Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dublin - news, discussion and tips for travellers

Dublin ferryport is a bit out of the way so you'll have to factor in taxi/bus into town (unless you get the ferry to Dún Laoghaire where you can get the DART).

I get picked up by my dad but I reckon it will be a hard sell to him to pick you up as a favour. :D

Irish ferries I think. Best timings for us assuming the 1040 one operates every day

The timetables don't change much I think, apart from weather obvs. So yeah that will probably be the fast one. It should tell you the name of the ferry when you book and you can google it.

The Dublin Swift.

1725305478042.png

We are booked on Stena to Dublin now, thanks for your help spitfire with the lounge both ways. The mate I am travelling with is a bit of a snob and on reflection a ferry must be like being trapped in a motorway services for several hours (and not a nice one like Gloucester!)

Irish ferries hadn’t at that point released their June timetable and I wanted to get it sorted before I forgot. So I think we are more or less sorted now regards our Ireland trip. Have also booked some hotels in various parts of North Wales for our trip before Dublin.

We are booked on Stena to Dublin now, thanks for your help spitfire with the lounge both ways. The mate I am travelling with is a bit of a snob and on reflection a ferry must be like being trapped in a motorway services for several hours (and not a nice one like Gloucester!)

Irish ferries hadn’t at that point released their June timetable and I wanted to get it sorted before I forgot. So I think we are more or less sorted now regards our Ireland trip. Have also booked some hotels in various parts of North Wales for our trip before Dublin.

If you are on a big slow ferry time on deck can be rewarded.

I've not seen them but Mini Fire and Mlle Fire saw whales! And once on a crossing the Irish Coastguard practised picking up casualties from the ferry which is great fun to watch. They do it quite often apparently.

1726732614083.png

View attachment joined_video_fc69609168594c419b4e48b5f3f29e08.mp4

I've not seen them but Mini Fire and Mlle Fire saw whales! And once on a crossing the Irish Coastguard practised picking up casualties from the ferry which is great fun to watch. They do it quite often apparently.

View attachment 443302

View attachment 443303

I have seen Wales from the ferry but not whales. To be clear.

View attachment 443302

View attachment 443303
Yeah it’s a big slow ferry. Leaves 0900 arrives 1215

Will be up for time on deck certainly

Decided that the mode of travel next year is going to ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. This will be me and a mate. Will drive up to Holyhead as want to do some tourist stuff in North Wales for a few days beforehand. Then Thursday - Sunday in Dublin for rugby on Friday night.

Ferry as a foot passenger to make it a booze cruise to Dublin ahead of the rugby. Petrol to Holyhead, Wales hotels and the ferry ticket will cost around the same as flying from Bristol, and should be more fun and mean travelling at more civilised times

There seems to be some sort of on board floating business lounge with free booze and snacks like in an airport but they only offer wine, not beer or spirits, presumably to deter people like me and my chum :D :hmm: :oops: So not sure we will do that or not

I am going to angle to do a 1916 uprising themed walking tour on the Friday morning - couldn’t get your link to work spitfire :confused: perhaps visit the Little Museum of Dublin on the Saturday or Sunday morning which I think is close to our accommodation. I expect the Guinness brewery experience will be regarded as compulsory by most of our group. Not sure I’m that arsed but will go with the flow on that one :)

Then a ferry back Sunday PM
For a 1916 tour can recommend Lorcan Collins, he's knowledgeable and affable:

If you can, do a tour of Kilmainham gaol. It was closed after the civil war and abandoned for nearly forty years, trees were growing up through the floor. At the start of 60s a group began a voluntary effort to save the building, relying on the labour of many republican tradesmen etc. For decades the same group also ran the tours of the site with an unusually radical flavour. At some point in the 90s, IIRC, it was handed over to the Office of Public Works.

In addition to its intimate connection with the history of separatism, there is also a very interesting museum which is basically an examination of the social causes behind incarceration in Dublin. Lastly, it's a really iconic space which has been used for many music video and film shoots, very evocative.

For some reason it's become incredibly difficult to get tickets, whenever i look it's booked out, so try and familarise yourself with the release dates and get in early.

Get a LEAP card, you can use it on the LUAS, DART and buses.

For a 1916 tour can recommend Lorcan Collins, he's knowledgeable and affable:

If you can, do a tour of Kilmainham gaol. It was closed after the civil war and abandoned for nearly forty years, trees were growing up through the floor. At the start of 60s a group began a voluntary effort to save the building, relying on the labour of many republican tradesmen etc. For decades the same group also ran the tours of the site with an unusually radical flavour. At some point in the 90s, IIRC, it was handed over to the Office of Public Works.

In addition to its intimate connection with the history of separatism, there is also a very interesting museum which is basically an examination of the social causes behind incarceration in Dublin. Lastly, it's a really iconic space which has been used for many music video and film shoots, very evocative.

For some reason it's become incredibly difficult to get tickets, whenever i look it's booked out, so try and familarise yourself with the release dates and get in early.

Ok, I see Spitfire had already recommended Kilmainham further upthread, sorry for the redundancy.

I did a tour of Kilmainham in the 90s and I was surprised by how political/radical it was. Was definitely the best thing I did in Dublin.

unpopular opinion? i found the singing of the tour guides of the Little Museum of Dublin insufferable.

Last edited:
they were singing in 2016. i don't know if they were singing in 2023, as i didn't go in, assuming they were singing.
That's probably around the same time we checked it out. No memory of singing, but do remember Daniel Day Lewis' underpants being on display...

Back
Top Bottom