Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Ah man... It was still a fantastic day out, and when the players and fans clapped each other off (oooer) you could tell that both sides really meant it.

It wasn't to be - we battered them second half, the ref was dire (yet again) , we just couldn't close it out.

But fuck it. It's still been a magnificent season and my heart swells thinking about it. I think I made 10 home games this season, which pales in comparison to a lot of you, but I enjoyed em all, win or lose.

Much love and utmost respect to the mighty, mighty DULWICH HAMLET!!!

Which two clubs relegated from the Conference South/North are likely to end up in the Isthmian Premier next season?

Last edited:
Well what to say.

Elated really. What a superb performance against a very good side. This was Hamlet back to form,after four months off the boil. They should have won.

But I really don't give a shit, because winning, always winning, isn't the point of the Hamlet. We really have won the moral victory. Here's a club, down on its arse not so long ago; now resurgent, known throughout the land as a true original. And though it remains precariously founded, you sense that what underpins - the fans, the ethos, the team spirit - will preserve this grand old club, that most of us are new (ish) to, for generations to come.

We love this club, real passionate love.

A bit disappointing not to make it but a great day and a great performance overall this season. At the start of this season I felt like the Hamlet had become an important thing to me over the last season but this season that's really stepped up to another level. I really love it now and I've made new friends in a way I haven't for a few years. I'll be getting my season ticket next week and I look forward to seeing you all soon.:)

dulwich-hamlet-2007.jpg

Just in case you forgot, this is what the Rabble looked like in 2007 (and well done to those loyal fans)

However, in the last few years.......

We have all done something incredible at Dulwich Hamlet FC
that is the manager, players, fans (old and new) and officials

We have all helped build a "community"

A community reaching out to schools, to emergency workers, to low paid workers, punks, anarchists, lefties, art students, musicians, song smiths, anti racists, anti fascists, gays, families and those that are just fed up with Modern football or corporate football robbery (and many more)

DHFC on and off the pitch has brought the joy of grassroots football back to so many

Its also a "safe environment" where racism and sexism will be challenged

And the result can be seen today

The Rabble on the Curva del Transpontine (part of a fantastic crowd of 1,400)

Who would have thought or dreamed it was possible

to quote a famous Chinese leader

"Rest, because we have a long march ahead of us"

Roll on 2014-2015 season

dulwich v kingstonians long rabble april 26 2014Untitled.jpgdulwich v kingstonianBmKpAsZIYAI6pEe.jpg large.jpg

Last edited:
Because of the wide flat bit in front of the terrace, photos never do the numbers justice, it was rammed and heaving today.

If only we had covered ends. :(

View attachment 52848

Just in case you forgot, this is what the Rabble looked like in 2007

In the last few years.......

We have all done something incredible at Dulwich Hamlet FC
that is the manager, players, fans (old and new) and officials

We have all helped build a "community"

A community reaching out to schools, to emergency workers, to low paid workers, punks, anarchists, lefties, art students, musicians, song smiths, anti racists, anti fascists, gays, families and those that are just fed up with Modern football or corporate football robbery (and many more)

DHFC on and off the pitch has brought the joy of grassroots football back to so many

Its also a "safe environment" where racism and sexism will be challenged

And the result can be seen today

The Rabble on the Curva del Transpontine (part of a fantastic crowd of 1,400)

Who would have thought or dreamed it was possible

to quote a famous Chinese leader

"Rest, because we have a long march ahead of us"

Roll on 2014-2015 season

View attachment 52849

Yes, it's amazing really. Possibly unique.

I recently came across this comment on a football blog from 2011. I'll leave it to you lot to work out who wrote it:

I wrote a blog post about this very same match. It was my Hamlet virginity, or rather the sloppy loss of it, given I’ve recently moved into the area. I enjoyed, I very much did.

I like the idea of your blog: a facilitator for people to find a transpontine club, little or large. I guess your aim is to get people to attend football matches, simple. The one issue I’ve noticed, albeit anecdotally, is that whilst there is undoubtedly masses of potential support amongst huge swathes of disenchanted football fans, they tend to (rightly or wrongly) feel disheartened when they turn up at a local non-league club to find a skeletal skin-o’ya-teeth existence. They want big crowds AND “real” smell-the-lino’s-aftershave. Yes, they want their cake and to eat it, the buggers…

What I’m championing is the idea of getting as many people as possible within given localities to get behind one team. A team with potential, easily accessible and that certain “cool” vibe. It is, of course, an accident of history that this one club in London should be… Dulwich Hamlet.

