Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dublin - news, discussion and tips for travellers

Fitzwilliam Sq is lovely, mostly offices so dead quiet at the weekend, if you can afford it I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

Cheers - that’s helpful. I did a streetview search and it seemed to be on the hop on hop off open top bus route and is walkable from ground and temple bar (picking the only city centre place I have heard of) so seems a good location.

Have sent it to the others - they should be fine with the cost

egans guesthouse is over by crowe park but quite reasonable for it location used when back home for ransom events In Dublin 20 minutes taxi ride to the Aviva

Cheers - that’s helpful. I did a streetview search and it seemed to be on the hop on hop off open top bus route and is walkable from ground and temple bar (picking the only city centre place I have heard of) so seems a good location.

Have sent it to the others - they should be fine with the cost

Not far from Grafton street and all the nice pubs located round the back of same as well. As previously mentioned, avoid Temple Bar!

This tour starts pretty much at F. Sq. Mount St. is very close.
That sounds interesting.

Plan is to be there Thursday to Sunday (match Friday night) so there should be an opportunity for a bit of education / culture

I’ve only spent 12 hours in Dublin, 4 of them were running the 2006 dublin marathon so while I’ve seen actually a lot of the city it was mostly mundane suburbs

This is true, one of my favourites, The Stags Head, is literally across the road from Temple Bar.
and the Old Stand is just around the corner too. Thats a good rugby pub. Across the road is the International Bar, and they used to have stand-up comedy nights (not sure if they still do)

if you are looking for a break from the pubs, I can highly recommend the Glasnevin cemetery tour, aka 1 million Dubliners (bound to be home to someone you know). Not morbid at all and highly entertaining and thought provoking if you have any connection / interest in Ireland and her people.

For those of us who dont do twitter and are somewhat peeved by posts that never give summaries:

Basically, a 4000 seater stadium looks to be set up next year and based in Blanchardstown.

Interest in the game has increased in recent years, and Irish teams are becoming rather good at the game that originally came from the colonisers.

Womens teams are also growing, with input from Dublin South Asian heritage community.

For those of us who dont do twitter and are somewhat peeved by posts that never give summaries:

Basically, a 4000 seater stadium looks to be set up next year and based in Blanchardstown.

Interest in the game has increased in recent years, and Irish teams are becoming rather good at the game that originally came from the colonisers.

Womens teams are also growing, with input from Dublin South Asian heritage community.

My brother took up cricket a few years ago, I think he had to pack it in for health reasons but he was playing for a team in Dublin somewhere.

It was actually a very popular game pre civil war.

It was actually a very popular game pre civil war.

I dont doubt it, but it was seen (when I was a young thing) as very elitist and a colonial hangover. Thats changed now, and like our fellow (oppressed by the Empire) nations, Ireland will not be too far off giving the English a sound thrashing on the crease.

Probably wont be watching it as its one of those sports could never really get into.

I dont doubt it, but it was seen (when I was a young thing) as very elitist and a colonial hangover. Thats changed now, and like our fellow (oppressed by the Empire) nations, Ireland will not be too far off giving the English a sound thrashing on the crease.

Probably wont be watching it as its one of those sports could never really get into.

Well I assume you were born post civil war?

I watched a program on rte last week and it showed how cricket was the most popular sport in Ireland pre GAA. Played in many towns & villages all throughout Ireland. Post civil war..post GAA... etc it was shut down. And that whole idea that it was "colonial" was emphasised and led to its demise.

The program did go on to show that cricket is still a well played well supported sport in Ireland.

My next door neighbour played on the Irish team and he's no west Brit.
There's a local team here too.

Eta.

There is some discussion on evidence that cricket came from the Irish game "catty ".

Well I assume you were born post civil war?

I watched a program on rte last week and it showed how cricket was the most popular sport in Ireland pre GAA. Played in many towns & villages all throughout Ireland. Post civil war..post GAA... etc it was shut down. And that whole idea that it was "colonial" was emphasised and led to its demise.

The program did go on to show that cricket is still a well played well supported sport in Ireland.

My next door neighbour played on the Irish team and he's no west Brit.
There's a local team here too.

Eta.

There is some discussion on evidence that cricket came from the Irish game "catty ".

You assume correctly.

Wouldnt call it "West Brit", but know there are that do.

Anyway, its much more inclusive now and its jobs for Blanchardstown and maybe Ireland might just have an Olympic team in the not too distant future.

You assume correctly.

Wouldnt call it "West Brit", but know there are that do.

Anyway, its much more inclusive now and its jobs for Blanchardstown and maybe Ireland might just have an Olympic team in the not too distant future.
Possibly four years from now...

Decided that the mode of travel next year is going to ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. This will be me and a mate. Will drive up to Holyhead as want to do some tourist stuff in North Wales for a few days beforehand. Then Thursday - Sunday in Dublin for rugby on Friday night.

