Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

So many games in coming days in the Isthmian leagues... but no Dulwich :-(

I'm going to cheer on Guernsey away at Redhill on Tuesday? In preparation of their likely play off game v Leatherhead... Anyone else fancying going?

Courtesy of a 6-point deduction the Leatherhead v Guernsey play-off is ON tomorrow evening. Champion_hill and I had a great time with the Guernsey fans a few weeks back, and they are keen for us to come again. They are even going to borrow some shirts from the team to share with any Hamlet fans that come down. I will certainly maintain a smattering of pink and blue however!

I'll be cheering on Guernsey more than being anti-Leatherhead, as I think Guernsey away next season would be a legendary away trip and a great Autumn/Winter/Spring holiday! I am tempted, however, to make a "Caution - fragile walls" banner...

Sadly, we all have a vacant Wednesday evening now, so why not make up for it and take in this game tomorrow?

Last edited:
(and singing songs I couldn't sing in germany :p )!

I presume you mean the uber alles song from the Dead Kennedys? How do you feel about that? I like it personally, but I am not that comfortable with possible misinterpretations. I tell myself that nobody could possibly take it the wrong way given all the other flags...but I still have slight misgiving about it.

I woke up this morning singing Dulwich songs again, think I have recovered from the disappointment of Saturday by renewing my season ticket. I didn't particularly care for promotion but I was gutted not to have another 1 or 2 opportunities to celebrate how fucking great we all are with strangers and friends alike.

It was great to meet the Altona fans. The fact that they so effortlessly appeared at home and brought English versions of their fanzine to hand out, tells me that our clubs must have so much in common. I may not make it this year, but I will make it to a game at some point.

Someone had a chat with Matthieu Boyer after the game. He currently works part time in a large café chain and can't find more fulltime work. He has loved this season but the financial reality means that unless he finds a new job, he will likely have to move back to France. If anyone comes across any need for French teaching etc, then lets put him in touch. A really nice bloke and if this keeps up all of our player specific songs will be useless.

Me and Dunc went to Guernsey a couple of weeks back. A really friendly bunch, we will be going on Tuesday not only because Leatherhead are scum but because we want a holiday in Guernsey next year. If anyone else fancies it then let us know.

This has probably been my favourite season since I started at Dulwich, maybe not on the pitch but what has happened off it. In the last few months I have met new people at every game. The crowds grow but as they do, it seems that those it attracts are all like minded, friendly people. You know that no matter what the score or whether few people can't make it, you are going to end up having a great day out.

We will no doubt lose players again this summer, with Gavin here though the next generation will step up to replace them. All but Erhun, who realistically we should all just be honoured to have seen him play at this level.

Roll on pre-season, trips to bizarre-tiny grounds, Junior Kadi filling in as ref, getting pissed in the sun, Phil Wilson pretending that he has forgotten the rules over the summer before a spectacular return to form as the season starts. Its going to be fucking great.

PS Otto, Steve - eat shit you stone faced fuckers.

This was my first full season as a Hamlet fan and OH MY DAYS, has it been fucking awesome.

Special mentions go to the trips to Enfield, Kingstonian, East Thurrock, Billericay and Hampton and Richmond. I wasn't at Margate and am still disappointed with myself for not trying harder to get there.

No love for Canvey Island away? :p

Commiserations Dulwich. You've had a hell of a season. I'm kind of glad you're not going up as that means I can come to Champion Hill next season. With Enfield! Yes, we're staying up, though we did our best to make a balls of it. Saturday was exhausting for us at Cray, truly draining. You can see our relief on The Cold End's short highlights package here. The manager's got the drum again, the silly sod! :)

Can't wait for next season now. "This year we're staying up, next year we're going up..." etc

Nice comment from the Charlton forum about Hamlet. Sums up how I feel about Cardiff.
Good to see people enjoying themselves at the football. You see, it is possible.

I took my little un to a game there a couple of weeks ago. Great fun. Not sure I can persuade him that it's better to got to The Valley where you have to sit still, listen to the crowd moan and watch sterile football in the hope that we can make it to the Premier League, a competition which we also hate.

Non-League seems to capture the joy of football, something that seems to have disappeared from the higher echelons of the game in recent years.
http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/44363/dulwich-hamlet-fc/p12

I presume you mean the uber alles song from the Dead Kennedys? How do you feel about that? I like it personally, but I am not that comfortable with possible misinterpretations. I tell myself that nobody could possibly take it the wrong way given all the other flags...but I still have slight misgiving about it.

This sounds harsh written down, but any discomfort over the words uber alles seems like lazy thinking. I assume you weren't offended by the song by the Dead Kennedys, if you were then all the lyrics have been stripped out of it, except Uber Alles and these are not offensive in themselves.

On a political note, I don't think any part of the German anthem should have been banned, it certainly hasn't eradicated the far right in Germany.

No love for Canvey Island away? :p

ENFIELD AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair every time I have left the house wearing my Hamlet scarf I knew that it will be another highlight.

I didnt think anything was going to top last year.... but some how I feel we have...i have met some amazing people this year and got to know a lot more people a lot better......

was absolutely gutted with the result but in the end I dont think it mattered the unity between the players, fans, nouveaux and old is special and I cant wait til pre season to see everyone behind the goal again....

im looking forward to continuing to share this experience with all of you next season. love you, love it, love dhfc!

Someone had a chat with Matthieu Boyer after the game. He currently works part time in a large café chain and can't find more fulltime work. He has loved this season but the financial reality means that unless he finds a new job, he will likely have to move back to France. If anyone comes across any need for French teaching etc, then lets put him in touch. A really nice bloke and if this keeps up all of our player specific songs will be useless.

That would be a real shame. We all knew Erhun was going, and we can't expect to keep players if they get good offers from pro clubs but to lose someone for other employment reasons is a bit gutting.

Boyer! Boyer!
Employ Matthieu Boyer!
When they attack he's conscientious and efficient, and shows good attention to detail!
He's Mattieu Boyer!:p

It was great to meet the Altona fans. The fact that they so effortlessly appeared at home and brought English versions of their fanzine to hand out, tells me that our clubs must have so much in common. I may not make it this year, but I will make it to a game at some point.

Oh yeah great to see the Altona lads again. Already told the missus another trip to Hamburg is a must. Maybe October time.

You're very welcome in Altona - in fact these season a couple of DHFC-supporters had been over for our matches. Just write me a mail for further tipps, when you've decided to come over!

;)

This sounds harsh written down, but any discomfort over the words uber alles seems like lazy thinking. I assume you weren't offended by the song by the Dead Kennedys, if you were then all the lyrics have been stripped out of it, except Uber Alles and these are not offensive in themselves.
On a political note, I don't think any part of the German anthem should have been banned, it certainly hasn't eradicated the far right in Germany.

First of all: there haven't been banned any part of this song in germany by law - the first and second verse are just not used during official occasions anymore, because a lot of older people associate the first one with the Horst-Wessel-Lied. Between 1933 and 1945 these two anthems were sung together without a break between them.

In my opinion your song is great and I really looked forward to sing it with you. But there're very few people in germany who associate the the words "über alles" with the California-song (which I do like as well). Our clubs colours are black, white and red and if we walk through other districts or towns a lot of pedestrians think we're a kind of fascist punks. This song could be a bit too much for the german sense of humour...

;)

Great vid highlights, Ron Merlin! Looks like a cracking atmos and celebration.

Not surprised to read such comments from the Charlton forum. I've had a bit of a soft spot for them since living in London but the last time we went (about 3 years ago) the anger and vitriol spewing forth from all around me was unbelievable. And they were comfortably winning the game! Bizarre. It was a pivotal moment that further turned me off the upper echelons.

Talking of which... me and the missus had a post-season debrief in the merry pubs of Camberwell last night and, a few Sagres and a plate of curry 'n' chips later, we finally concluded and just about agreed that... on the pitch, the previous season offered more joy (Danny Carr, bashing almost every side we came up against within the first half hour, a bucketload of sensational goals and winning the title on the last day of the season is all pretty hard to beat) but this season definitely wins for off the pitch shenanigans. It's not just the growing volume of fans but that so many are so wonderfully friendly and, crucially, in it for real - there home and away, obsessively posting reports and pictures after every game, painting the champion hill landscape pink and blue, spreading the word, and bringing the noise, whatever the weather. For me, the last away game, at Hampton and Richmond was a season highlight. It felt like the whole DH family were beautifully 'together', as one, especially up in the stand in the second half - no thoughts of dinosaur or new-veau, everyone simply belting it out and bouncing like bunnies in unison. And the team clearly vibed off it. An incredible day out. And the best feeling of all is that, fingers crossed, we have many more to come.

I really should write down my thoughts on the season, but haven't got the time to do so at this very moment, stuck at work in my break, as some of you may have noticed I can witter on a bit... ;-)

In the meantime, if anyone wants a free football fix tonight, the Reserves are at home to Hayes & Yeading United, kick off 7.45pm, and it's FREE ADMISSION accroding to the post on the official website!

Why not pop along and see if you can spot any Hamlet stars of the future...

You're very welcome in Altona - in fact these season a couple of DHFC-supporters had been over for our matches. Just write me a mail for further tipps, when you've decided to come over!

;)
Here's hoping you win the appeal and then the replayed Hamburg Cup semi-final then! ;-)
It's a honour to have any Altona fans standing on our terraces...
Sorry we didn't get any decent time to chat, but I'm sure you didn't want to be bored with me! ;-)

First of all: there haven't been banned any part of this song in germany by law - the first and second verse are just not used during official occasions anymore, because a lot of older people associate the first one with the Horst-Wessel-Lied. Between 1933 and 1945 these two anthems were sung together without a break between them.

In my opinion your song is great and I really looked forward to sing it with you. But there're very few people in germany who associate the the words "über alles" with the California-song (which I do like as well). Our clubs colours are black, white and red and if we walk through other districts or towns a lot of pedestrians think we're a kind of fascist punks. This song could be a bit too much for the german sense of humour...

;)

:) Good to know. Cheers.

Here's hoping you win the appeal and then the replayed Hamburg Cup semi-final then! ;-)
It's a honour to have any Altona fans standing on our terraces...
Sorry we didn't get any decent time to chat, but I'm sure you didn't want to be bored with me! ;-)

We had the nice chat on friday night - and I'm looking forward to continue this in the end of may!

:)

I've got a spare copy and would swap it against (?! - sorry, my English...) a copy of yesterdays programme, which I missed to buy.
More copies of the Hamlet Historian will be on sale at the presentation night, which is free to attend, in the bar on Saturday 10th May, more details to follow.

Jan, I will bring you a programme from Saturday, when I pop over to watch your tournament.

There's a lot easier way to rack up hits than spending bloody hours taking photos, sorting them out at home later, editing and processing them, and then adding them to the site!
That is true, hence the wanky winky thing! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom