Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

I get why in a 12 team league it's only one guaranteed up. But it is a shame there isn't more to play for. Say we had a playoff off 2nd vs winner of 3rd vs 4th, with the winner of that playing off against 11th in the division above. It would keep the league table alive for so many more teams for so much longer. (Although generally I'm not a fan of cross-division playoffs).

I get why in a 12 team league it's only one guaranteed up. But it is a shame there isn't more to play for. Say we had a playoff off 2nd vs winner of 3rd vs 4th, with the winner of that playing off against 11th in the division above. It would keep the league table alive for so many more teams for so much longer. (Although generally I'm not a fan of cross-division playoffs).
Seems to be the case across the entire women’s football pyramid. And administrators afraid that with enhanced promotion there’s more chance of a “small” club getting promoted beyond their means?

Seems to be the case across the entire women’s football pyramid. And administrators afraid that with enhanced promotion there’s more chance of a “small” club getting promoted beyond their means?
The trouble is it's not just our division promoting into the one above. Promoting a second club from every division means relegating 4 of the 12 in the National League South East. I suppose you could relegate three and have a play-off between the two runners-up for the third place. I've never been a fan of play-offs to decide promotion, and guaranteeing dates for such fixtures becomes more of a problem when the teams concerned don't have first call on the pitches they use. Then clubs have the issue of key players being unavailable for crucial games scheduled at short notice, which again tends to be more of an issue at the end of the regular season the lower down the pyramid you go.

Assuming we're in the same division next season, we're likely to be competing against both Fulham and Brentford (who are well placed for promotion from our reserve team's division) so that's two men's Premier League clubs who will surely allocate greater resources to their women's teams sooner or later. Unfortunately it's probably not going to get any more straightforward to reach the next level.

When Southampton beat Wolves in a promotion play off to Step Two last Saints invested either £1.5m or £2m into their women's set up - can't remember which. (One of my neighbours kids is in their academy at U11.) Wolves have started paying players and play an increasing number of matches at Molineux but look set to miss out on promotion again this season. (A few of the Wolves team came from Coventry United when they turned pro. The money offered by CU wasn't worth them giving up their career for, I believe most were teachers.)

The BBC carried an interview with a key figure at Lewes a while back. They basically said their club expects to drift down the structure as they can't compete with either the glamour, set up or money some pro clubs increasingly offer.

Womens football is changing. TBH Hamlet missed the boat. Even if they hadn't, they probably would have found themselves in the same boat as Lewes.

Hopefully a good girls section can be established to feed into DHWFC and they can settle in as a strong regional side. The top tiers will become increasingly clogged up with very familiar club names.

The trouble is it's not just our division promoting into the one above. Promoting a second club from every division means relegating 4 of the 12 in the National League South East. I suppose you could relegate three and have a play-off between the two runners-up for the third place. I've never been a fan of play-offs to decide promotion, and guaranteeing dates for such fixtures becomes more of a problem when the teams concerned don't have first call on the pitches they use. Then clubs have the issue of key players being unavailable for crucial games scheduled at short notice, which again tends to be more of an issue at the end of the regular season the lower down the pyramid you go.
Assuming we're in the same division next season, we're likely to be competing against both Fulham and Brentford (who are well placed for promotion from our reserve team's division) so that's two men's Premier League clubs who will surely allocate greater resources to their women's teams sooner or later. Unfortunately it's probably not going to get any more straightforward to reach the next level.
It’s a moot point as to how much is invested based on the position of the men’s team. My feeling with both Brentford and Fulham is that if they were to invest in the women’s set up this is something they would have done by now. There’s always a feeling at Fulham that the women’s team is “tolerated”, judging by the way fans and players are swept out of there so quickly. On one occasion there with Dulwich both sets of players were getting their post match food in the pub by the station after being allowed about half an hour to change & vacate the ground.

