Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Comment from the moribund Leatherhead unofficial bulletin board:
Actually everyone at Dulwich was very friendly. There didn't seem to be any animosity at all. The loud mouthed yellow belly who speaks so loudly on his little twitter account was nowhere to be seen. And Stretch simply wanted to buy him a drink in the bar. "He's normally in the bar" said someone who recognised his decaying teeth from the picture......
http://thelip.yuku.com/topic/2776/Anybody-left#.UnbpCmJdXh4

The loud mouthed yellow belly who speaks so loudly on his little twitter account was nowhere to be seen.
Er, he was stood on the railings with me, singing and dancing. And was in the bar after the game.

Anyway. The two songs from recent games, in case you were wondering what Burty was on about...

OOHHHH!!!! Ian Daly's gravy,
He wore the G-Man's hat,
And when he saw the Conference South,
He said, 'I'm having that!'

Oh Camipone!
The one and only,
from Champion Hill!
They said our days were numbered and we're heading for a fall,
But we're winning titles and knocking down your walls!

What did Leatherhead do that was so terrible in the aftermath of the wall incident?

After a recent podcast on the need for football to embrace morbidity, I'm thinking of planning a 'Day of the Nundead' march from the Seventh Day Adventist church on Ivydale Road (it used to serve as a secondary entrance to Nunhead FC's ground). Beers, firecrackers, sky blue cardboard coffin, voodoo stick, tenuously changed chants. Do it before a Dulwich Hamlet home game and we can end up at Nunhead's final resting place (they groundshared briefly). Any of you fancy it?

Brilliant idea! A banner of 'RIP Nunhead FC' or 'Viva Nunhead' also

Dulwich Hamlet FC away kit

is old Nunhead strip

sky blue shirts, white shorts, white socks
Not anymore! We've now got a yellow & green combo, making us the world's leading Hungry Hippos inspired football club.
hippos.jpg

What did Leatherhead do that was so terrible in the aftermath of the wall incident?
Begged the referee to abandon the game (players and the very board members who boycotted Saturday's match), celebrated it like a win, mocked Danny Carr's expunged goals, denied any responsibility (it was their wall, after all) and took to the internet to rub it in. Even then, in spite the subsequent loss in the re-staged match (which threatened our title win), it was pretty good humoured. Noisy rather than nasty, in spite of the security guards and police outside (we wore fancy dress, ffs!). I think what sealed the bad blood was that they took it very badly when DH fans mocked them in return after they nevertheless screwed up their play-off place on the final day.

Last edited:
Just seen this absolutely brilliant piece on Sunday league - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/fo...ct/31/talking-language-sunday-league-football

Made me think how unintenionally funny some of the quotes/chants/expressions are from players and fans alike and if someone went through the effort of compiling the best of these it'd make a hilarious read. Not sayin I've got the required effort needed, but merely a suggestion...
:D

It is considered a cardinal sin to let an opposing Sunday League team pass a goal-kick out to a full-back. Precisely what sort of devastating attack an average Sunday League team are expected to be capable of, deep in their own half, with the ball at the feet of traditionally the least capable player in their ranks, is anyone's guess.

Amateur-level goal-kicks, thumped aimlessly as far down the pitch as possible, often aren't a job for the goalkeeper. As the designated goal-kick taker for their sides, many Sunday league centre-halves can confirm that fetching a distant match ball in preparation for this moment is one of the more soul-destroying aspects of life at around 11am on every Sunday between September and May.

I understand excellent article re Dulwich hamlet attendances in Saturdays program, could somebody post it up here if possible (even as a jpeg)
Here it is:
qtthja6.jpg

Also to note that we've had several attendances of 1000+ in the past couple of years, including Maidstone last season - around 1100 on a Tuesday night - and the Millwall and Palace friendlies (over 1500 for the Palace game) plus the play offs iirc the year before.

