Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unobtainable proof of GCSEs - options?

I need to do this too to get out of doing Functional Skills in English alongside an apprenticeship* :oops:

I think my exam board was Oxford/Cambridge so I’ll fill out the application here Replacement certificates - OCR and see how I get on.

* there probably should be a comma in this sentence, but I’m not sure :) This firmly demonstrates that I probably should do the the FS but I don’t want to if I don’t have to :thumbs:

I need to do this too to get out of doing Functional Skills in English alongside an apprenticeship* :oops:

I think my exam board was Oxford/Cambridge so I’ll fill out the application here Replacement certificates - OCR and see how I get on.

* there probably should be a comma in this sentence, but I’m not sure :) This firmly demonstrates that I probably should do the the FS but I don’t want to if I don’t have to :thumbs:
If your exam board was Oxford you need about nine commas in that sentence

#niche

Apparently her mate who is already in the service wasn't asked for proof, and a colleague of her mate was allowed to use his navy service as proof (because you need certain qualifications for that), so I think she might have just got unlucky and hit a bit of a jobsworth (not meant too pejoratively, I can be a bit of a stickler for rules too, but generally try to be a bit more helpful than this person seems to be being...).

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted fairly smoothly and she can get on with saving lives (which, it's worth pointing out, she's already done as a first responder).

Apparently her mate who is already in the service wasn't asked for proof, and a colleague of her mate was allowed to use his navy service as proof (because you need certain qualifications for that), so I think she might have just got unlucky and hit a bit of a jobsworth (not meant too pejoratively, I can be a bit of a stickler for rules too, but generally try to be a bit more helpful than this person seems to be being...).

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted fairly smoothly and she can get on with saving lives (which, it's worth pointing out, she's already done as a first responder).
This can happen unfortunately. When I did my PGCE last year there were several people who were accepted despite not having GCSE or equivalent in Maths and/or English; this year a different course leader is requiring them before acceptance.

This can happen unfortunately. When I did my PGCE last year there were several people who were accepted despite not having GCSE or equivalent in Maths and/or English; this year a different course leader is requiring them before acceptance.
They didn’t have the certificate, or they don’t have a C in those subjects?

Because the latter is quite a serious breach of teaching standards.

Never got any certificates, just a piece of paper through the post the size of a pay-slip listing the sum of my achievements over the past 12 years. Binned it the same day.

I ran into this when I tried to go down the route of doing a PGCE a few years ago. Fortunately for me my school was able to provide me with a letter detailing full GCSEs and A-Levels. Hope your friend finds a way out of this situation, Camomile.

My friend needs to do her English and Maths GCSEs this year in order to get her teacher training place. She graduated this year with her degree in education but she still need that magic C/4 in those subjects.

I was told by one of my lecturers that if you haven't got science, just sit a biology GCSE as most people tend to do ok in that.

Because teachers are supposed to have maths and English GCSE at C or above or the equivalent in Scottish/international qualifications (and a science GCSE if they want to teach primary, though I'm not sure that applies to older students).

https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/t...d/teacher-training-entry-requirements-england

It is quite surprising if your uni let people take the course without the minimum qualifications.
Ah, it's a teaching in the lifelong learning sector PGCE

One thing I've learnt from this thread is that after a dozen or so years have passed I and anybody else can probably safely claim to have got 10 A* and get away with it
Be careful you don't trip yourself up - weren't starred grades invented at some point to accommodate gradual uplift in grades, so if you left school before then you could get rumbled? I don't remember starred grades at GCSE when I did them, but my memory could be wrong.

I don't think I've ever been asked for exam certificates - just listed what I got on application forms. I've lost either GCSE or A level certificates anyway.

Be careful you don't trip yourself up - weren't starred grades invented at some point to accommodate gradual uplift in grades, so if you left school before then you could get rumbled? I don't remember starred grades at GCSE when I did them, but my memory could be wrong.

I don't think I've ever been asked for exam certificates - just listed what I got on application forms. I've lost either GCSE or A level certificates anyway.
Ah they had just brought in stars when I did mine I think. Tbh I don't say anything about gsces on my CV and can't remember last time anybody asked me, would struggle to remember what I actually got. Know I only failed one (art - D), did half a gcse in RE cos I was in thick set but fuck knows what grades for the ones I passed

I never did a levels though so might start making them up

Know I only failed one (art - D)
Better than me - think I sat either 9 or 11, and failed a good number. Got C + in maths, english, english lit, physics, chemistry, geography - but think I failed CDT (U - because I couldn't be arsed to do the boring woodwork); French; and German (appropriately my grade was G). :oops:

I have a vague feeling I sat 11 but can't remember the other two.

Ah they had just brought in stars when I did mine I think. Tbh I don't say anything about gsces on my CV and can't remember last time anybody asked me, would struggle to remember what I actually got. Know I only failed one (art - D), did half a gcse in RE cos I was in thick set but fuck knows what grades for the ones I passed

I never did a levels though so might start making them up
You’re well younger than I thought if that’s the case, PT, which would explain a few things… ;)

Does it mean that you don’t have QTS?

You don't get QTS but you can get QTLS which is (meant to be) an equivalent via the Society for Education and Training (SET)

also when I did my PGCE they did give you a Maths and English test to prove that you could provide support for level 2 Maths and English. Technically you were meant to be able to do the same for ICT but they were a bit more flexible on that.

I had to send off for replacement O Level certs for my PGCE a decade ago. Although it turned out all that bollocks about a CSE Grade 1 being an O Level 'C' equivalent was rubbish and I had to do a maths GCSE.

Back
Top Bottom