Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drain hose on washing machine came out of pipe under sink

blossie33

trailer trash
I've recently had a new washing machine which was installed by the Argos team, all was ok until my last wash when the draining hose shot out of the pipe under the sink and water gushed out onto the floor :facepalm:

I think maybe the hose is a bit shorter than the one on the old machine as he did mention to me to be careful not to knock it.

Any suggestions on how best to secure the pipes together please?

If the waste pipe pushes on to the waste connector you can secure it with a jubilee clip, although you can get a longer replacement pipe, it should be easy to change.

It shouldn't be too hard, but difficult to know without seeing a photo, my first thought is gaffer tape.
Yes I wondered that, I looked on the internet and a few people said that - I went into a local hardware shop to buy some but the guy said it wasn't a good idea as you need some air between the pipe ends .... hmmm?

This kind of thing really annoys me.

Instead of securing it properly or fitting a longer hose, he tells you not to knock it

"I'm only doing half a job on this, love, so be careful" :mad:

I know what you mean, they don't actually do proper plumbing but it might have been helpful to suggest I buy an extension or something.

To be fair on him, he fixed a problem with the screw on the incoming water supply.

That would extend it which might help but I just ordered one of These which come with blocking inlets on both sides if you can't find a single equivalent. It jsut screws onto the top of your existing pipe no tools needed and then you can jubilie clip the hose on for a more secure fitting
Thanks - do you think it would be ok for fixing these together?

20230318_100019.jpg20230318_100048.jpg

Edit. Not sure that would work as there are only two pipes and only one is flexible?

Last edited:
Either use what bees suggested and the u shaped piece of plastic makes a bigger difference than I imagined. Or you'd need the thing I linked to go on top of the solid pipe and then connect your existing hose to that (assuming your solid pipe is 40mm/1.5" which it should be)

Yes I wondered that, I looked on the internet and a few people said that - I went into a local hardware shop to buy some but the guy said it wasn't a good idea as you need some air between the pipe ends .... hmmm?
No this was probably correct. The pipe eventually goes into the sink waste hopefully beyond the Ubend. If you did not have an air ingress you could create a vacuum and depending on whether you have the sink plug in could suck or blow the contents of the ubend into the machine or sink.

That would extend it which might help but I just ordered one of These which come with blocking inlets on both sides if you can't find a single equivalent. It jsut screws onto the top of your existing pipe no tools needed and then you can jubilie clip the hose on for a more secure fitting
I don't think that would work as it looks like it seals the waste you're fitting it on top and will then create a vacuum. The existing waste pipe is such, that air will will allow the waste water to flow and with trap at the bottom to stop smells coming back.

blossie33 extending the flexible hose is probably best but if possible, use as short a length as you can. I had to extend my washing machine waste hose before and was advised about the limits of the machine being able to pump the waste too far.

I agree. You want a longer pipe. washing machine designs have been like this for years and work fine. The grey corrugated hose only needs to go down enough so that it doesn't come out. if a bit of Gaffa will help then that would be enough.

I don't think that would work as it looks like it seals the waste you're fitting it on top and will then create a vacuum. The existing waste pipe is such, that air will will allow the waste water to flow and with trap at the bottom to stop smells coming back.

blossie33 extending the flexible hose is probably best but if possible, use as short a length as you can. I had to extend my washing machine waste hose before and was advised about the limits of the machine being able to pump the waste too far.
The Top of the cap has a hole in. I can guarantee it works fine I'm using it at the moment with both legs in use one for a washing machine and the other with a dishwash

Just wanted to say thank you again kalmatthew I managed to get the fitting on ok, the difficult part was getting the hose back over the cupboard under the sink without pulling the washing machine out - it's too heavy for me to move!
Luckily I have long slim arms and I finally managed to manipulate it over the space!

Not being very confident with my skills I sat on the floor next to the pipe when I did my first wash but all worked fine, fitting held and no water leakage :thumbs:

Glad to hear it went well. I'm happy to do more complex plumbing bits myself but I also set on the floor next to the washing machine after I fitted mine!

Back
Top Bottom