Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Well I wasn't there today, stuck at work, so not entirely sure who said what, or what was sung...but....there has always been what has been termed as bad language at football, and there always will be. like it or not that's part of life, not always nice to hear for some...but there you go. Swearing in emotivie moments has always been part of football culture, and always will be, like in most walks of life, where sometimes people shout things when they're emotional/hyped up/ a bit pissed, delete whatever. If it was shouted at every game, or constantly at a game, I would certainly have a quiet word, and tap the person on the shoulder. Try it yourself...it might work, our fans aren't monsters. Likewise if you challenge the 'tits, fanny & Dulwich ' song I am sure those singing it will b a bit embarrassed and stop. It's an old traditional football song, and people can't be educated overnight, and there's clearly some educating to do. But then what would I know...
Personally I've never liked that song, but them I've always preferred 'cocks and bums' to 'tits and fanny'... ;-)
Oh, and if you're too timid and genteel you can always move along the side, where I'm sure you won't be shocked...just a thought. Or go grass to a steward...

maybe im really slow but just read through this this morning but what is the point then. More and more people are choosing to stand behind the goal with the more colourful characters for the atmosphere where there will be some silly swearing. Personally haven't heard the word wankstain since i was at school and thought it was pretty funny not sure how personal that is unless you saw something about the keeper i didn't. As ed said if people don't like singing or swearing then people can move around as behind the goal isn't the best view so you're only there to be with these people.

i do on the other hand agree that if something makes you feel uncomfortable it should be raised which it has been before with certain sexist and homophobic abuse and then it can be self policed. But silly school boy swearing..... . enjoy the sillliness that's why people are choosing to watch rthe game from behind the goal as i said i don't think its just about the view.

lets not sanitize this part of life too much as well. Peace love and hail satan. X

I do think it's out of order to be abusive to the opposition, yes. Friendly rivalry is fine. But at the end of the day it's a family day out. Not sure what's classist about that.

Why do you think football is a family day out? Yes, children are welcome... but it is hardly legoland or a picnic in the local park. If football is your idea of a family day out, you need to raise your family differently.

It's not THAT big a deal but a line was overstepped IMHO. "Silly swearing" can be needlessly aggressive.

Otoh, "why are you wearing my ironing board cover" was priceless.

Why do you think football is a family day out? Yes, children are welcome... but it is hardly legoland or a picnic in the local park. If football is your idea of a family day out, you need to raise your family differently.
Seriously?

It's not THAT big a deal but a line was overstepped IMHO. "Silly swearing" can be needlessly aggressive.

Otoh, "why are you wearing my ironing board cover" was priceless.

insulting his clothes was probably far more personal than abstract wankstains. .. :p

again different levels of tolerance i suppose... For me that's not aggresive at all as its a silly 13yr old boy cuss... I have heard a lot worse not been complained about... Which is probably why this thing has generated a bit more discussion...

People like to go with their kids/grand kids? That's how it used to be before big business took over.

They wouldn't generally go behind the goal with them though tbf, the more 'boisterous' sections of grounds weren't really seen as kid friendly.

This is an old argument that has always gone on around football really (and calling it 'classist' is a bit silly). At Dulwich there's been a good balance between generating some of that old style anarchic atmosphere and a generally welcoming environment. I'd like to think that could be maintained but I don't think it's ever been possible to keep everyone happy as people have different ideas of what's appropriate.

People like to go with their kids/grand kids? That's how it used to be before big business took over.

If we take "Big Business" take over as Sky in the 90s rather than Hadley this year, then surely football was a lot less of a family day out, as it was surely more dangerous in the 70s, 80s, 90s, then it is now.

I would say that when a child stands behind the goal, he is surrounded by an adult environment, and most quite blissfully play among themselves, but if I wanted to shelter children in a manner suitable to a family environment, i.e. no swearing or actions of an adult nature, then I would want not to take them to a football match.

If we take "Big Business" take over as Sky in the 90s rather than Hadley this year, then surely football was a lot less of a family day out, as it was surely more dangerous in the 70s, 80s, 90s, then it is now.

I would say that when a child stands behind the goal, he is surrounded by an adult environment, and most quite blissfully play among themselves, but if I wanted to shelter children in a manner suitable to a family environment, i.e. no swearing or actions of an adult nature, then I would want not to take them to a football match.
My other half has fond memories of Maine Rd with his Dad in the early Seventies. I am not a natural football fan but one of the things I like about Dulwich is there are people of all ages. It's not just an exercise in male bonding. ;)

My other half has fond memories of Maine Rd with his Dad in the early Seventies. I am not a natural football fan but one of the things I like about Dulwich is there are people of all ages. It's not just an exercise in male bonding. ;)

I agree with you :)

The more people the better of all ages the better. However, there will always be swearing and aggression from people of all those ages because it is so emotive.

More bonding of all types, not just between men :)

They wouldn't generally go behind the goal with them though tbf, the more 'boisterous' sections of grounds weren't really seen as kid friendly.

This is an old argument that has always gone on around football really (and calling it 'classist' is a bit silly). At Dulwich there's been a good balance between generating some of that old style anarchic atmosphere and a generally welcoming environment. I'd like to think that could be maintained but I don't think it's ever been possible to keep everyone happy as people have different ideas of what's appropriate.
In terms of class, my background is more working-class than many urbanites (hard to believe, I know) and bad language around women and children was definitely not acceptable. Bloody and bleeding and bugger were not deemed to be swear words though! :D

anyways... happy easter see you nut jobs tomorrow

14j27fb.png

Back
Top Bottom