Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps we should just bomb them?

Perhaps a better first step in addressing the problem was offered by Justice Souter in the comment I posted above, wherein he laments the discontinuation of education in Civics, which used to be a staple of American education.

One of Trump's main cheerleaders, tweeted this to the faithful:

Ann Coulter: "Without fat girls, there would be no protests" - CBS News

In my book, this qualifies as highly ignorant.

Reminds me of this quite similar hot take

Clinton surrogate on Trump: 'More ugly women in America than attractive women'

A Hillary Clinton surrogate said Donald Trump’s controversial remarks regarding women will hurt him in November because "there are probably more ugly women in America than attractive women."

Ed Rendell, the former governor of Pennsylvania, is the chairman of the Philadelphia 2016 Host Committee for this July’s Democratic National Convention.

Perhaps a better first step in addressing the problem was offered by Justice Souter in the comment I posted above, wherein he laments the discontinuation of education in Civics, which used to be a staple of American education.

People are better educated now than they ever have been.

Possibly in Britain; I don't know that that assumption can be made automatically about education in Canada and the United States.
Educational_Attainment_in_the_United_States_2009.png

Your graph says nothing about the content of the high school programs.

A graduate of Trump University may have completed 'University', but arguably did not receive as comprehensive an education as someone who has graduated from Harvard, Penn State, or MIT.

Reactions: CRI
I wouldn't say that necessarily means people are better educated, just that they are more educated.

I find the idea that the curriculum content is particularly relevant at all pretty insulting and stupid. This is a just another variation on two long standing poisonous memes that people who disagree are stupid and all social ills can be solved through education

I find the idea that the curriculum content is particularly relevant at all pretty insulting and stupid. This is a just another variation on two long standing poisonous memes that people who disagree are stupid and all social ills can be solved through education

One of the markers of racial disparity in the US is the different quality of schools, teachers, and as a result, overall education that many black children receive, as opposed to what is generally available to whites.

The leaders of the Black community in the US appear to be operating under a belief that improved education will be of some benefit to their constituents.

No it isn't, I said nothing about course content

Your graph says nothing about the content of the high school programs.

A graduate of Trump University may have completed 'University', but arguably did not receive as comprehensive an education as someone who has graduated from Harvard, Penn State, or MIT.

So, only someone who has graduated from Harvard, Penn State, or MIT should be allowed to vote, or what?

What are you actually trying to say when arguing that people are too ignorant/not educated enough to elect Clinton?

And why, crucially, did this ignorance not prevent them from electing Obama, not once but twice? Are you suggesting that there's been a sudden growth in ignorance/decline in education in the last four/eight years?

So, only someone who has graduated from Harvard, Penn State, or MIT should be allowed to vote, or what?

What are you actually trying to say when arguing that people are too ignorant/not educated enough to elect Clinton?

And why, crucially, did this ignorance not prevent them from electing Obama, not once but twice? Are you suggesting that there's been a sudden growth in ignorance/decline in education in the last four/eight years?

A thousand times this.

...except I haven't said that all social ills can be corrected through education.

I will, however, say that some social ills can be ameliorated somewhat, through education.

For instance; giving children an education inculcating the common origins of people, the similarities between people, and the positive attributes of different cultures, could have a positive impact on reducing the amount of racism present in society.

Folks, you DO know there are some states where "creationism" is taught in schools, right? Even when I was in high school in a relatively "liberal" (in the American sense) window of the late 70's very early 80's, history, social studies, government, all those classes has a fairly jingoistic undercurrent. I know quite a few folks who are or were teachers in the US, and what is and isn't included in the curriculum, and the constraints placed on individual teachers to keep them "on message" must have a big impact on what people absorb.

And then there's the rise in "home schooling" and increased popularity of fundamentalist Christian "community" schools and bigger academies, that aren't subject to the same regulations as state schools. Seriously, there's been a couple decades now where fundy parents are pulling their kids from state schools to shield their precious children from Godless "liberal" teaching on stuff like science, sex and relationships, social studies, etc.

I'd say what is and isn't in the curriculum IS pretty important.

...except I haven't said that all social ills can be corrected through education.

I will, however, say that some social ills can be ameliorated somewhat, through education.

For instance; giving children an education inculcating the common origins of people, the similarities between people, and the positive attributes of different cultures, could have a positive impact on reducing the amount of racism present in society.

Trump won with college educated white men.

Not sure how that is responsive to my contention that some social ills can be ameliorated somewhat, through education.

No one has disputed that contention, but we are still asking you to justify your original contention that Clinton's failure to win (in contrast to Obama's record of winning twice) is something to do with a failure of education.

No one has disputed that contention, but we are still asking you to justify your original contention that Clinton's failure to win (in contrast to Obama's record of winning twice) is something to do with a failure of education.

Clearly sometime between 2012 and 2016 the good people of Michigan stopped book learnin

Trump won with college educated white men.
And here we go full circle.

It. was. about. race.

Unpalatable as it seems, I'm convinced most people voted FOR Trump, not against Clinton. White Americans showed their loyalty to race above any loyalty to class, gender, etc.

Folks, you DO know there are some states where "creationism" is taught in schools, right? Even when I was in high school in a relatively "liberal" (in the American sense) window of the late 70's very early 80's, history, social studies, government, all those classes has a fairly jingoistic undercurrent. I know quite a few folks who are or were teachers in the US, and what is and isn't included in the curriculum, and the constraints placed on individual teachers to keep them "on message" must have a big impact on what people absorb.

And then there's the rise in "home schooling" and increased popularity of fundamentalist Christian "community" schools and bigger academies, that aren't subject to the same regulations as state schools. Seriously, there's been a couple decades now where fundy parents are pulling their kids from state schools to shield their precious children from Godless "liberal" teaching on stuff like science, sex and relationships, social studies, etc.

I'd say what is and isn't in the curriculum IS pretty important.

Yes, most of us know about all of this, even if we haven't experienced it first hand.

But what it doesn't do is explain why Clinton lost whereas Obama won twice, as you seem to be claiming it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom