Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Except that in Rogue One, I cared.

Even though I knew they were all going to die, I still cared.

Nothing, at all, about the Creator made me give one fuck about a single character.

And it had nothing at all to say about artificial life and the ways in which it might make you re-evaluate what being alive means, that hasn't already been done and much, much better.

Fucking Robocop had more depth.

I tried The Creator right before our sub ended, and backed out of it when it failed to grab me.
(Rogue One is a great film and will probably be the first thing I (re)watch when we take another month of Disney+ later in the year - we tend to sub for a month here and there as and when we can afford it and when there's something new we want to watch).

I tried The Creator right before our sub ended, and backed out of it when it failed to grab me.
(Rogue One is a great film and will probably be the first thing I (re)watch when we take another month of Disney+ later in the year - we tend to sub for a month here and there as and when we can afford it and when there's something new we want to watch).

Whereas I started a subscription to watch it :D :facepalm:

Well, and S3 of Reservation Dogs, so at least I've got that to look forward to!

atomic did not hate something :eek:
Yet, give it another couple of hours :D

N has a week off for my birthday early April, we can't afford to go out and do a lot so we'll probably sub for another month starting then and try to catch up with some stuff.

atomic did not hate something :eek:
Maybe I just had low expectations.

I did also watch half of the Marvels. . . which I am not really into. I think I have given up on those films now. This isn't any worse than other Marvel films, not as bad as quantum ant man, but I just found myself wishing it would just end so I could get on with something else, like read a book. . . . not what you want from a film.
It's also not a particularly well constructed self contained story. There may be flash backs, but if you have not watched at least two other specific films and two TV shows it's got to be very confusing. . . . I have watched them all, but my brain was still struggling to play catch up.

Maybe I just had low expectations.

I did also watch half of the Marvels. . . which I am not really into. I think I have given up on those films now. This isn't any worse than other Marvel films, not as bad as quantum ant man, but I just found myself wishing it would just end so I could get on with something else, like read a book. . . . not what you want from a film.
It's also not a particularly well constructed self contained story. There may be flash backs, but if you have not watched at least two other specific films and two TV shows it's got to be very confusing. . . . I have watched them all, but my brain was still struggling to play catch up.
Most of them are like that tbf

it was a terrible movie :)
It's about as terrible as most of the others. I didn't manage to finish the wakanda ones.

The cat cgi was terrible. Actually a lot of the cgi was ropey. Just captain marvel landing in cgi and morphing into real Brie Larson was bad. . . . Then Kelsey Grammar.

Really confusing film, but still not the worst marvel film out there. It has made me realise though that I couldn't give a shit about any more marvel films going forward. I liked Gunns bits, and Waititi.

when did you ever post anything positive about the marvel franchise

pointing to it lowest epoch and pointing out i don't give a shit about anymore marvel movies
is just you being in character

you were bleating the same line before the second avengers movie

when did you ever post anything positive about the marvel franchise
I have previously posted that I enjoyed all the guardians of the galaxy films.
I liked thor ragnarovk and even posted that thought love and thunder was OK (I know many didn't). I praised ant man and the spiderman films and especially praised the cartoon film.
I raved about how the wandavision tv show began (but was less happy beyond the third episode).
pointing to it lowest epoch and pointing out i don't give a shit about anymore marvel movies
is just you being in character
I don't expect you to follow and note everything I write, but don't just make a sweeping statement on the bits you remembered just because you disagreed with me.
you were bleating the same line before the second avengers movie
I agree that all the avengers movies are mostly abdolute shit until that double length one that has some redeeming sections (gotg for instance).

That first iron man film was OK too.

Now I am a fan of superhero stuff, and I'd often rather watch something with a lot of explosions and fight sequences rather than a couple of hours of thoughtful dialogue exploring interpersonal relationships. 💤
Black Panther is clearly among the best of the Marvel movies.
Wakanda Forever is quite frankly a bit shit in comparison.

And this is coming from someone who actually enjoys MCU movies.

Reactions: Chz
Got halfway through The Creator. It was extremely dry. Every plot beat was visible a mile off, John David Washington out of Tenet once again gets a cardboard cutout of a role, but worst of all the premise of the thing was just too fucking stupid for words. The Americans are managing to wage war on an entire continent, despite a massive self-inflicted technological disadvantage, because they've got one single scary flying doodad which somehow nobody can shoot down? Did a teenager write this? Are there no story editors any more?

There was a scene where they were travelling from somewhere to somewhere else and it was just a random montage of ooh look at this vaguely Asian-looking futuristic place, now there's this vaguely Asian-looking futuristic place, here's another place now look. Have they gone five miles or five thousand? Did it take an hour or a week? How do they feel about this journey, or the things that have happened to them? We'll never know. Or care, for that matter.

The Creator just cut from scene to scene without much connecting the dots. Looks great. The first 10 minutes was the best bit, then it got kinda boring.

Except that in Rogue One, I cared.

Even though I knew they were all going to die, I still cared.

Nothing, at all, about the Creator made me give one fuck about a single character.

And it had nothing at all to say about artificial life and the ways in which it might make you re-evaluate what being alive means, that hasn't already been done and much, much better.

Fucking Robocop had more depth.
Watched it last night & agree with all of that ^

I was quite annoyed by the end.

Just put this on the thread for the film:

Opening, scene-setting credits are OK but then the actual world building was lame and didn't really make sense. The first part jumped about with no internal logic. The second part just got more and more ludicrous. There were loads of interesting avenues to explore (making dead people relive their last few seconds; robots having real people's faces; robots living alongside humans etc etc) but all ignored in favour of some kind of hoo-ha US marines type bollocks. No real sense of jeopardy/peril; the baddies were deeply unconvincing; the ending was crapola. Even the little kid wasn't developed properly so it was impossible to give a fuck. Action scenes thrown in with no consequences; wtf was going on at the border crossing? They just drove off ffs.

The more I think about it, the more laughable it all is. I love a sci-fi dystopia film but this is shite.

Watched it last night & agree with all of that ^

I was quite annoyed by the end.

Just put this on the thread for the film:

Opening, scene-setting credits are OK but then the actual world building was lame and didn't really make sense. The first part jumped about with no internal logic. The second part just got more and more ludicrous. There were loads of interesting avenues to explore (making dead people relive their last few seconds; robots having real people's faces; robots living alongside humans etc etc) but all ignored in favour of some kind of hoo-ha US marines type bollocks. No real sense of jeopardy/peril; the baddies were deeply unconvincing; the ending was crapola. Even the little kid wasn't developed properly so it was impossible to give a fuck. Action scenes thrown in with no consequences; wtf was going on at the border crossing? They just drove off ffs.

The more I think about it, the more laughable it all is. I love a sci-fi dystopia film but this is shite.

When it hit the cinemas I was working away in Manchester and the reviews for it were full of nothing but praise; the suggestion being that this was going to be a classic and a real cinema experience. On that basis I nearly went to see it, I chose to see African Headcharge that night instead; which was a much better choice! I don't think the big screen experience would have improved the story.

That 4th episode of Shogun was very good.

My Disney subs end before the show ends....so I'm going to have to adopt an alternative means of viewing come the end of the month.

I've ditched Disney, Prime & Now and kept Netflix.

I saw some of that Shogun, but couldn’t hack Cosmo Jarvis’ accent. I couldn’t figure out who he reminded me of, until suddenly the penny dropped - he’s channelling Succulent Chinese Meal Guy!

Back
Top Bottom