Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dj mixers, possibly digital!

moody

Member of The Underground.
Hi,

I'm about to buy a pair of 1210s.

I am thinking about what mixer to use. I'm after a decent two channel format to use with traktor/serato

Does anyone use traktor/serato. do you use a digital mixer with soundcard built in, or an analogue mixer with external soundcard?

I'm drawn (atm) to digital examples (such as the djm 450) as I might want to use the effects, My other choice is the tracktor z2.

any thoughts.

I use Serato and the fuckers have just discontinued support for my very loved, immaculate condition, fairly new allen and heath mixer
"discontinuing support" means if i update serato to the latest version it no longer works with the mixer
"no longer works with the mixer" means i can no longer just plug it in directly via a USB cable.**

There is a way around this in that i also have a Rane SL4 soundcard box which means in theory i can use it with any mixer (the sound comes through though missing a few bits of functionality, like when you cut the bass out it shows visually on the colour of the waveform on serato - there might be other functions i cant think of)
Rane boxes are also no longer supported and its more old tech which feels vulnerable.
I bought mine secondhand for cheap because people have moved on because of being discontinued. You need drivers to install the box, should still be available, but...

**I'm pretty livid about this tbh, my serato/A&H combo was working just now and so surely can work again despite any updates to Serato. "Discontinuing support" is an act of vandalism really, they've deliberately removed it as a way to sell new mixers I cant see any other reason. I particularly suspect (this is just my made up story, not based on fact) that Pioneer are trying to complete their dominance and doing deals behind the scenes to stop/reduce compatibility with other brands.

IIRC having looked into this in anger, Serato promise to maintain support for 10 years on a bit of kit. My mixer isn't 10 years old but that was the date of first manufacture

I really love Serato, its a brilliant programme. It shits on Rekordbox IMO, but the industry standard is Rekordbox and Pioneer equipment. I dislike them both. Massively overpriced monopolistic crap. Rekordbox you can't even buy, you have to rent it (though ive got a cracked copy)

Anyhow my advice is decide which software you're going to use (Serato the best IME) and then look at the list of which mixers are supported and try and max out that ten year window.

But also industry standard is Pioneer, and there's a real case to be made to say get (a cracked) copy of Rekordbox and a Pioneer mixer, and then you also have compatibility to use Pioneer CDJS which is what most clubs have, and will be fully familiar with mixers when playing out

Having an external soundcard, like a Rane box, is useful to have for when you come into contact with a mixer that isn't compatible. Literally ran into this problem on Saturday night, the venue had an old A&H analog mixer. Wouldve been screwed without it.
Buying a mixer with an internal soundcard for home is great, but having a soundcard too for those situations is also useful

Hope that all makes sense

I have used traktor but never serato. is there much difference when it comes to using either with turntables just for basic mixing and some fx?

if so, what are they in a nutshell, and is it a better to go with serato over traktor?

*also, if i were to buy a pioneer mixer, it would come with recordbox, is it essentially the same as the above mentioned platforms?

Last edited:
Im not being paranoid, look at the current compatibility list
mainly all pioneer - no more A&H
fucking bastards

Last edited:
I have used traktor but never serato. is there much difference when it comes to using either with turntables just for basic mixing and some fx?

if so, what are they in a nutshell, and is it a better to go with serato over traktor?
someone else will need to answer that
its a long time since ive used traktor and that was with a controller, and unless anyone has used both side by side of the latest editions then their opinion is going to be "i like the one i use"

im sure there'll be an article online looking at pros and cons
here we go
Concludes
"I’ve got a soft spot for Traktor as it was the first professional software I used. But since then I’ve explored all the various options out there. And in the Traktor Vs Serato battle, Serato DJ Pro takes home the top spot."

I'm guessing it's better to buy a decent mixer without all the soundcard/software built in, as if the mixer is decent, the software /soundcard can always be upgraded/updated far more simply than if it was all inclusive?

I'm guessing it's better to buy a decent mixer without all the soundcard/software built in, as if the mixer is decent, the software /soundcard can always be upgraded/updated far more simply than if it was all inclusive?
thats good logic. then again doesnt hurt to have both, have the internal soundcard, and have the external one for when that is necessary. kind of depends if you plan on playing out ever, in which case external soundcard is a very good thing to own.

im not even sure what external soundcards are available these days - if you are looking into it please post back on the thread what those options are

thats good logic. then again doesnt hurt to have both, have the internal soundcard, and have the external one for when that is necessary. kind of depends if you plan on playing out ever, in which case external soundcard is a very good thing to own.

im not even sure what external soundcards are available these days - if you are looking into it please post back on the thread what those options are
if I were to go for traktor, I'd buy the complete set-up which comes with an external sc.

if I were to go for traktor, I'd buy the complete set-up which comes with an external sc.
In which case sounds like you are free to choose any mixer in the world.... Some effects, (delay filter reverb) adds a lot of fun for sure. Eqs that are also kills are another must once you get used to them ime.

I use traktor pro 3 on with my Kontrol S4 mk3 (digital decks), its pretty good and the beat source integration is great.

I'm going to try and hook it up to my mates 1200's later this week, will let you know of any issues.

I use traktor pro 3 on with my Kontrol S4 mk3 (digital decks), its pretty good and the beat source integration is great.

I'm going to try and hook it up to my mates 1200's later this week, will let you know of any issues.
nice, but more of a controller than a mixer

Back
Top Bottom