Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

do you have any proof that salt and vinegar used to be blue?

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
it's a well known fact that in the 80s salt and vinegar crisps used to come in blue packets but at some point they changed to come in green packets. walkers deny this. but we all know. if you google search, you can see that everyone knew this. but still it gets denied. so we want evidence dammit/ help.

Weren't they Smiths or Golden Wonder though?

Think it was Smiths. The plain ones with the blue sachet, yeah?? White packet with red piping iirc.

Walkers have always been wrong uns with their colours, so they're not lying. I thought you were on about the salt packets!!

Everyone knows S&V = blue and C&O = green, because the science adds up. Salt comes from the sea and the sea is blue, onions are vegetables and vegetables are green. Walkers and their wilfully idiosyncratic heresy should be ignored. Or, burn their factories to the ground and salt the ashes.

Think it was Smiths. The plain ones with the blue sachet, yeah?? White packet with red piping iirc.

Walkers have always been wrong uns with their colours, so they're not lying. I thought you were on about the salt packets!!

Nah, that's salt n shake. They're different again.

I think Golden Wonder had it the right way round.

Golden Wonder were blue and dominant in the market. Walkers became dominant in the market and theirs was and is green. Which is wrong, but I guess I'm used to it now.

But everyone knows cheese and onion should be green and salt and vinegar should be blue.

At least they kept Prawn Cocktail pink. Even they realised it would be a step to far. Rioting in the streets.

Although the crisp industry definition of what a prawn cocktail actually tastes like has always been interesing.

300_174184.jpg

560225.gif

380142498_f30e25671f.jpg

svpringlessm.jpg

Chips-salt-vinegar_lrg.jpg

The fact that everyone else, including Tayto, XL, Lay's and Seabrooks still use turquoisey blue for s'n'v crisps and snacks, as do Chip Sticks, Ringos and Snack-a-jacks. Walkers are just wrong, and should be killed in the face.

oops - beaten to it!

I was under impression that Lays was walkers under a different name. In which case our continental cousins obvioulsly took a stand for blue.

Btw Lays in Russia do cream of mushroom flavour crisps which are fucking gorgeous.

I'm not putting up with this corporate rewriting of history. Just because it happened before a million blogs would have posted pictures, doesn't mean that I don't remember salt and vinegar being blue, and complaining about it when they changed, and I am not having my memory questioned by fucking Walkers.

Remember - Cadburys said that Creme Eggs didn't get smaller every year, too.

Does anyone remember those works of crisplike genius that were called 'Fish'N'Chips' and came in a bag that was made to resemble newspaper?

For they were, verily (and notwithstanding Roast Beef Monster Munch) the true King Of Crisps.

Lays and Walkers are both owned by Pepsi, hence the similar packaging. Although Lays get the colour right. It comes to something when we're failing at snacks compared to the bloody Yanks.

Anyway, Tayto says blue for S&V, and Tayto is Lord of all Crisps.

Does anyone remember those works of crisplike genius that were called 'Fish'N'Chips' and came in a bag that was made to resemble newspaper?

For they were, verily (and notwithstanding Roast Beef Monster Munch) the true King Of Crisps.

oh god.. they were lush.. we used to get a pack every Sat morning after swimming club.... and a honeycomb if we had enough pocket money!

When I was growing up there were no Walkers - just Golden Wonder and they were blue for S&V and green for C&O.. I know this for an absolute certainty 'cos a) I worked in a sweet shop and b) my mum had a Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisp addiction and I used to buy them by the boxload from the sweet shop for her (and then steal them all when she wasn't looking... :D)

oh god.. they were lush.. we used to get a pack every Sat morning after swimming club.... and a honeycomb if we had enough pocket money!

When I was growing up there were no Walkers - just Golden Wonder and they were blue for S&V and green for C&O.. I know this for an absolute certainty 'cos a) I worked in a sweet shop and b) my mum had a Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisp addiction and I used to buy them by the boxload from the sweet shop for her (and then steal them all when she wasn't looking... :D)

I did a little Google search and it seems that Red Mill now make Fish'N'Chips crisps.

I shall have to go and seek out the King Of Crisps and nibble away at some before letting folk know if they are as good as the originals.

FishNChips are actually biscuits. As are the equally gorgeous ChickenNChips N BurgerNChips.

Shouldn't this be in philosophy? :confused:
I mean, I recall blue being the colour of salt and vinegar, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.
What is true? What is real?

Walkers S&V has never been blue, always been green. Walkers C&O is blue.

Every other crisp maker had S&V in blue, and C&O in green. Where's the fucking confusion?

I was under impression that Lays was walkers under a different name. In which case our continental cousins obvioulsly took a stand for blue.

Lays and Walkers are both owned by Pepsi, hence the similar packaging. Although Lays get the colour right. It comes to something when we're failing at snacks compared to the bloody Yanks.

Lays and Walkers are the same mob, but, and this is the important bit, Lays Salt and Vinegar (when they can be obtained) come in a green packet over here, but blue packets elsewhere in Europe.
:hmm:

There was always more chips than fish - always annoyed me. I eventually spurned them for Scampi and Lemon Nik Naks.

As for colours - I never saw Walkers until I came over to England and all their colours are wrong. In NI Tayto Cheese and Onion are yellow and red which muddies the water a bit further but blue for Salt 'n' Vinegar is consistent across the board with:

Light brown - chicken
dark brown - beef
pink - prawn cocktail
light purple - bacon
dark purple - gammon (well Tudor Crisps were that colour anyway...)

Lays and Walkers are the same mob, but, and this is the important bit, Lays Salt and Vinegar (when they can be obtained) come in a green packet over here, but blue packets elsewhere in Europe.
:hmm:

This may mean a change to blue from green in the future - happened with Twix and Snickers, could happen to crisp packets too.

Is it just me or is not the case that - as well as everyone else's - Walker's Salt and Vinegar used to be blue? And their Cheese & Onion green? And then they flipped them and have tried to brainwash us that they never did? :(

Back
Top Bottom