Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

I'm trying to watch Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny for the 4th time and have completely wandered off from it.
I sometimes do this when watching stuff that is good, but in this case I think it is because this is shit.

I'm trying to watch Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny for the 4th time and have completely wandered off from it.
I sometimes do this when watching stuff that is good, but in this case I think it is because this is shit.

It's my number 3 out of the five. The biggest flaw (imo) is that the de-ageing doesn't totally work. It's an improvement on The Irishman, but his voice gives his real age away.

Otherwise a satisfying close to the saga.

It's my number 3 out of the five. The biggest flaw (imo) is that the de-ageing doesn't totally work. It's an improvement on The Irishman, but his voice gives his real age away.

Otherwise a satisfying close to the saga.

I'm assuming Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom are below it in your list - if so, I won't argue with that order even though I'm struggling to concentrate on this. Raiders and Last Crusade were both excellent.

I'm assuming Crystal Skull and Temple of Doom are below it in your list - if so, I won't argue with that order even though I'm struggling to concentrate on this. Raiders and Last Crusade were both excellent.
They certainly were. Apart from the background projection in TLC, which annoyed me for some reason at the time.

Kingdom could have been better, but oh the CGI sheen, the cute critters, Shia Le B... loved the aliens, though.

Doom is just objectionable, possibly racist and Kate Capshaw's character was bad.
I know it's now considered by some to be the darkest and the best, but it's no Empire Strikes Back. Top marks for Club Obi Wan, begrudgingly.

What you mean, of course, is that they don't qualify for you.

And it's Dial of Destiny. How difficult is that to Google?
I know the name of the movie, I just can’t be bothered to type it all as it doesn’t deserve the effort.
and yes of course they are ranked according to my preference, there’s no other way to do it.

I know the name of the movie, I just can’t be bothered to type it all as it doesn’t deserve the effort.
and yes of course they are ranked according to my preference, there’s no other way to do it.
Could have put "dial" or even "destiny" as they are both shorter than "thingamajig"...

Choosing your words deliberately is somewhat different to couldn't be bothered to type it all.

Could have sworn you've previously berated posters for not using Google or having the decency to acknowledge actors names and film titles.
Yes it does. Lost your sense of humour? 🧐

WHY though is Disney + so fucking crap in terms of its layout, search feature, info available about shows on the home page (ie. none until you click on it so you're in a constant dance of back and forth to read a blurb to find out whether something sounds like you'd want to watch it).

And special mention to their "all or nothing" rewind. Miss a scene or a line of dialogue requiring a 3 minute rewind, and it is way too easy to find yourself back at the beginning of the film.

It's worse than some of the free streaming services in some ways.

Culprits is very good for four episodes, then various writers and a different director take the helm for 5. 6 & 7 and it all goes downhill fast. The main writer and director returns for the finale, but it's all gone to pot by then and there's no way to save it. I don't why the decision was made for the show runner to step back for three episodes, but the change was so sudden I actually bothered to look up and see if different writers/directors were suddenly in charge; and they were. Character and plot continuity end up all over the place; there's some really bad writing, and one scene supposed to be in London has a big fucking sign saying MANCHESTER in it; lazy!

I really enjoyed it at the start, but ended up hating every character. They even try to shoe in some moral reasoning for what boils down to a load of cunty behaviour by a bunch of greedy, selfish pricks; it doesn't work at all.

A waste of some very talented actors.

Eddie Izzard is a bit rubbish in it. Niamh Algar is ace, as always.
I didn't even get past the first episode. Phew.

I thought Dial was OK / passable when I watched it, but later that night after I gave it some thought it came apart and fell to peices like a house of cards. Better than Skull overall, but some Steven Spielberg's flair for solid storytelling might have plugged a few holes and tightened it up.

I didn't even get past the first episode. Phew.
Culprits is actually a very enjoyable crime thriller series. As others here have mentioned, some episodes are directed by different people and the middle ones in particular feel like a dip in quality. But overall it is a perfectly competent heist show.

Culprits is actually a very enjoyable crime thriller series. As others here have mentioned, some episodes are directed by different people and the middle ones in particular feel like a dip in quality. But overall it is a perfectly competent heist show.
Well I thought the first episode began heading in the right direction, but just became a generic cheesy affair that I was not interested in pursuing any further. If this was the best the series had to offer then I made the correct decision.

The main characters are different after the first four episodes. The writing and directing goes off piste to the point where it is obviously not by the same hand, and not following a clear and agreed storyline.

I suspect it was only ever half a good story, finished poorly and rushed. Some of the sets and locations screamed budget cuts (or cheap reshoots).

Whoever comissioned it is being overpaid. Whoever watched the final edit and said yes, this is good, has no idea about great telly.

Last edited:
I see. I’d got the impression it had a bit more going for it than ‘wow this is a bit like what it’s like’ but not really seeing it yet. I could just watch a documentary.

I see. I’d got the impression it had a bit more going for it than ‘wow this is a bit like what it’s like’ but not really seeing it yet. I could just watch a documentary.
That’s not what’s it about. It’s got so much heart. It’s about FAMILIES and tough love

I’m probably enjoying it more than I’m suggesting but the hype had me both expecting more and probably in a small way not wanting to like it. Will stick it out and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom