Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doncaster chops down 60 healthy trees in suburban street under the cover of darkness

editor

hiraethified
Middlefield Road in Bessacarr. The top photograph shows the trees in full leaf before 60 were cut down, and below, a recent photograph taken from the same spot shows the road now

Goodbye leafy street.

Strange that Bessacarr is one of only two seats on Doncaster council to have Tory representation.
It’s happening all over. Trees cost money to maintain, so councils shove it to private contractors who then remove the trees all together to save money.

Doing that for the sake of the pavements is outrageous. Street trees have been causing trouble to pavements ever since they were planted. Dealing with that is just a part of managing them. This seems to be happening now because of councils desperate to find budget cuts, but I've still no sympathy for the people who make these decisions.

It’s Borough driven vandalism. I am already on a collision path with our local Labour councillors over their activities in our village. The cudgel taken up primarily by the Co-operative and Green parties. I,of course shall remain distanced but vocal.

They did it here to the most beautiful tree lined road of Victorian red brick houses. Every tree for 3/4 mile was chopped. All because a branch on one tree came down in a storm and killed a pedestrian. It was very sad someone died but the council response was completely wrong

Any who know the area around Middlefield Road are aware the residents are all proud to be tories. The area of Bessacarr has always had a very middle class attitude.
The children even harden their conkers in balsamic vinegar.

If this were a case of chickens coming home to roost and tory voters suffering from tory policies that'd be fine, but the real world never works out like that. And even if that street is 100% tory arseholes, others in the local area will now be breathing lower quality air, and living in an environmentally degraded neighbourhood.

If this were a case of chickens coming home to roost and tory voters suffering from tory policies that'd be fine, but the real world never works out like that. And even if that street is 100% tory arseholes, others in the local area will now be breathing lower quality air, and living in an environmentally degraded neighbourhood.
This is how I think too. It seems too much of a coincidence that this area has been hit first. I expect there to be other more affluent areas that suffer this fate before others.

Comparing those two images ...

trees chopped down but it looks like they my have replanted ? but that ratio is supposed to be 3 : 1 (to allow for some of the new trees carking before long)

that must have been a really noisy operation !

grass verge - possibly re-turfed (difficut to tell)

pavement looks to have been resurfaced.

new distribution pole on the left (freshly "creosoted"), and possibly new street lights ?

I really hate this sort of environmental vandalism.

Back
Top Bottom