Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

The year that Portsmouth won Step 3 (south), which would usually have been automatic promotion, but instead had to play off against Sheffield (north winners) and lost the match. All of this to accommodate Man Utd being parachuted in. Think it had other knock on effects too. Pompey have been Step 3 since. So for some here, then there's a positive for you.
The Step 3 play off is ending after this season, but there had only been one spot for promotion since the Championship/WSL2 was connected to the pyramid. I think the first play off was 2015. Nothing to do with making space for United.

Final game of the season

Right on my doorstep! Home ground of Bridon Ropes and Meridian VP, between Charlton Park and Woolwich Common.

The couple of times I've been to see Bridon they didn't allow drinking pitchside, but there is a bar there.

Since the sad closure of the White Swan, nearest good pubs are the British Oak on Old Dover Road (ace beer garden if it's sunny) and the Green Goddess craft place at Blackheath Standard, both about 15-20 minutes' walk away.

(Engineering works mean there are no trains to Charlton that day, but you can get the 89 or 178 bus from Lewisham to Charlton Park Lane (if you've been to Charlton Lido you'll know the stop) then walk down Charlton Park Lane to the ground. Or you can get a 53 from New Cross/ 486 from North Greenwich to Charlton Park Road and walk through Charlton Park.)

Last edited:
Long time since been there, usually either watching one of the Junior Section sides or Meridian when they picked up a number of ex-Hamlet players - Dean Carpenter and Razor Powell I seem to recall? Whether I can make the game with the engineering works is going to be interesting as I’m doing an interview with Sky Sports before the Vitality Cup final that day though sadly didn’t get tickets this year.

Right on my doorstep! Home ground of Bridon Ropes and Meridian VP, between Charlton Park and Woolwich Common.

The couple of times I've been to see Bridon they didn't allow drinking pitchside, but there is a bar there.

Since the sad closure of the White Swan, nearest good pubs are the British Oak on Old Dover Road (ace beer garden if it's sunny) and the Green Goddess craft place at Blackheath Standard, both about 15-20 minutes' walk away.

(Engineering works mean there are no trains to Charlton that day, but you can get the 89 or 178 bus from Lewisham to Charlton Park Lane (if you've been to Charlton Lido you'll know the stop) then walk down Charlton Park Lane to the ground. Or you can get a 53 from New Cross/ 486 from North Greenwich to Charlton Park Road and walk through Charlton Park.)
Lived 5mins away from the Standard until moving to Dulwich ten years ago. Intrigued that old bank (it was an old bank wasn’t it?) is now a craft bar. Will have to check it out another time. Used to love the Oak too, hope the dartboard is still there.

Lived 5mins away from the Standard until moving to Dulwich ten years ago. Intrigued that old bank (it was an old bank wasn’t it?) is now a craft bar. Will have to check it out another time. Used to love the Oak too, hope the dartboard is still there.
The Green Goddess is the old Barclays on the corner (opposite the actual Royal Standard) - the owners snapped up the lease very quickly.

Yep, the Oak dartboard's still there. That pub's barely changed over the years, thank heavens. Now the sun's out I'm quietly grumbling that the match got moved!

Anyhow, the Den it is. And Shirker's Rest afterwards.

I had assumed that Pompey women were already semi-pro given consistent high finishes at level 3. However, apparently they have been amateur, perhaps expenses, but not mentioned here.

It does demonstrate what's achievable then for DHFC at level five. Even paying "expenses" for away travel could attract players from teams higher up who pay nothing?

Seems bloody strange decision that. Especially given the number of players that came along for trials recently.

Beyond cost cutting the only other reason I can see for this is the lack of a ground as the reserves used outside pitches most of the time. Only a guess but I’m supposing the training pitch would be preserved for the first teams to train on and nothing else?

If that’s the case how about Peckham Town Women take this opportunity to return to the pyramid? Come on pompeydunc give us the opportunity !!

If I’m correct with the decision being taken after the league allocation, the reserves can’t even play under another club banner or refound as a new club leaving all the players in limbo for the season. Not the best decision to be taking just a year after we were talking about the legacy of the Euros and looking forward to the World Cup in Australia/New Zealand

Depends on whether the league a new name team trying to join has held its AGM. Many have by now. New member clubs can typically be accepted by a suitable league, with vacancies, up to their AGM, but not once the league AGM has been held. Obviously Pyramid rules would apply, limiting potential destinations

Clearly individual players can sign elsewhere, subject to the usual rules about debts etc.

The other potential reason I can think of is a loss of relevant officials, if the management have gone in particular. If so, they may have recruited most of the players for their new team. Hardly unknown at this level.

If it's true, I'm sure the club will speak soon.

I hope they do. As far as I’m aware the squad was in place after successful trials just one month ago as are the management team who have not left the club. Training has been scheduled and I’m guessing, pre season games arranged.

There will surely need to be a statement and it should include explanation as to why the decision wasn't immediately conveyed to the women's team so they had the option to continue playing in another league.

There will surely need to be a statement and it should include explanation as to why the decision wasn't immediately conveyed to the women's team so they had the option to continue playing in another league.
Well you’d now hope that - if it’s true - in addition to that point, the statement would include an explanation as to why Comms was so late on this. If it’s true.

So the first any of us knew about this was via Twitter on Monday and come Thursday, there still hasn't been a peep from the club about it.

So the first any of us knew about this was via Twitter on Monday and come Thursday, there still hasn't been a peep from the club about it.
Just worth saying it might not be true. As I understood it the guy making the claim said he knew because his daughter played for the Reserves but then someone else in a similar position said they hadn’t heard that. So I’m giving the benefit of the doubt until I hear definitively. But it’s hard to do that when there is radio silence and when you know the club Comms officer has read the question but chosen not to answer - that suggests something is being prepared.

Back
Top Bottom