Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unobtainable proof of GCSEs - options?

Be careful you don't trip yourself up - weren't starred grades invented at some point to accommodate gradual uplift in grades, so if you left school before then you could get rumbled? I don't remember starred grades at GCSE when I did them, but my memory could be wrong.

I don't think I've ever been asked for exam certificates - just listed what I got on application forms. I've lost either GCSE or A level certificates anyway.
Starred grades are relatively recent, so anyone who sat GCSEs in the late 80s or the 90s won't have had stars. Claim them at your peril!

Hurrah! Glad to see sense has prevailed. Her degree should be proof but at least she's not prevented from starting. Great news!
Yeah, she's very relieved :)
What I find ridiculous is the idea an exam someone sat 20 years ago is in anyway indicative of their current skill level.
I suppose it's not indicative of your current skill level, but demonstrates you have reached at least a certain level.

Otherwise would we have to take regular tests to see what level we were currently at? Or job interviews would be accompanied by exams?

I guess "have gone to obtain X qualification which is higher" or "have been doing Y job, which plainly requires Z level of skill" should be enough for most.

I got really good maths O levels and did an additional paper having done standard a year early but can't remember a single thing now or grasp any of the basics.

I don't have my certificates anymore, and I can hardly remember which subjects I did at O and A level. I recall doing Engineering Drawing certainly for O and I think also for A, I passed Maths and English Language and Lit at O but don't remember much else, I think I did Physics O ..

I only mention my degree on my CV and I do have the certificate for that and various other things, but no evidence remains from my O and A levels.

I got really good maths O levels and did an additional paper having done standard a year early but can't remember a single thing now or grasp any of the basics.
Same here. I can add up but even now I tend to use a calculator for any sums stuff. Forget quadratic equations and all that nonsense - definitely definitely don't remember them.

First year of GCSEs was 1988, I took mine the year after.
My sister was the last year of O levels, and I remember there was debate at the time of 'dumbing down' exams with the introduction of GCSEs so they allegedly made the first year of them much harder than O levels. Don't know how true that is.

GCSE’s did however go through the annual media speculation that they were getting easier every year as A* grades increased year on year.

I think there was some truth in that. I did GCSEs in ‘98 and they were piss easy compared to some of the O Level papers I saw from years before.

GCSE’s did however go through the annual media speculation that they were getting easier every year as A* grades increased year on year.

I think there was some truth in that. I did GCSEs in ‘98 and they were piss easy compared to some of the O Level papers I saw from years before.
I did biology GCSE in my first year at sixth form - secondary school wouldn't allow people to do three science subjects for some odd reason, so I only did physics and chemistry. The exam was a piece of piss and seemed much easier than the main batch of GCSEs I'd done the year before. Got an A without making any effort.

My sister was the last year of O levels, and I remember there was debate at the time of 'dumbing down' exams with the introduction of GCSEs so they allegedly made the first year of them much harder than O levels. Don't know how true that is.
I vaguely remember my maths teacher complaining that the 1988 maths GCSE paper was so much harder than the O level past papers she'd used to prepare her students with.

But I also recall that a question that I did on 1989 maths GCSE appeared on my brothers' A level maths paper.

But I also recall that a question that I did on 1989 maths GCSE appeared on my brothers' A level maths paper.

Today there is a massive, massive difference between GCSE Maths and GCE A level Maths. The GCSE is an embarrassment and no preparation whatsoever for A level Maths of any kind.

Some subjects dumbed down more than others. Physics and Chemistry A levels have not dumbed down. Biology has. Both at GCSE and GCE and, I'm led to believe, at degree level.

Today there is a massive, massive difference between GCSE Maths and GCE A level Maths. The GCSE is an embarrassment and no preparation whatsoever for A level Maths of any kind.

Some subjects dumbed down more than others. Physics and Chemistry A levels have not dumbed down. Biology has. Both at GCSE and GCE and, I'm led to believe, at degree level.
Yes, when I worked doing tutoring and tutorial support at university there used to be clear differences between the maths I had done at school and what people 10-15 years later were doing. So much the uni ran two different ability streams and remedial classes to get people up to standard.

WJEC (Wales) at least had the decency this year to stop the nonsense of being able to achieve a C on the maths foundation paper.

But before you get too carried away, check this. On the Higher maths paper the marks needed to achieve grade C were....32/160.

20%. Equals a maths O level as I knew it.

WJEC (Wales) at least had the decency this year to stop the nonsense of being able to achieve a C on the maths foundation paper.

But before you get too carried away, check this. On the Higher maths paper the marks needed to achieve grade C were....32/160.

20%. Equals a maths O level as I knew it.

Yeah, I never understood the foundation paper thing. I sat the higher level coursework and got an A, but everyone in my PRU was entered for foundation. So the highest I could possibly get was a C. I literally answered one question and doodled on the exam paper and still got a C because of the higher level coursework I'd done. But if they'd entered me for higher level, I'd have worked for it, and different A level options and therefore degree options would have been open to me.

Even as a teacher the foundation level never made sense to me. Most schools I worked in didn't offer it because it made it harder to get a C.

I did foundation level as a mature student 4 years ago. I only needed a C and although I needed to score more on foundation for a C than I would have with higher, I was consistently scoring really well on the foundation but getting tripped up on the higher so it wasn’t worth the risk for me.

Seems that for chemistry all you need do for a pass is turn up, remember to write your name on the paper, and correctly answer a couple of questions (which are multiple choice), and that’s it, you’ve a C (sorry, a 4). Still, I’m glad they’re teaching separate sciences again, none of this ‘double-award’ nonsense.

Seems that for chemistry all you need do for a pass is turn up, remember to write your name on the paper, and correctly answer a couple of questions (which are multiple choice), and that’s it, you’ve a C (sorry, a 4). Still, I’m glad they’re teaching separate sciences again, none of this ‘double-award’ nonsense.
Sorry but that’s bullshit. Have you been reading the Mail or something?

Fyi: last summer’s chemistry paper here. Plus markscheme. Edexcel Chemistry Past Papers - Revision Science

This year’s will have been similar.

Honestly, regurgitating this tabloid bollocks without checking the facts at all (funding this took about thirty seconds) is indefensible and massively rude to education professionals and kids alike.

Oh and the double award does still exist. It means students get a grounding in all three subjects even if they don’t want to dedicate three subjects on their timetable.

Back
Top Bottom