Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doing GCSEs - single Mum.

Eva Luna

Hiya I need some advice please.........so I'm a single Mum on benefits.........living in an area that does not provide childcare for my child, who is almost two...............

I want to start a course in Sept, which has accepted me.............pending English and Maths GCSE............I have English but never got the certificate, so that's £35 to start with...........but how can I do Maths GCSE which is almost £400? (The fact that I apparently want to do it in under a year is a seperate matter!)

The childcare we can probably organise..........the one year Maths course we can definitely organise...........but does anyone know how we can pay for it?

Many thanks!

What has the college said? Surely she should gt a concessionary rate if it's not completely free.

Colleges want certificates these days - if AQA (or whoever) provided them to your school when you were 16 and you did not pick them up, they cannot EVER reissue that certificate. The most they do is a search to confirm it was their examining board that you took the course with, and then send a confirmation of this to the college. It costs £35 a time. I wonder how many times a person might have to prove Math or English GCSE?

Colleges do not give concessions for GCSEs - well I say that - they actually do - its course, tuition and materials fees for English students, but reduduced to exam and materials fees for those on a benefit.............which is £395 to you and me.............

I don't see how single Mums can get back to a decent job if they need to go via college..........I think its so unfair that your life can be screwed up from a nipper and there is very little support when you get the chance to turn it round!

I might write to Mr Clegg.....

more seriously, I think you should ask them if they accept any alternatives to GCSE maths to demonstrate the mathematical understanding required for the course.

There are alternatives, such as the level 1 and level 2 certificates in adult numeracy offered by learn direct, which I believe should be acceptable as alternatives to GCSE maths for those who missed out on GCSE maths while at school.

If I'm reading the learn direct site right, then you should be able to simply go to a learn direct centre, and take the test on the computer in the centre, without actually having to do a course first. If you fail the test, then you may well want to do a course, but it's got to be worthwhile checking this out as an alternative, and there are lots of practice papers around to try out before hand, plus online help etc.

If they won't accept any alternative qualification other than a GCSE maths, ask them to put this in writing to you, together with an explanation of why this is the case, then probably head down to your local learn direct / CAB and ask them to chase this up for you as this shouldn't be the case afaik.

There's something called the Parents' Learning Allowance which could pay your fees by the look of it - see here

Tbh if you want to get a Maths GCSE by September then you've prolly got no chance - I think the exams are prolly this week, or at least some of them.

They might let you do them at the same time as doing the course if you ask nicely mind :)

Adult Numeracy is good and might be available more or less on demand; there's also functional skills. Both would need to be at Level 2 to be a C+ grade.

The Learn Direct Centers are what we need - thanks so much for that advice. Sometimes a small thing like this can really make a person smile and feel like there is a way after all.

Whats the point of the course you want to do? What do you want to do after? To be honest you shouldnt have to pay for any course! Maybe consider doing an access course they start u off at gcse level building to a level and it is accepted by any uni. And its free!

The Learn Direct Centers are what we need - thanks so much for that advice. Sometimes a small thing like this can really make a person smile and feel like there is a way after all.
oh, that's good, glad to be able to help, can I mark that down as my good deed for that day/week?:hmm:

speak with your local jobcentres lone parent advisor. You may be able to get all your fees, books and childcare paid for and a bonus for studying.
I did when I was doing a college course :)

Thanks lilmisshissyfit, I'll have to do that.
The learn direct centres aren't that good btw. You have to pay fifty quid to walk in and sit the test. If you walk in, test and need classes, that's free. But to walk in, test and get the cert they charge you. And many of them are closing now since the budget cuts. :(
But we'll sort something.
Its all about childcare now. Wish me luck!

So I am reading this right? You can walk into a learn direct centre, take a test to see whether you come up to GCSE level at maths and english and if you pass you pay £50 per test to get a certificate which states you are GCSE level without having to do any course at all?

Back
Top Bottom