anything that's clearly against those interests, such as signing over the club to community ownership in the near future.

Well, you need the Trust to be able to take on the club as community owned! It's also very unlikely that the Trust would be able to afford to buy, let alone sustain, the club in its 100% entirety. I wonder how much the property developer would be willing to sell the club for after they have developed all the land they want?

The ideal aim would be for the Trust to secure at least 50% of the club. The Trust would have its own Board and election for members. Then in turn, a selection of these Board members would be on the club Board. The remaining members of the club board could be made up of ordinary shareholders (e.g. those with 10 or 15% stakes) and a couple of professional Directors (part-time / non-exec more likely for a semi-pro club).

The Trust would very much stay alive after the Club has been "bought", as this is the glue that keeps the fans together as majority owners. It's also important to have it written into an agreement that the Trust should always remain as majority shareholder, and Trust shares are not tradable (to prevent any takeover by stealth). Without ordinary fans buying shares in the Trust, rather than the Club, then the club would be lead by the largest minority shareholder, or some other weak coalition. Strength is in unity comrades!

Dunc

I've just noticed that Southern trains have kindly laid on a Gavin Rose DHFC "football special" to Carshalton tomorrow. Very kind of them.

It departs London Bridge at 17.20, calling at Queens Road, Peckham Rye, East Dulwich (d. 17.33) etc.....and on to Carshalton.... Teaching commuters the lines to DHFC songs compulsory....

I'm gonna have to cry off Lewes this weekend, due to some unexpected stuff cropping.

Carshalton tomorrow though, in :cool:

Whilst I agree with the comments about the defensive response following complaints of people not being able to hear, to be fair to jack the tone of the request was in itself quite aggressive. I guess that's what happens when tensions run high.

I think the most dangerous thing we can do right now as a fan base, is not to reach certain conclusions. If this all pans out like the gentleman from Hadley suggested, then we have few worries and can eat humble pie. If we fail to make contingency plans now though and (as I think is very likely) it turns out a property developer haven't just saved a non league club out of the kindness of their hearts, we're fucked.

Initially my thoughts were that buying the club would allow a new owner to move us to play in penge whenever they fancied, then move the bull dozers in. I have since been informed that to do so is thankfully much more complicated than I had realised.

Let's work with these people, but let's also get ready for an attempted screwing and have a clear course of action. It's great to have open discussion on here, but it may also be worth considering meeting separately with the supporters trust to co-ordinate privately any plans as the situation develops. If I were captain Hadley I would be keeping an eye out for the discussions of fans on the internet. Our growing fan base must have a multitude of skills and experience. I know there has been criticism of the supporters trust on here of late (I know little about them other than now being a member and that the people who run it are very friendly) but surely they are best placed to co-ordinate these skills and gain advice where needed?

If captain Hadley is reading this then sorry I have already forgotten your name and thank you for giving up your time to meet us. I think the point that Danny was trying to make at the meeting in a round about way, before being slightly heckled, was a valuable one. This club is really important to a growing number of people.

Let's work with these people, but let's also get ready for an attempted screwing and have a clear course of action. It's great to have open discussion on here, but it may also be worth considering meeting separately with the supporters trust to co-ordinate privately any plans as the situation develops. If I were captain Hadley I would be keeping an eye out for the discussions of fans on the internet. Our growing fan base must have a multitude of skills and experience. I know there has been criticism of the supporters trust on here of late (I know little about them other than now being a member and that the people who run it are very friendly) but surely they are best placed to co-ordinate these skills and gain advice where needed?
FYI: there is the possibility of establishing a private forum here for bona-fide fans.

The only reason Millwall got the "New Den" was because of the amount of death threats (credible) sent to those who had influence. Reg Burr you are not forgiven! Hamlet fans, steel thy selves!

Also interesting that Maidstone are also unbeaten at home - wonder how much can be attributed to the advantage of being used to playing on artificial turf.

Wealdstone look favourites with their games in hand but hopefully they'll drop some points when the fixtures start piling up. It would be incredible if we can be top at the end of March.

I would suggest their 3G pitch is of little advantage. They may be unbeaten at home but they've had nine draws from 19 matches. Hamlet have one more point from three fewer home games. In fact since the beginning of last season Maidstone have picked up more or less the same number of points per match home and away, whereas Hamlet have been far more dominant at home, even though only one point separated us last season and none this season.

These figures relate to all league matches since the start of last season:

HOME
Dulwich P.37 W29 D.5 L.3 PTS. 92
Maidstone: P.40 W.22 D.15 L.3 PTS. 81

AWAY
Dulwich P.37 W.20 D.3 L.14 PTS. 63
Maidstone P.35 W.23 D.4 L.8 PTS.73

TOTAL
Dulwich P.74 W.49 D.8 L.17 PTS.155
Maidstone P.75 W.45 D.19 L.11 PTS.154

Basically Maidstone are harder to beat, but we're better at finishing teams off instead of letting them escape with a jammy point.

Really looking forward to going to The Hope tomorrow, it's supposed to be one of the best boozers in the country :cool:

My chances of missing kick-off due to still being in the pub: 87%

Getting the 17.48 from elephant and castle will be at the hope around 18.30 see you there!

2 things:

1: It was good to see Harry Ottaway having a pre-match run out on Saturday. He looked quite mobile and well on his way back to fitness. His goals could be a boon in the last 3rd of the season.

2a: I'm probably going to Carshalton straight from work tomorrow. Is anyone thinking of meeting in a pub beforehand or is it straight to the ground?
2b: (It's really 3 things) Have there been any further discussions on any stance that we take for the 6 banned Carshalton fans?

10 things in relation to point 2 b.

1. We have made a banner....

it was one thing really :D

Back
Top Bottom