Writing this with tears streaming down my face. I love you guys. Can't believe the season is over. It's been an honour to either meet you or get to know you better.
I recently came across this comment on a football blog from 2011. I'll leave it to you lot to work out who wrote it:
I wrote a blog post about this very same match. It was my Hamlet virginity, or rather the sloppy loss of it, given I’ve recently moved into the area. I enjoyed, I very much did.

I like the idea of your blog: a facilitator for people to find a transpontine club, little or large. I guess your aim is to get people to attend football matches, simple. The one issue I’ve noticed, albeit anecdotally, is that whilst there is undoubtedly masses of potential support amongst huge swathes of disenchanted football fans, they tend to (rightly or wrongly) feel disheartened when they turn up at a local non-league club to find a skeletal skin-o’ya-teeth existence. They want big crowds AND “real” smell-the-lino’s-aftershave. Yes, they want their cake and to eat it, the buggers…

What I’m championing is the idea of getting as many people as possible within given localities to get behind one team. A team with potential, easily accessible and that certain “cool” vibe. It is, of course, an accident of history that this one club in London should be… Dulwich Hamlet.
Ha ha, i recognise this style of writing... Seems rather prescient.

As for Otto on the East Dulwich Forum... is he claiming that singing at football matches is an example of hipsterdom ruining football matches?! *Singing*?!?!?!?! As Danny might say, I WILL BUSS YOU UP!!!

Seeing all my mates develop a love for the team and looking at the photos and reading the match reports has made me miss London more than I have in a long time, and has helped me realise that football doesn't need to be sectarianism and violence, or stupid expensive and detached.

I'm actually quite sad the season's over, I've loved keeping up with it all

(I also realised the other day I am in posession of a pink and blue tattoo, clearly my distance fandom was foretold :D )

Yesterday's attendance was the highest in the league all season for anyone but Maidstone. Average attendances for the season were 667 (one too many :p), up 35.85%. Which is fantastic but doesn't show the whole picture of increasing attendances over the season - hopefully it will carry on next year. There were quite a lot of people there for the first time yesterday and I'm sure most will be back.

Awesome game awesome day. Met some brilliant new friends over the last few months. What are we going to do with our Saturdays now?

Anyways, we are going to watch the posh footy at the Effra this afternoon at 4pm if anyone wants a hair of the dog Badgers

Not too sure, fella in his sixties had a turn and was whisked off to Kings College. He was walking (aided) to the Ambulance so hopefully he was ok.

Thanks, I hope he's OK too. I hope Kingstonian don't go up though, I'll miss going to the the away match if they do.

What's the peoples choice on who'll go up in the play-off, maybe just to get an awkward away trip out of the way. AFC Hornchurch for me.

Last edited:
I had to laugh at this post on their forum, bearing in mind I had to wait all of half-time and beyond to get a cup of tea at their place!! One lady serving the whole crowd.

Re: DHFC Attendance
Paul Morriss, yesterday at 22:25:08
User: Paul Morriss - profile
Views: 255

Well done mate on your attendances, but I'd suggest more bar staff or a bigger bar!! It was boring standing 5 people deep with 5 mins until KO!!

So Peacehaven and VCD Athletic will be in our division next season. Anyone know which of the relegated Conference South sides would come down to the Ryman Premier?

Which two clubs relegated from the Conference South/North are likely to end up in the Isthmian Premier next season?
Definitely Tonbridge Angels. Possibly Hayes & Yeading, but they may not go down as I believe Vauxhall Motors have resigned from Conference North and H&Y have a better playing record than Oxford City, who finished in the equivalent position in Conf N. In which case the spare place in our division would be filled by someone shifting across from the Southern League, probably St Albans City if they don't go up in the play-offs, or maybe Hitchin Town. Both those clubs were regular league opponents of the Hamlet up to the turn of the century.

(The Vauxhall Motors situation could also mean a reprieve from relegation for Wingate & Finchley.)

Back
Top Bottom