When I first came to Champion Hill in about 2002 on a cold Tuesday night, there were less than 100 fans. Then about three years ago I remember around 300 on a Saturday. In the past few years it's steadily climbed to 400/500 and now well over 500 for a normal Saturday league game. Best attendances since the 1960s! :cool:

A great effort by all concerned - not least Gavin Rose and the players for the exciting football - but everyone else at the club, including all the fans who've made the effort, and everyone who's brought mates along and got them hooked… :)

Last edited:
I should add, that there is zero chance I will get to the game, as it is the missus's birfdee.

1. Gareth ‏@JonnyForeigner 13h
    @Tidy_Darts @rancho__relaxo Lewes FC and I hate to type this but Dulwich Hamlet *spits on the floor* have great banners/posters

PRAISE INDEED FROM CLAPTON ULTRAS !!!!! see here as well http://louderthanwar.com/we-introduce-you-to-londons-answer-to-st-pauli-clapton-ultras/

and

http://claptonultras.tumblr.com/

Meanwhile at Champion Hill

Good luck to those going to Bognor on Saturday
spoke to a guy in superamarket today with pink & blue scarf - he informed me he had already booked train tickets for Bognor - Really Great to see the Rabble on Curva Transpontine (or Transpontico as someone labelled it) sending a crew to Bognor

PARTISAN NEWS

Stjepan Filipović (27 January 1916 – 22 May 1942) was a heroic Yugoslavian Partisan who was executed during WW2

Filipović was commander of the Partisans' Tamnavsko-Kolubarski unit fighting the Nazi invaders . He was captured on 24 February 1942 by Nazi's and subsequently hanged in Valjevo on 22 May 1942.

As the rope was put around his neck, Filipović defiantly thrust his hands out and shouted "Smrt fašizmu, sloboda narodu!" (SFSN) which translates as "Death to fascism, freedom to the people!".

SFSN
Stjepan_Stevo_Filipovic partisan.jpg

Last edited:
x

EDIT: I'm not sure what happened there. Anyway. Apparently Clapton don't like us cos Mishi, who had been saying how much he liked them, upset them on their facebook page or some such silliness. All good news for the Terry Eagleton critique of football.

Last edited:
I think it would be good to share ideas amongst progressive, anti fascist non league clubs fans

I particularly liked their idea of ultra scarves at Clapton (The Rabble one side)

They also seem to be able to use flares more liberally than us (safety issues aside)

Holding up posters also looked good (they also do this at Bromley FC during UNISON's pension disputes and Save Lewisham Hospital campaign)

Freeze Rents - Not Wages
housing wages unison rent.jpg

Last edited:
They only let off the smokebombs before and after games and are likely to get in trouble if they were promoted, and we're on some sort of final warning after Tooting squealed to the authorities. As for scarves, I wonder why every club in Britain seems to have this crisis of identity where they feel they have to copy the aesthetics of the decades old ultra culture. It's like middle-class people opening up 'French' bistros in 1980s Islington. It's the condition of postnodernity. I want to do something new.

They only let off the smokebombs before and after games and are likely to get in trouble if they were promoted, and we're on some sort of final warning after Tooting squealed to the authorities. As for scarves, I wonder why every club in Britain seems to have this crisis of identity where they feel they have to copy the aesthetics of the decades old ultra culture. It's like middle-class people opening up 'French' bistros in 1980s Islington. It's the condition of postnodernity. I want to do something new.

I get your point, but there's really nothing wrong with scarves. Especially in the winter.

I'd like a return to 70s scarf wearing: one around the wrist and one looped through the jeans.

Yes 1970s football (without racism & sexism)

defo bar scarves (they look great)

and extra points for wearing from wrist or belt

also wanted bobble hats, tartan pleat in jeans and DM's

and we do need more anger (I remember when students and even workers were angry)

This is our theatre - We need to articulate anger on corporate football, rents, pay, cuts, bedroom tax and so so much more......

YES

We should be angry !!!

FFS, I just want to go and watch a game of football and have a cup of tea. What has that got to do with the NHS or the bedroom tax?

Back
Top Bottom