Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

Does that make it 6 points clear with both teams with 2 matches to play, and we have a +13 goal difference?

A point on the 28th to be mathematically certain?

Three points clear and +17 goal difference. Beat Crawley and that’s it basically.
I'm still wary of the fact Crawley recently lost 15-0 at home to Fulham, and they host Dartford the week after our own visit. (Obviously we have the opportunity to boost our own goal difference against a team with only 1 point all season. Their last two matches were both lost 4-1.) Dartford host Dorking Wanderers the same day we visit Crawley, in their other remaining game.

Three points clear and +17 goal difference. Beat Crawley and that’s it basically.
You'd probably want a 5+ goal win for it to feel truly settled.

Dartford still have Crawley to play, and they did ship 15 against Fulham. While a ludicrously large winning margin for them is unlikely, and Dartford don't seem to have the same kind of firepower Fulham have, it's not completely impossible.

Dartford still have Crawley to play, and they did ship 15 against Fulham. While a ludicrously large winning margin for them is unlikely, and Dartford don't seem to have the same kind of firepower Fulham have, it's not completely impossible.
You’d better hope that Summer Roberts isn’t reading you saying you think Dartford could score 15 more than her.

I've just had another look at that outlandish Crawley v Fulham result. Crawley only named one substitute and 9 of the goals were scored in the final 20 minutes. Their next biggest defeat was 6-0 at Champion Hill and no one else has beaten them by more than 4 goals. I don't expect Dartford to match our goal difference, I just don't like tempting fate.

I've just had another look at that outlandish Crawley v Fulham result. Crawley only named one substitute and 9 of the goals were scored in the final 20 minutes. Their next biggest defeat was 6-0 at Champion Hill and no one else has beaten them by more than 4 goals. I don't expect Dartford to match our goal difference, I just don't like tempting fate.
I think that day (the 6-0) they only brought one sub as well…?

Later kick-off is great, but it's no longer an Oyster card away day, which is a pain. Ground looks very close to Three Bridges station, though.

It may be worth looking out for the very cheap Thameslink weekend-only returns from stations on the main Thameslink route (Blackfriars, London Bridge or East Croydon, basically) to save a few quid.

Later kick-off is great, but it's no longer an Oyster card away day, which is a pain. Ground looks very close to Three Bridges station, though.

It may be worth looking out for the very cheap Thameslink weekend-only returns from stations on the main Thameslink route (Blackfriars, London Bridge or East Croydon, basically) to save a few quid.
It's £8.25 return from Blackfriars or London Bridge to Three Bridges with a railcard discount, direct half hourly Thameslink service via East Croydon. There's also a half hourly Southern Trains service from Victoria via Clapham Junction and East Croydon. The ground is much closer to the station than Horley and the train is faster, even though it's further away. I'd forgotten Horley is within the Oystercard zone, but it's a "special fares apply" station so there wouldn't have been much of a saving on the full off peak day return price, and you certainly wouldn't have got there and back for £8.25 on an Oystercard.

One side of the ground is almost right next to the station but you need to go anticlockwise around the northern end of the ground to find the way in.

For anyone coming down, since it's a later kick-off we'll be having drinks in the Snooty Fox (apparently the least worst pub nearby) from 1pm.

Attachments

• 20240425_072239.jpg
    20240425_072239.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 11
For anyone coming down, since it's a later kick-off we'll be having drinks in the Snooty Fox (apparently the least worst pub nearby) from 1pm.
Least worst by virtue of being the pub closest to the station and not a Harvester - everything else is in Crawley proper.

Least worst by virtue of being the pub closest to the station and not a Harvester - everything else is in Crawley proper.
There are 2 others on the way to the ground on Three Bridges Road, The Moonraker and The Plough, the latter being more or less directly opposite the entrance to the ground. I vaguely recall going in The Plough on my first visit for a pre-season game some time during the 1990s. It was just a bog standard locals pub from memory, although you never know how places will have changed these days. These pubs might be worth a look post-match but the Snooty Fox is certainly the logical pre-match meeting place, as it's directly opposite the station and you can't miss it. A large open plan modern building that I think replaced an earlier pub as part of a 1990s redevelopment.

We're looking for a friendly at Champion Hill on Sunday 12th May, match practice ahead of the final league game at Saltdean the following week.

Apparently the game's been moved back to Horley. Anyone got any idea what's happening?
No explanation given by our Crawley. Presumably there's a reason, other than just being bloody awkward, in which case I don't know why they can't just say. The kick-off remains at the later time of 3.15pm.

My only previous visit to Horley was for a men's pre-season game in 2005, although we also visited for an early round FA Cup qualifying tie in 2011. It's a good 1 mile walk from Horley Station, possibly a bit further, through residential streets.

We're looking for a friendly at Champion Hill on Sunday 12th May, match practice ahead of the final league game at Saltdean the following week.

Seems a strange day to be looking to arrange a friendly as The Adobe Women’s FA Cup Final is that day, kicking off at 2:30 pm. Wouldn’t surprise me if many players had tickets to the game and were unavailable to play.

Seems a strange day to be looking to arrange a friendly as The Adobe Women’s FA Cup Final is that day, kicking off at 2:30 pm. Wouldn’t surprise me if many players had tickets to the game and were unavailable to play.
Management know how many players are available.

With it being the final weekend before Saltdean, even if the friendly would be half reserves, it’s still valuable minutes for those that would be playing the next weekend.

Last edited:
Management know how many players are available.

With it being the final weekend before Saltdean, even if the friendly would be half reserves, it’s still valuable minutes for those that would be playing the next weekend.
Our players, yes, but opposition, no. And players are still going to want to watch the game so presumably this would mean an earlier start!

I don't want to go out on a limb, but I'd imagine most of our players are more motivated by the prospect of playing in a side winning promotion than a day out at Wembley tbh.

Back
Top Bottom