Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Anyone else going tomorrow?
Quite concerned about this game. Current DHFC form has been magic-lite. Barely mechanical, even. Maidstone are lacking a few of their stronger players, but still...worried, worried, worried...Also, their away-side supporters travel at Wealdstone strength, though Kentish-men they be. All irrationally upbeat predictions welcome.

I imagine we all are. It's going to be difficult, Maidstone are really looking like an ex-league club on the up now, we're doing well to be within a point of them. We've still got special players, it's do-able. And if we fuck up, ach well, let's fuck up in style (which is hard not to when you're in PINK AND MOTHERFUCKING BLUE!!!!!!!!).

Looks like it's going to chuck it down this evening, which could affect turnout and drown us out. If keeping the atmosphere up is important, perhaps making a Wealdstoneesque claim for the cover on the far side might be an idea.

Everyone not being hungover might help as well.

Based on last season Maidstone will turn up in hundreds, very early, and take the Toilets Opposite. We'd need to get in there well before kick-off.

I'm over the moon lads and ladettes, what a crucial win :) Maidstone were very good but we defended excellently and they certainly wish their keeper was Phil Wilson.

Great effort on the non-stop singing tonight.

All I hear is: Erhun & Daly!

The guard of honour for the losing away fans is becoming a bit of a tradition. I like it. It must be pretty galling to be duffed up by your rivals, a long way away from your 'garden of England' home, then be clapped home by the victorious rabble telling you the Hamlet are gonna win the league. But a lot of them seemed to like it. :)

What a game. Incredible to get such a strong performance for such a big game, it's probably the best I've seen us play. Great to see us look strong at the back as well, given the nature of a lot of recent goals we've conceded - deserved MoM for Adeniyi.

I'm itching for Kingstonian away next month. Can we play like that every week?

Still feels bloody good. Looking forward to the MUTV* highlights!
(* = I love that Maidstone completely ignore the fact there might be another, y'know, vaguely noteworthy club with the same initials)

Damn, wish I could go to Lowestoft on Saturday (in-between nights, and the supporters' coach would likely be the worst place in Europe to try to get some sleep).
Vornstyle is a legend!
We all combined into one big legendary warrior last night.

It would seem churlish to attempt to quasi-intellectualise last night, but... that was football that was. The better-than-drugs euphoria. We all have our various embellishments, from politics to macho grandstanding to visual displays to *spit!* tactical analysis, to fill the (sometimes very long) gaps between games like last night, and they're necessary cos you can't win big stinking fuck-off matches like that every week. But the joy/pride/relief/mania of yesterday is why that silly little imperialist public school invention of Association Football hasn't shriveled up and died decades ago. It's not a rational pastime.

Last edited:
Interview with Connor French, already something of a non-league journeyman at the tender age of 21, now at Walton Casuals:

TRC: What was it like to win the league and promotion with Dulwich Hamlet from the Ryman Division One South last season?

CF: It was a great feeling, my first piece of silverware in non-league football. What made it even better was the fans that Dulwich have – arguably the best fans in Ryman league and maybe even the league above, but winning any league whatever level would be a buzz.

Maidstone United Fan website seem to be over analysing the game, very harsh on their team. It was a long way on a wet Tuesday - so great credit to the 250 Maidstone fans who made the trek

some good comments of note, especially about Dulwich Hamlet Fans - see below

"Thought Dulwich kept possession better and passed it better, whilst too often in the first half when we were clearing the ball, we simply booted back to them. That said, I think we had the better chances to score and their keeper made some good saves especially the one from Rory for the corner that never came. Thought the Dulwich fans created a great atmosphere at the game."

"Dulwich started passing us to death and wearing us down and hitting us on the break."

"Dulwich are a very decent side. And they have the best burgers in the league!"

"To go back to the games, what a vocal support Dulwich fans gave their team, they were truly their 12th man and did see us off the ground in good humour with their chants of "We won the league at Champion Hill " ... B*stards ... did they have to remind us !!!"

Read more: http://maidstoneunitedfc.proboards.com/thread/2594/dulwich-2-maidstone-united?page=2#ixzz2nra9KQKB

Another note
Average Gate attendances

1. Maidstone United average gate 1,780
2. Dulwich Hamlet average gate 617

Average Ryman League 378

Last edited:
Some photos from the game:

hamlet-maidstone-dec-2013-25.jpg

hamlet-maidstone-dec-2013-22.jpg

hamlet-maidstone-dec-2013-12.jpg

hamlet-maidstone-dec-2013-15.jpg

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2013/12/...in-commanding-display-sat-14th-december-2013/

I always say this but wicked photos as usual, editor. You do manage to capture the atmosphere somehow, that dancing transgression between tiny non-league club and immense intensity of the chosen few. Good game, good game.

What's that I hear you say? More cowbell?

Those are italain bells from Tuscany, surely

as used on the ski sunday, and Tour de France - (magic)

Its Italian it goes in the mix at DHFC

I was pleased to see Margate praise the food - we should work on this we should offer the best non organic, non pc burgers in the League - surely a point of principal

Also would be great to say you can get a

Dulwich Hamlet Square Deal For the Working Man & Woman

Match day entrance
A Programme
A Burger
A Pint

and all for £15

Jumping ahead a few games, but our NYD opponents Carshalton sound like they're in an absolute mess. Six fans banned for criticizing the way the club's being run, comedy owner and management, heading for relegation. The banning of the fans is particularly outrageous. Free The Carshalton Six.

Bugger, lost 2-0 to Lowestoft :(

Respect to the fans who braved the weather and travelled over 3 hours to Suffolk.

Still, it could be worse - Maidstone lost 2-1 to Wealdstone, and Whitstable (in the Isthmian Div 1 South) were 2-0 up when their floodlights failed and the game was abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom