Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Plenty don't muddle through though - look at how many teams have gone bust in recent years: Halifax, Chester, Rushden & Diamonds, Kettering etc, plus loads at our level (eg Enfield.) Which leaves players, staff and suppliers (many of whom are local/small businesses) out of pocket, not to mention fans bereft of a club, many of whom have put great efforts in to the club, almost always unpaid.

I'm not saying fan ownership/representation is a panacea, but it at least gives fans a say in the running of the club and - importantly - some transparency with regards to financial affairs. At Luton several years ago, we sold over £12m worth of players over barely two seasons, then went into admin with no money and loads of debt. Essentially the money was stolen by the former directors. If we're putting our hard-earned in through the turnstiles, bar etc, plus paying for players via the 12th man, we at least deserve a say in how the club is run and a look at the books imo.

True enough, there's been a lengthy list of rapacious scumbags in charge of plenty of clubs and a fan ownership system should avoid that, and I agree about the transparency as well. I'm not really arguing against it - I really would like to see it happen - just that it often is viewed as a perfect solution when the reality is that it's always a financial struggle for smaller clubs (when they've just sold £12million of players should be an exception tbf).

To be fair I'm probably a bit soured on the idea by years of listening to arguments on this around Lincoln City, where the whole concept seems to bring out the inner wanker in a lot of fans.

ETA: Also on a personal note, I've been going regularly for just over a year. I'd be happy to support any fan ownership move but I don't feel any claim of ownership personally if you know what I mean.

Onket Pin badges available from the club shop for £2.50 :)

http://dhst.org.uk/shop/

Metallic-Badge.jpg

If anyone would like to exchange one of these for a pint of beer at any point, please let me know.

Alternatively, I may be able to attend a night game at some point over the next few months. Maybe.

Last edited:
Good question. I was hoping for a January night game but it might have to be February.

I did try and post earlier but I see my text went inside Brixton Hatter's quote.

Will amend it.....
ah yes...cool

well next home game on a Tuesday is 11th Feb vs Thamesmead OR we have the met in the London Senior Cup on 18th Feb....do it

Anyone know how bad our financial situation is?

Crowds are up (nearly double over the past three years), and the bar and shop appear to be making decent amounts of money. Presumably much of that is going on wages though. And I guess the Danny Carr cash went on that 20 grand leccy bill (how does anyone let it get that bad?)

Fan ownership NOW!
Increasingly, older fans seem to be of the opinion that our ownership (for which Nick McCormack is possibly just a front) is siphoning off money in some way, or at best wasting it. Add in the stadium lease ownership and it's a big mess.

IME fans are always convinced the board are siphoning off money - it goes along with the 'there were definitely far more fans than that' rumour.:D

Of course sometimes it's actually true.:hmm:

I think it's justified to question things here. Doubling attendance, more expensive tickets, Gavin Rose's model which gets young players very cheap, 12th Man Scheme paying for additional players to cover injury... and yet DHFC doesn't pay for electricity for ages and clubs with smaller attendances have bigger playing budgets.

Of course, the meeting could be about the stadium.

EDIT: Of course, the meeting could be about banning me for my disgraceful antics at Kingstonian. The innocents' blood just won't wash out of my scarf.

Last edited:
Hey you lot - my friends at Mangotsfield United have been banned by the FA from displaying political banners at matches. They've had an antifa banner on display for the last wee while and it appears to have upset some people.

1) Watch out for this sort of thing
2) If you can show them some love and some solidarity then that'd be lovely - search for the Mangotsfield Inter Village Firm if you want to know more or get in touch

Ta
:)

http://supportersnotcustomers.com/author/supportersnotcustomers/

That pretty much sums it up, yeah. Has to be said that apparently MUFC fought the IVF's corner as far as they could but in the end had to give in because they can't afford sanctions being imposed on them by the Gloucestershire FA or FA. These guys go everywhere with the Field and the club are very happy for them to do what they do.

I'm now happy to lodge a complaint against ANY club which allows EDL banners to be displayed at matches. I was anyway obv but I'll actively look for a chance to do so now... it's an absolute shocker of a ruling and deserves as much publicity as we can get it. The IVF bring a bit of fun and wit to the game (I know, I've watched with them) and the bellends who take exception to their banners don't. More fun and anti-fascism/racism please

Can't condone cowbells though :hmm:

Crowds are up (nearly double over the past three years), and the bar and shop appear to be making decent amounts of money. Presumably much of that is going on wages though. And I guess the Danny Carr cash went on that 20 grand leccy bill (how does anyone let it get that bad?)

