Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet fans discuss how to bring the joy back to Champion Hill

Didn't say I don't blame Ben, because ultimately I do, him and the rest of the board. These 4 pages of upset and disillusionment are down to their inactions.

Doesn't mean I don't have respect for the bloke. Some of the things he's done that have been kept out of the public eye are incredibly generous and kind, and for that I'll never write him off.

He must have been very busy with these extremely generous things, too busy to reply to the people that did lots to build the club without taking a controlling stake in return.

The 12th Man bank account is still there and I will continue to monitor the finances, and I would like to say a big thank you at this point to everyone that still contributes by standing order. I guarantee that every penny raised will continue to be used as it was intended - to help with the playing budget in times of real need. But from the contributors I have spoken to, we generally agree, that time is not now - especially as an offer of help I made to the chairman at the start of the season did not even garner a reply.

I don’t often post on here, but I have to agree with many of the statements in this thread, and it’s all a bit miserable isn’t it.

It’s great (in some ways) that we can have such huge numbers at CH. Many clubs in our division must look on enviously at our crowd sizes. But certainly not for the match-day experience, the atmosphere or the quality of our football team.

I agree that the crowd size should probably be limited to between 2-2.5k. Surely we can be sustainable even limiting ourselves to those numbers?! And if not, get cheaper, younger, hungry players who would revel at the idea of playing in front of large crowds. And if we can’t compete like that, drop a division.

I think we need a change of manager more than ever now. One who engages with the fans, gives post match interviews, who insists his players thank the supporters after every match, one who appreciates the huge number of passionate Hamlet fans, and who can give us a new lease of life.

Gavin Rose bought us many years of great, exciting, dynamic, attacking football and two promotions. We owe him respect and a nod of the head for that, but I feel the sooner he leaves now the better.

Last edited:
I don’t often post on here, but I have to agree with many of the statements in this thread, and it’s all a bit miserable isn’t it.

It’s great (in some ways) that we can have such huge numbers at CH. Many clubs in our division must look on enviously at our crowd sizes. But certainly not for the match-day experience, the atmosphere or the quality of our football team.

I agree that the crowd size should be probably be limited to between 2-2.5k. Surely we can be sustainable even limiting ourselves to those numbers?! And if not, get cheaper, younger, hungry players who would revel at the idea of playing in front of large crowds. And if we can’t compete like that, drop a division.

I think we need a change of manager more than ever now. One who engages with the fans, gives post match interviews, who insists his players thank the supporters after every match, one who appreciates the huge number of passionate Hamlet fans, and who can give us a new lease of life.

Gavin Rose bought us many years of great, exciting, dynamic, attacking football and two promotions. We owe him respect and nod of the head for that, but I feel the sooner he leaves now the better.
Listen don’t knock what u got. Great set up a manager that want the best for the club yes the team might let the fans down but that’s what football is all about that’s special in my eyes I followed a pro team for years home and away good times bad times u support your team. Like most of the fans at dulwich who have followed them everywhere get behind the team win lose or draw teams in our league would cry for our Add tendencies dartford sat 1300 dorking etc etc

We've had a couple of bad games on the bounce but I don't think we've consistently played badly this season. I've been to half a dozen games and we've been more than ok in a few of them.

I think we played alright in the second half on Saturday. And actually the problem in the first half wasn't a lack of passion or intent in my view, it was that our defence, who have previously been reasonably solid, completely fell to pieces in the face of their goalies unfeasibly long goal kicks.

Having been criticised in the past for high turnover of players, Gavin has decided this year for whatever reason to stick with the group he's started with and they are not doing that terribly. Won 3 drawn 2 lost 2 in the league.

We've played some pretty exciting football at times this season. But we're inconsistent.

Listen don’t knock what u got. Great set up a manager that want the best for the club yes the team might let the fans down but that’s what football is all about that’s special in my eyes I followed a pro team for years home and away good times bad times u support your team. Like most of the fans at dulwich who have followed them everywhere get behind the team win lose or draw teams in our league would cry for our Add tendencies dartford sat 1300 dorking etc etc

That's what football is all about? What have you been drinking at half time?

I think it's been seriously out of kilter on the pitch since the Carlisle FA Cup match. Probably before. Personally I think sort that out and the club will be in good order. Crowds of that size haven't been unusual over the last five years or so. And when the team plays well the atmosphere is great. But when the football's crap it pisses everyone off. And the football has been largely crap for a long time now. The lockdown game against Chippenham was the worst i've ever seen. And i'd have left that one at half time too had i not been a ballboy.

To be fair to those in charge we moaned about beer queues at the main bar as crowds grew so they put in an outside bar. Crowds grew again so there are now two outside bars which are still insufficient, short of squeezing in another I can’t see what else can be done. The attendance is now an extension of Lordship Lane on a Saturday afternoon. Maybe a number will disappear when the rugby starts unless it’s shown on the various TV’s in the bars.

I’ve always wanted temporary cover behind the goals and been shot down with the ‘why pay for that under the current ground circumstances?’ But miraculously one has appeared over a bar in an area where temporary seats may have been a better solution.

To be fair to those in charge we moaned about beer queues at the main bar as crowds grew so they put in an outside bar. Crowds grew again so there are now two outside bars which are still insufficient, short of squeezing in another I can’t see what else can be done
Exactly right. The club has done what it can, it's just not enough for crowd sizes like Saturday.

I’ve always wanted temporary cover behind the goals and been shot down with the ‘why pay for that under the current ground circumstances?’ But miraculously one has appeared over a bar in an area where temporary seats may have been a better solution.
The cover was put in to allow a COVID safe bar when the club bar couldn’t open to keep some money coming in when there was none from gates.

The cover was put in to allow a COVID safe bar when the club bar couldn’t open to keep some money coming in when there was none from gates.
It’s been there since the start of this season while the main bar has also been open. Why would it be open if no-one could attend?

Consult fans in building a better stadium on Greendale astro. Get a decent tannoy. Recruit a new management team for next season. Focus community work and associated fundraising through the Edgar Kail Foundation.

Consult fans in building a better stadium on Greendale astro. Get a decent tannoy. Recruit a new management team for next season. Focus community work and associated fundraising through the Edgar Kail Foundation.

For this season, please! What's the point in keeping GR on and wasting more time and money and players on the remainder of this season.

Solutions.. I think the Peter Crouch twitter Q&A thing was unnecessary, so I'd knock that sort of publicity on the head. In fact I'd probably knock the whole Crouch thing on the head. Just admit it was a mistake and move on.

I'd like the club to acknowledge the lack of interviews or updates from the coaching staff and players and explain why they think it is acceptable.

If Gavin isn't willing to talk to the in-house media team I'd use the £50k proceeds from Saturday to pay up his contract.

I'd go for a ground cap of 2,000. I'd consider raising the admission to £15 to offset the loss of income and deter people with no real interest in the game.

(side note, I chat to my mates during the game over a beer or two, it's one of the things I enjoy about going. So I'm slightly uneasy about criticising new fans for doing the same. If the team were playing with flair and passion people would engage more with what's happening on the pitch. I don't think we'd have had the same thread if we had come back to beat Billericay 3-2 in the last minute).

Agree with the sentiment that Carlisle was a turning point in many ways.

Just on the subject of reducing the capacity - I was just looking back to a game I felt was one of the most enjoyable I've experienced at Champion Hill, the 2-2 FA Trophy game against Macclesfield in 2017, where we came back from 2-0 down and Carew equalised with a wonder-goal right at the end. The crowd for that one was 2,834. Back then I felt there was still a strong connection between the players and fans, and also a cracking atmosphere ... so it is possible to have those things with a big crowd. I feel like that was probably as big as the crowd should be allowed to get, though. And of course things seem to have changed a lot since then.

Completely agree with the above comments about the management's disappearance from the media. Why is the club's community lead giving the post-match interview to the press? Is Gavin in a huff about something? I'd be tempted to think it's something to do with Crouch's arrival, but I feel like this has been going on for longer than that.

That's a very good point about the crowd. I had Macc in mind. Difference was the performance was all blood and thunder against Macc, with that great goal. But then see also the record crowd against Bath back in 2019 when the team played crap and the atmosphere followed suit. It's all about the team i tell you. Everything else is detail. And we need the money from big average crowds. Jason Cobb's article has much to commend it, but it is written from the position of someone who hasn't had a lot to do with the club in the last five years or so. We need to build a new fan culture at the club, based on large sustainable crowds. Fun though it was back in the day, the club was in a perilous position and always a large milk bill away from extinction. So how do we build a community club, with a burgeoning fan culture, and an enjoyable experience for all comers, at those levels of attendance? I absolutely trust Ben and co to get this right and to do the right thing for the club as we move to a new stadium.

