Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

An absolute battering from the Hamlet, who won 7-0 without needing to get out of second gear, and without the team's biggest goal threat.

Good to see another 500+ crowd too - it's an impressive number considering it wasn't a particularly glamorous fixture, the men were home yesterday, and the weather forecast was rubbish.

Fingers crossed the Aylesford player who was having issues after FT makes a swift recovery.

Last edited:
Defeat for Clapton CFC today means that only Brentford can overtake Sport London e Benfica at the top of Division One North. 2-0 down at the break SLeB scored 3 times in 6 minutes to turn the game on its head. Brentford won 6-1 against Ashmount Leigh in front of nearly 5000 at the GTech

I don't have the words to describe the enormity of today. If we win the rest of our games, and maintain our superior goal difference, we'll win the league. It's as simple as that.

After months and months of waiting for Dartford to make a mistake... today it came.

It's on. Nothing is guaranteed. But it's very much on.

Next game is Fulham at home a week on Wednesday. Ring your mates, text the lapsed fans, drag some casuals out of the pub. We need you.

Every game is cup final from now on.

So there's a friendly tomorrow night at the new Cray Wanderers ground on the Sidcup by-pass...

Not sure I'll make it but I'm tempted to have a look. It's a pain to get to unless you're driving or getting a cab.

The nearest station is New Eltham, then across the traffic lights and down Footscray Road, turn right into Thaxted Road, walk to the end, over the footbridge - your last and only chance to cross the road - and then walk along the A20 past (ahem) Mr Mulligan's Dino Golf Course. Presumably the floodlights will make it obvious!

Pubs - your best bet is the Rusty Bucket in Eltham, then a 321 bus will take you to Thaxted Road - walk to the end, over the footbridge, etc.

(Closer to the ground the only one that's a straightforward walk would be The Beehive, near New Eltham station but in the wrong direction - standard suburban lager boozer by all accounts.)

So there's a friendly tomorrow night at the new Cray Wanderers ground on the Sidcup by-pass...

Not sure I'll make it but I'm tempted to have a look. It's a pain to get to unless you're driving or getting a cab.

The nearest station is New Eltham, then across the traffic lights and down Footscray Road, turn right into Thaxted Road, walk to the end, over the footbridge - your last and only chance to cross the road - and then walk along the A20 past (ahem) Mr Mulligan's Dino Golf Course. Presumably the floodlights will make it obvious!

Pubs - your best bet is the Rusty Bucket in Eltham, then a 321 bus will take you to Thaxted Road - walk to the end, over the footbridge, etc.

(Closer to the ground the only one that's a straightforward walk would be The Beehive, near New Eltham station but in the wrong direction - standard suburban lager boozer by all accounts.)

I believe the ground is basically just a railed off 3G pitch with floodlights and a clubhouse at present. Photographs I saw of an earlier match suggest there's no stand or terracing yet. I'm guessing it will eventually look something like Horsham.

I used to play at the private sports ground next door, which had 6 football pitches and was mainly used by banks teams on Saturdays. I'm horrified to see this is now the site of Mr Mulligan's Dino golf course! I used to get the 21 bus from Lewisham and in those days you could get across the bypass between breaks in the traffic and climb over the railings on the central reservation, but I wouldn't do that 40 years later in the dark!

I reckon it should take around 15 minutes walking from New Eltham Station. The Beehive doesn't have a pin on my CAMRA beer map app, so no cask beer. I've never been there but it used to be a Courage pub when I was a barman at another Courage house in the same district. The guvnor was a bloke called Terry Freak, who was notorious for telling offensive jokes at managers meetings. We nicknamed the pub The Freakhive. (This was at least 30 years ago, he'll be long gone by now.)

I believe the ground is basically just a railed off 3G pitch with floodlights and a clubhouse at present. Photographs I saw of an earlier match suggest there's no stand or terracing yet. I'm guessing it will eventually look something like Horsham.

I used to play at the private sports ground next door, which had 6 football pitches and was mainly used by banks teams on Saturdays. I'm horrified to see this is now the site of Mr Mulligan's Dino golf course! I used to get the 21 bus from Lewisham and in those days you could get across the bypass between breaks in the traffic and climb over the railings on the central reservation, but I wouldn't do that 40 years later in the dark!

I reckon it should take around 15 minutes walking from New Eltham Station. The Beehive doesn't have a pin on my CAMRA beer map app, so no cask beer. I've never been there but it used to be a Courage pub when I was a barman at another Courage house in the same district. The guvnor was a bloke called Terry Freak, who was notorious for telling offensive jokes at managers meetings. We nicknamed the pub The Freakhive. (This was at least 30 years ago, he'll be long gone by now.)

Small world - I think he must have been the Terry Freak who ran the Dacre Arms, a little old-school pub tucked away in the side streets between Lee and Blackheath. Sadly he died a few years ago.

The degree to which the women's team has kicked on this season is a joy to behold. Hats off to the club, the team and the fans. Big lessons for the men's team, where we've had six years of mediocrity, give or take.

The degree to which the women's team has kicked on this season is a joy to behold. Hats off to the club, the team and the fans. Big lessons for the men's team, where we've had six years of mediocrity, give or take.
Hakan has actually said that some of the stuff happening with the women's team and the Pepper Army has inspired him in his work with the men's team, and there was a visible change in how the men's team interacted with the fans after he came to the London Bees Women's FA Cup game.

I'm sure there's lots of things the men's and women's teams can learn from each other, and it's great to see that cross-pollination. It's something that everybody benefits from.

That 3 weeks gap between the penultimate and final fixtures isn't ideal. Saltdean seem to have peaked a bit too late to challenge for the title. I noticed they followed up their win against Dartford by beating Ebbsfleet 5-1.
On the upside, there's a very real chance half of them might be on holiday! And given Fulham's performance against us last night, they might well beat Dartford on Sunday, which would mean the title race could be decided by then.

If anyone's not seen it, it's well worth reading this write-up from a Fulham fan. It's enormously complementary of the women's team, the fans and the wider club: Dulwich are what women’s football should be

I was never sure whether that was just a place holder or not. Seems mad that the league may not be decided until that late

On the upside, there's a very real chance half of them might be on holiday! And given Fulham's performance against us last night, they might well beat Dartford on Sunday, which would mean the title race could be decided by then.

If anyone's not seen it, it's well worth reading this write-up from a Fulham fan. It's enormously complementary of the women's team, the fans and the wider club: Dulwich are what women’s football should be
It’s a very nice piece. Although I must have missed the press release when Dulwich became supporter owned.

Thanks! They've also come into real form. Here's hoping we're not relying on the result
Dartford's heavy defeat yesterday (4-0 at Fulham) was useful, as it puts another dent in their relative goal difference. They play at home to Dorking and Ebbsfleet before visiting Crawley in their final game, and they also have the League Cup final against Saltdean, so they'll have completed their fixtures before our trip to Saltdean.

Potentially 2 more wins and DHFC take the league?
Strictly speaking we need 7 points from the last 3 games to be absolutely certain, but we currently have a goal difference advantage of 15, so 6 points would probably be enough. (I still haven't forgotten Phil Baker celebrating Northampton's final day promotion 2 years ago without realising Bristol Rovers had beaten Scunthorpe 7-0 to overtake them on goal difference!)

Back
Top Bottom