Ferry as a foot passenger to make it a booze cruise to Dublin ahead of the rugby. Petrol to Holyhead, Wales hotels and the ferry ticket will cost around the same as flying from Bristol, and should be more fun and mean travelling at more civilised times

There seems to be some sort of on board floating business lounge with free booze and snacks like in an airport but they only offer wine, not beer or spirits, presumably to deter people like me and my chum :D :hmm: :oops: So not sure we will do that or not

I am going to angle to do a 1916 uprising themed walking tour on the Friday morning - couldn’t get your link to work spitfire :confused: perhaps visit the Little Museum of Dublin on the Saturday or Sunday morning which I think is close to our accommodation. I expect the Guinness brewery experience will be regarded as compulsory by most of our group. Not sure I’m that arsed but will go with the flow on that one :)

Then a ferry back Sunday PM

Did look at Sail rail but it seemed more or less impossible to get the right crossing times on, coming from the regions. It must be a better proposition from London :)

Yes it is very easy from London (but not infallible). You’d have to get into London for about 8am so peak fares which would probably cost the same as getting a private jet straight to Dublin. :D

Yes it is very easy from London (but not infallible). You’d have to get into London for about 8am so peak fares which would probably cost the same as getting a private jet straight to Dublin. :D

Basically it is the same train every day from Euston, (08.10 or 09.10, can't recall which), not sure how it would work from the regions but if you got to Crewe you could probably hop on there.

But the road trip sounds like more fun tbh, I just had a look on JustPark and there are 3 on there for Holyhead, Asda car park through them is £42 for 6 days on a random date next March so that would fit the bill.

I've had a look for the Mount street walking tour but I think he must have packed it in, no sign of it anywhere recently. Kilmainham is a must do, book ahead.

As for the ferry, the Club Class lounge is comfortable and a bit more peaceful but like you say, wine only. I think you get the faster internet as well but it's still crap.

However the rest of the ferry can get very busy and you then may be subject to hordes of screaming kids running amok or not having any decent seats as the car drivers get let on first so it may be worth the money, I have done it for these reasons before.

Big slow ferry and small fast ferry have Club Class but the small fast ferry has no cabins and goes mighty quick. I think 3 hours instead of 4 1/2? But the 4 1/2 flies by with a few pints, bit of a deck walk. Make sure you turn your phone onto airplane mode or the At Sea 3G will cost you mega money. There is no deck to walk on small fast ferry just a balcony out the back that is packed with smokers and fun for about 2 minutes.

If you are on the big ferry an alternative would be to get a cabin (last time I think it cost me €40? check). Then you have somewhere to leave your bags and you can both wander around together without needing someone to stay with the bags. All human life is aboard a ferry...

DON'T BUY ANY FOOD ON THE FERRY IT IS SHIT AND HORRIFICALLY EXPENSIVE*.

€22 for a pizza anyone, how about the same for a big sausage and chips? No? Thought not, bring a packed lunch and save your money for the bar/duty free.

*the only exception to this rule is the breakfast which is also shit and expensive but makes you think you are a truck driver)

Basically it is the same train every day from Euston, (08.10 or 09.10, can't recall which), not sure how it would work from the regions but if you got to Crewe you could probably hop on there.

But the road trip sounds like more fun tbh, I just had a look on JustPark and there are 3 on there for Holyhead, Asda car park through them is £42 for 6 days on a random date next March so that would fit the bill.

I've had a look for the Mount street walking tour but I think he must have packed it in, no sign of it anywhere recently. Kilmainham is a must do, book ahead.

As for the ferry, the Club Class lounge is comfortable and a bit more peaceful but like you say, wine only. I think you get the faster internet as well but it's still crap.

However the rest of the ferry can get very busy and you then may be subject to hordes of screaming kids running amok or not having any decent seats as the car drivers get let on first so it may be worth the money, I have done it for these reasons before.

Big slow ferry and small fast ferry have Club Class but the small fast ferry has no cabins and goes mighty quick. I think 3 hours instead of 4 1/2? But the 4 1/2 flies by with a few pints, bit of a deck walk. Make sure you turn your phone onto airplane mode or the At Sea 3G will cost you mega money. There is no deck to walk on small fast ferry just a balcony out the back that is packed with smokers and fun for about 2 minutes.

If you are on the big ferry an alternative would be to get a cabin (last time I think it cost me €40? check). Then you have somewhere to leave your bags and you can both wander around together without needing someone to stay with the bags. All human life is aboard a ferry...

DON'T BUY ANY FOOD ON THE FERRY IT IS SHIT AND HORRIFICALLY EXPENSIVE*.

€22 for a pizza anyone, how about the same for a big sausage and chips? No? Thought not, bring a packed lunch and save your money for the bar/duty free.

*the only exception to this rule is the breakfast which is also shit and expensive but makes you think you are a truck driver)

Cheers, that is very helpful! Noted re Kilmainham.

There is also official parking at the terminal which imagine we will use for convenience.

There’s a ferry from Holyhead around 1000 which gets in around 1300, which sounds like it would be the fast one? Ideal timing I think given what you say about food. We will almost certainly do the club lounge going out. I like the sound of a walk on deck and my pal will definitely want to go out for a gasper a few times

Cheers, that is very helpful! Noted re Kilmainham.

There is also official parking at the terminal which imagine we will use for convenience.

There’s a ferry from Holyhead around 1000 which gets in around 1300, which sounds like it would be the fast one? Ideal timing I think given what you say about food. We will almost certainly do the club lounge going out. I like the sound of a walk on deck and my pal will definitely want to go out for a gasper a few times

Stena or Irish Ferries? I always go Irish Ferries because of the rail sail.

Back
Top Bottom