Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drawing the line (Qatar)

Why does the logo look like it has an underscore in it, as if the one they wanted was already taken :confused:

Fh6XDu5WAAA5YjU

Claims that Qatar bribed 8 Ecuadorian opponents (their first match):

If we were on that Would I Lie to You programme, I'd be holding up the True card.

As much as we might want it to be true, for our own confirmation bias, it looks like bollocks to me. A think tank member on Twitter who can't even be bothered to spell Ecuador right in his hash tag. Five people he's so far got to confirm the bribery. Yeah, right.

It's like a wild guess from someone who's drawn Ecuador in their work sweepstake.

If it is true (it isn't, not in this form) let's not forget South Korea's bribing of the Ecuador ref Moreno against Italy in 2002, followed by the too-questionable decisions against Spain that got the host nation to the semi-final. Bribery isn't new to the WC, and it's not restricted to the rich middle-east.

Last edited:
As much as we might want it to be true, for our own confirmation bias, it looks like bollocks to me. A think tank member on Twitter who can't even be bothered to spell Ecuador right in his hash tag. Five people he's so far got to confirm the bribery. Yeah, right.

It's like a wild guess from someone who's drawn Ecuador in their work sweepstake.

If it is true (it isn't, not in this form) let's not forget South Korea's bribing of the Ecuador ref Moreno against Italy in 2002, followed by the too-questionable decisions against Spain that got the host nation to the semi-final. Bribery isn't new to the WC, and it's not restricted to the rich middle-east.
I suspect you are right. So far, there's nothing beyond this bloke claiming he's talked to 5 sources. It's plausible, given that Qatar bought the whole tournament by bribery, but that's not itself anything like a good reason for taking this at face value.

If this is a lie or some kind of mud slinging (that would be slinging mud onto what is already a steaming pile), the bloke describes himself as:
British-Bahraini social media influencer Amjad Taha is known for promoting normalisation between Arab countries and Israel. Taha positions himself as a journalist and political commentator on Arab affairs
I've no idea how any of that positions him vis a vis Qatar and the ruling elite, who of course will be offended by this story. Quite possible he is being played as a useful idiot as well. Anyway, fuck the lot of 'em.

I would like to point out that I am not actually watching and have no idea why it was ruled out

Back
Top Bottom