Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

More a case of "oh bollocks, don't stand off him... shit he's scored :mad:".
Don't forget, I've seen the great Enfield sides of the 80s. Including the God-like genius that was Noel Ashford. Now there was a man who'd shit you up. Master of the outrageous lob :cool:
I remember him well. Probably the most consistently excellent opposition player I've seen while following the Hamlet, mostly for Enfield but also for a few other sides too. Always used to wish he played for us. He was a once in a generation player, much like Erhun. We must savour him while we can.

That was a truly great Enfield side he played in. I'd just started following the E's (season 1980-81) and didn't fully realise how fortunate I was to be watching such a talented side. Tony Jennings and Steve King are two other great names from back then you may remember. Sadly, Jenno's no longer with us but Kingy is a regular at the Town nowadays.

Treasure your little wonder! It broke my heart when Noel Ash went to B****t, it really did.

The man himself:
3676586976_d60e657e58_z.jpg

From Tom's archive of Enfield photos.

van Two-Poplars-on-a-Road-Through-the-Hills.jpg

Van Gogh's "Two poplars" brings us back to poplars at Dulwich hamlet - that led to Mr Beasley referring to Dulwich Hamlet as "Tuscany"

Van Gogh also lived in Stockwell - Isabel Street in Stockwell, renamed Van Gogh Walk

so definitely Van Gogh would have been a Dulwich Hamlet fan albeit he lived in Stockwell pre the formation of the Club

But sure Van Gogh would have loved the Pink & Blue vibe of"The Rabble" and it's "situationist" parody

Wealdstone bringing a coach load of fans Saturday
we need to get "The rabble" off to a good start early on - not our usual slow start

Rob you bringing the placards

we needs the flags

megaphone ???

After Tuesday night - we need to bounce right back

Wealdstone bringing a coach load of fans Saturday
Literally a coach? What's wrong with a tube and bus from the Elephant?
megaphone ???
Was wondering whether megaphones are breaking some unwritten code and therefore cheating, so had a quick google: "...on a platform facing the thronging terrace, urged and led the fans' singing with a megaphone..." and "...initiating chants with his megaphone throughout the match also ended with the provocative message ‘fuck you England’..."

Last edited:
looks like a decent crowd there - nice photo :)
That's the classic old Southbury Road ground, home of the former Enfield FC. It was a few hundred yards to the south of the current Enfield Town ground on the main road running east from Enfield Town station. It was scandalously sold off for development by the then club owner and is now a cinema/leisure complex or something, i.e. that big modern development visible to the right as you walk through the park towards the QE2 Stadium. As well as that big main stand there was substantial terracing on the other three sides with the central areas covered and the corners open. I think their final Isthmian League match on the ground was against the Hamlet early in the 1999/2000 season. By the following year they were groundsharing at the hellhole that is Borehamwood.

Literally a coach? What's wrong with a tube and bus from the Elephant?..."
They'll bring a lot more than a coachload's worth of supporters, i.e. a lot more than anyone else who's visited us this season, though not as many as Maidstone last season. I glanced on their forum and the coach fare was twenty quid! You can get an all-zones Travelcard for £8.90. (Or £5.90 at weekends if you have a Network Card.)

Was wondering whether megaphones are breaking some unwritten code and therefore cheating, so had a quick google: "...on a platform facing the thronging terrace, urged and led the fans' singing with a megaphone..." and "...initiating chants with his megaphone throughout the match also ended with the provocative message ‘fuck you England’..."
Wasn't that megaphone incident from the Montenegro v England game last March? Personally I'd say it is cheating a bit. Mishi brought one along to a midweek match at our old ground in the late 80's and the opposition keeper complained to the ref about it! There were probably barely more than 100 spectators in the ground, which was far bigger than the present ground.

That's the classic old Southbury Road ground, home of the former Enfield FC. It was a few hundred yards to the south of the current Enfield Town ground on the main road running east from Enfield Town station. It was scandalously sold off for development by the then club owner and is now a cinema/leisure complex or something, i.e. that big modern development visible to the right as you walk through the park towards the QE2 Stadium. As well as that big main stand there was substantial terracing on the other three sides with the central areas covered and the corners open. I think their final Isthmian League match on the ground was against the Hamlet early in the 1999/2000 season. By the following year they were groundsharing at the hellhole that is Borehamwood.

Do not talk about The Event please! It still hurts. I actually helped build some terracing there; had an epileptic fit behind the goal once; laughed my arse off at robust terrace wit; went apeshit crazy on many, many occasions. Seeing us whack 4 past a useless Dave Beasant one year was particularly sweet. The halftime snowball fight with Wealdstone fans. TV cameras and John Motson at the ground. Again :D Many, many memories. Such a big part of my life.

Phil (beardy man in one of editor's halftime photos) brewed his Southbury Road Black Armband Bitter when we lost the old place. It was, suitably, a dark, introspective winter ale. On the formation of Enfield Town, he brewed Revival - a light, hoppy, summer beer. New beginnings. I'm getting very emotional here...

That pic of Noel Ash was taken in 1986, v Northwich. I'll give you another great one and then bugger off out of what is, after all, a Dulwich thread.

Steve King attacks a packed Town End. 1986, FA Trophy semi-final first leg v Altrincham:
3667339069_bb1199b96b_z.jpg

Good luck on Saturday!

Literally a coach? What's wrong with a tube and bus from the Elephant?

Megaphones are a bit 'European'. Traditionally never been part of football in the UK.

I spose it depends what 'look' you're going for.

Not a fan, personally.

Must be careful

some very provocative tweets coming out of Wealdstone Raider which are homophobic and anti Semitic

This account based on well known Wealdstone Youtube star

so MAY ...... Maybe a parody accountant

but racism, sexism, homophobia is not acceptable

we should get Wealdstone FC press officer to comment

Last edited:
BaK_HV8IYAAf0mM.jpg:large

(Assuming EDF Energy don't switch us off over the unpaid bill...)

EDIT: bill apparently paid now. From where the money came would be a fascinating question.
Erm."...in no way connected with the club..." Looking through their tweets it must be a fan of the club, unless it's someone who's got so much time on their hands they follow minute details of a club they don't support so they can tweet about it.

Last edited:
As stated above - looks like a sad Weadlestone fan - with hang ups, and tweets he thinks are funny and provocative - Not funny and very offensive

worse still you know Wealdstone fans on twitter know who it is - I suspect (as we would) our clubs are to small not to know

Wealdstone - Really need to get their house in order - doing the club and its fans a lot of damage

hahaha great stuff.

so when are we next at home on a weeknight? I can't make it on Saturday but I need some hamlet in my life.

Reactions: eme
As stated above - looks like a sad Weadlestone fan - with hang ups, and tweets he thinks are funny and provocative - Not funny and very offensive

worse still you know Wealdstone fans on twitter know who it is - I suspect (as we would) our clubs are to small not to know

Wealdstone - Really need to get their house in order - doing the club and its fans a lot of damage
Well yes, maybe he thinks he's some sort of satirical genius when in fact he's a brainless twat, but please don't boost his ego by further publicising his comments. There's all sorts of crap on Twitter, which is why I no longer use it, and I've no wish to see this on here.

He can only damage his own club, and whether other people at the club can do anything to stop him I don't know. Hopefully we'll get another cracking game at the Hill tomorrow and I don't intend to let one moron spoil the day. If he attempts to engage any of our supporters with his brand of humour I'm sure he'll discover just how funny he is.

Back
Top Bottom