But we do need a football team that is at the heart of this. And i think Gavin's time is done.

Just on the subject of reducing the capacity - I was just looking back to a game I felt was one of the most enjoyable I've experienced at Champion Hill, the 2-2 FA Trophy game against Macclesfield in 2017, where we came back from 2-0 down and Carew equalised with a wonder-goal right at the end. The crowd for that one was 2,834. Back then I felt there was still a strong connection between the players and fans, and also a cracking atmosphere ... so it is possible to have those things with a big crowd. I feel like that was probably as big as the crowd should be allowed to get, though. And of course things seem to have changed a lot since then.

Completely agree with the above comments about the management's disappearance from the media. Why is the club's community lead giving the post-match interview to the press? Is Gavin in a huff about something? I'd be tempted to think it's something to do with Crouch's arrival, but I feel like this has been going on for longer than that.
Macclesfield was no booze right? So there wasn’t the queueing for booze issue, nor the exacerbation of queuing for toilets issue…?

So the management now aren’t speaking to the one outlet they previously deemed worthy of their time.

And the bloke who the SLP did find, and who has seemingly spoken to the press on behalf of the club about the team’s performance despite having zero to do with the footballing side of things, doesn’t think the result is as important as having a big crowd in.

Excellent.

Last edited:

Think quite a lot has changed since the Macc game in 2017. The player/management interaction has gone very much downhill of course but I think a lot of people who would help with the atmosphere have drifted away now. Also, rather perversely, in giving supporters what they wanted regarding 'refreshments', the space available is further reduced compared with then.

I get the point that there wouldn't have been the same level of irritation with the conditions on Saturday if the performance hadn't been so poor but I do think a win would have just been a sticking plaster.

Just reduce the capacity to a sensible level.

I've been less troubled than many by the lack of words from the manager but it does seem to have got to a ridiculous stage now. I'm not going to criticise Rob for his quote in the SLP. The bloke works his arse off and is actually making sure that a more representative cross-section of the community attend games, albeit school children. Presumably he had the SLP bloke in his face and said what he said. It's for the club to ensure the club's view is out there.

I understand why people are miffed that the club doesn't interact with this forum. I also understand that it has no obligation to. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole if I was Ben or Tom. There needs to be formal supporter representation. Is the Trust doing that, to follow up my question from yesterday? If not then maybe something else is required.

So the management now aren’t speaking to the one outlet they previously deemed worthy of their time.

And the bloke who the SLP did find, and who has seemingly spoken to the press on behalf of the club about the team’s performance despite having zero to do with the footballing side of things, doesn’t think the result is as important as having a big crowd in.

Excellent.

That reads like it was done by someone on work experience - a lot of the SLP is produced by students and workies - although it's shone a light on perhaps how little people's discomfort about the pursuit of huge crowds and beer sales seems to be appreciated inside the club.

Regardless of who wrote the piece, if the club can't put up a member of the coaching staff to speak to a reporter after the match, then something's gone wrong.

I'm not going to criticise Rob for his quote in the SLP. The bloke works his arse off and is actually making sure that a more representative cross-section of the community attend games, albeit school children. Presumably he had the SLP bloke in his face and said what he said. It's for the club to ensure the club's view is out there.
It’s not a criticism of him, but a reflection of how badly things have deteriorated.

A good number if not the majority of clubs in our league have video or audio interviews with their management available on the same day for weekend games and the next day for midweek games. Those that don’t often have written interviews on their website within similar timeframes.

And it’s not like the facility hasn’t been there - it’s just the management have actively chosen not to use it.

Last edited:
A quick post from me from the Supporters' Trust perspective, I appreciate this is overdue. Many of the comments on the experiences, frustrations and disappointments from Saturday’s game expressed in this forum match with our own personal experiences (I too left at half time). I wanted to assure Trust members that we are engaging with the club, who are keen to work with us to improve the situation. We want to hear directly from our members on how we can work together to improve the match day experience, what the problems are and what the potential solutions might be. This is the focus of our discussions with the Club, but can I ask that you email us direct so we can respond appropriately?

Back
Top Bottom