Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dublin - news, discussion and tips for travellers

My son was there at the weekend. In the Guinness brewery he and his friends got pints of Guinness with their photograph on the head! Never mind the history or culture, pints with a photo on the head!

If you're interested in social history check out 14 Henrietta Street. I went there a few months ago, it only cost 10 Euros but you need to book in advance. I found it absolutely fascinating.

My son was there at the weekend. In the Guinness brewery he and his friends got pints of Guinness with their photograph on the head! Never mind the history or culture, pints with a photo on the head!
Was anyone else briefly confused about why A380's son and his friends had been taking photos with pints of Guinness on their heads, or was that just me?

If you're interested in social history check out 14 Henrietta Street. I went there a few months ago, it only cost 10 Euros but you need to book in advance. I found it absolutely fascinating.

that does look very interesting and I hope I can fit it in.

Was anyone else briefly confused about why A380's son and his friends had been taking photos with pints of Guinness on their heads, or was that just me?
They give you a pint of their vile shit when you reach the high level glass walled bar at the end of the tour. Even when I was given a glass for free I still couldn't take more than a couple of sips of it.
That said the tour is very good even if you don't drink the stuff.
I really enjoyed my visit to Dublin when I went.

tbf i can cheat as my mum is one of 11 and my da is one of 9 from finglas

but we almost have as many people in Glasnevin as walking the earth

people are literally dying to get in...
Last time was at Glasnevin (and Ballymena, come to think of it) was for funerals.

Glasnevin is fascinating, would like to spend more time there next time there (hopefully alive and not attending funerals).

• will be posting pix
  • was on Dame Street. there were dames.
  • saw a Mercedes with Clare license plates. whatever would my father have thought.
  • the espresso here is really expensive, but there sure are alot of coffee shops now.
  • went to Connolly Books, that was depressing, though they had for sale a nice selection of USSR pins
  • am weary but I will drag myself to the Chester Beatty Library today.

the espresso here is really expensive, but there sure are alot of coffee shops now.
Did you go to Bewley’s on Grafton Street? My younger daughter used to tell people she was conceived there. She wasn’t. Mrs LR did a pregnancy test in the toilets. (She noticed the coffee tasted funny and the wine had tasted funny the night before and it suddenly dawned on her that happened when she was pregnant with the older one, so she nipped across the road to Boots and bought a test while I had my espresso!)

• magpies are the pigeons of dublin. better-looking, too.
  • there's a fast food chain called "abra kebabra." pretty good name.
  • around where i was staying i saw quite a number of what appeared to be private, conservative elementary/high schools.

petee the archaeology museum is on the same street as the national library of ireland (and leinster house). pop into the nli and ask to use the gents, they're worth a look in passing, a comfy chair and lovely stained glass

the archaeology museum had nice facilities too; sorry, i didn't get to the library (i know it's feet away, next time!)

the archaeology museum also has nice doorways

20230328_105358.jpg

longboat is looonnnnnnnnnngggggggg

20230328_105649.jpg

The place is crawling with avid American footie fans. I saw one yesterday who was a stereotypical "Poindexter" with the crew cut and tartan blazer with the Notre Dame crest on the breast pocket.

(ND no longer use the cartoon of the wee Irish lad threatening you with fisticuffs, alas).

The place is crawling with avid American footie fans. I saw one yesterday who was a stereotypical "Poindexter" with the crew cut and tartan blazer with the Notre Dame crest on the breast pocket.

(ND no longer use the cartoon of the wee Irish lad threatening you with fisticuffs, alas).
1692998453290.png

I'll watch the festivities from this vantage point:

I just arrived in Dublin but had no idea this was on until now.
Are you going to the big game?

“They keep saying ‘American football’ and then they want to get into a conversation about Gaelic football,” Patrick said of rugby, “and how American football, ‘You guys are soft,’ and ‘Gaelic football is the reason why you have American football.’ “

His response?

“I just go along with it,” he said. “I’m not fighting any Irish. I’m just here to watch the Fighting Irish.”

Last edited:
There's a niche interest in it. Unfortunately, some fellow Dubliners will be showing their interest in foreign cultures by beating up tourists in the city centre or burning out refugee houses or holding rallies claiming that "Ireland is full " in Ballybrack.

Back
Top Bottom