Fan ownership NOW!
And there's a health club in the stand, although people have said it's a bit grotty. We get plenty of people through the gate though, it should be able to pay for itself?.

And there's a health club in the stand, although people have said it's a bit grotty. We get plenty of people through the gate though, it should be able to pay for itself?.

I went for a massage there once from a Groupon offer. I'm not a fussy sort but it was the very definition of a bit grotty in there :(

Its interesting that the FA should pick on Mangotsfield United FC supporters for "political banners" ie anti fascist banners.

They have been happy to tolerate Conservative party (party political) advertising hoardings around the whole ground at Dartford (since 2007) - not a word said

Not a word said about open Fascist managers, the same FA who told the England team to give a Nazi salute when playing Germany in the 30's

Of course it would be wrong to have party political adverts or banners whether Conservative, Labour, UKIP or Communist

But banners that reinforce a commitment to anti fascism, a faith that so many died for in WW2. that the FA believe should not be tolerated.

One of the best things about this cold , wet, insular little island is with our allies the Soviets, Yanks, former British colonies and the brave resistance movements in occupied Europe we stood up for democracy and against the barbarism of fascism

Last edited:
Brixton Hatter said:

Fan ownership NOW!

"Fan ownership" essentially would mean "the fans" would have to own and run Hamlets Health Club. Personally I wouldn't have a clue how to do that and wouldn't want the responsiblility. I suppose "the fans" would have to do this in the form of DHST, although again, I'm not sure whether the business acumen or will is there to run such an operation amongst DHST's membership. As for the actual Football Club it's probably not that difficult to get onto the committee and have a say in running that if you're so minded. In fact I'm sure in the not too distant past there have been open appeals in the club programme for people to come forward if they feel they have something to offer.

Increasingly, older fans seem to be of the opinion that our ownership (for which Nick McCormack is possibly just a front) is siphoning off money in some way, or at best wasting it. Add in the stadium lease ownership and it's a big mess
I think it's justified to question things here. Doubling attendance, more expensive tickets, Gavin Rose's model which gets young players very cheap, 12th Man Scheme paying for additional players to cover injury... and yet DHFC doesn't pay for electricity for ages and clubs with smaller attendances have bigger playing budgets.

Of course, the meeting could be about the stadium.

I understand the playing budget has increased substantially since last season, in which case the additional matchday revenue isn't just being "siphoned off". I'm fairly confident no "football money" is going into anyone else's pockets. In fact to the best of my knowledge the playing budget is subsidised by Hamlets Health Club. I've heard it suggested that Nick McCormack has been overambitious in committing to an unrealistically high level of subsidy for the playing budget. As for how clubs like Hornchurch can blow us out of the water by offering a player far more money when their crowds are half the size of ours and they have a crappy athletics ground, well I really don't know. But they've gone bust once already and had to restart at the bottom.

When the current ground was opened in 1992 the idea was that all the associated facilities now managed by "Hamlets Health Club" would essentially fund the football budget. My view is that these facilities have never been managed to their full potential, profits haven't been reinvested in improving and maintaining facilities, and the whole operation has just bumbled along more or less since it got up and running under previous owner Steve Dye Sr. I believe Nick McCormack is well intentioned towards the football club, I just get the impression he's not a very good businessman.

Who knows whether that electricity bill was some sort of oversight or whether other bills remain unpaid? The fact that it seems to have come right out of the blue for the football club chairman is poor, but frankly I feel the club committee should have demanded an urgent meeting with Nick McCormack to discuss the situation rather than a loose cannon apparently taking it upon themselves to leak the story to the local press as soon as it came to light. There may be a valid argument for saying Nick McCormack should be named and shamed in this way when his actions could have a negative impact on the club, but whilst club insiders may realise the football committee has no part in this incompetence, the more casual supporter and sponsors or potential sponsors will probably not differentiate between DHFC and Hamlets Health Club, while other creditors may get twitchy and start calling in any debts. It could be very damaging for DHFC's reputation and future.

First home game since Boxing Day and looking forward to it. Just hope the rain isn't a problem, as there seemed to be a lot of it last night with further showers forecast over the next 24 hours.

Hampton seem to be the "form team" rising up the table in recent weeks, including a win at Wealdstone, but we don't need to fear anyone the way we play. Just take our chances and cut out the blunders at the back and we should be capable of beating anyone in this division.

Back
Top Bottom