It’s a moot point as to how much is invested based on the position of the men’s team. My feeling with both Brentford and Fulham is that if they were to invest in the women’s set up this is something they would have done by now. There’s always a feeling at Fulham that the women’s team is “tolerated”, judging by the way fans and players are swept out of there so quickly. On one occasion there with Dulwich both sets of players were getting their post match food in the pub by the station after being allowed about half an hour to change & vacate the ground.
I've no idea what sort of internal politics are involved at these clubs. I'd initially assumed the Fulham team in our division was a development team, I only realised it was a 1st XI when someone mentioned them playing one match at Craven Cottage and getting an attendance of several thousand. Consigning all other matches to Motspur Park when there's so much latent interest seems stupid and ignorant to me. I've been put off visiting the venue by what I've heard from others. It sounds to be essentially a behind closed doors training facility where a limited number of spectators are reluctantly accommodated in a tiny portion of the ground.

Brentford seem to play their games at Bedfont Sports and had an official attendance of 87 for the last one.

In the regional rungs of the women’s pyramid the quality of player isn’t always commensurate with the level they’re playing at. Remember when non league players turned down moves to the professional game because it would mean giving up lucrative day jobs? That’s very much the case in the women’s game. I’ve played against some incredibly talented and skilful players who should be playing as high as championship level but for various reasons do not. Personally I had approaches from two step 6 clubs last summer that I turned down, one because it would have mean travelling out to Essex & East Anglia and the other because they reneged a previous trial. Not sure I could or would have done the same in the men’s game.

I've no idea what sort of internal politics are involved at these clubs. I'd initially assumed the Fulham team in our division was a development team, I only realised it was a 1st XI when someone mentioned them playing one match at Craven Cottage and getting an attendance of several thousand. Consigning all other matches to Motspur Park when there's so much latent interest seems stupid and ignorant to me. I've been put off visiting the venue by what I've heard from others. It sounds to be essentially a behind closed doors training facility where a limited number of spectators are reluctantly accommodated in a tiny portion of the ground.

Brentford seem to play their games at Bedfont Sports and had an official attendance of 87 for the last one.
Brentford reportedly had 1124 attending at Bedfont today thanks to free entry and publicity.

Indeed - not permitted behind the goal. We were asked to stop singing during the penalty shootout in last season's cup match as it was not fair on Fulham! 😂

Indeed - not permitted behind the goal. We were asked to stop singing during the penalty shootout in last season's cup match as it was not fair on Fulham! 😂
The best thing about that afternoon was that the only individuals to be caught drinking were the family of one of the Fulham players!! 😆

Stoke have just confirmed they are paying their female players from next season. If the Premier keeps moving the way it probably will, both Fulham and Brentford will invest a lot more in their women's section in the next two or three seasons. We shall see.

Brentford may do, though given the level they play at (Step 6) its either going to be a fraction of the amount Stoke City will be paying at Step 3 or it see all the best players hoovered up from rival clubs. With 4 figure crowds at both Bedfont & the main stadium, albeit with free ticketing, Brentford have seen the appeal of women’s football. Not sure that Fulham have reached that stage yet.

Apparently the FSA, and clubs, are pressing the FA to end the roadblock at tier three , which sees only one team going up via a play off between the two champions.

If done that's likely to see the bigger clubs move up in numbers, making it harder for the smaller clubs to survive on the top tiers. The tier three club's with realistic play off hopes this season are Oxford, Ipswich, Watford, Portsmouth, Wolves, Forest and Burnley.

The FA have today announced the system of only promoting one Step Three club, via a play off between the North and South champions, will cease. After this season both champions will be promoted and two clubs relegated.

That'll make it a bit easier for some of the big names currently stuck in tier three to move up the ladder.

Heartbreaking to lose both Sophie & Hannah. Was an absolute honour to play again both of them in the two Trans Day of Visibility games this year and last. I’ll always remember Sophie’s massively positive words in the Peter Crouch documentary ahead of the 2022 game. It does seem strange that both players have left so abruptly rather than playing out the final few games of the season.

Apparently the FSA, and clubs, are pressing the FA to end the roadblock at tier three , which sees only one team going up via a play off between the two champions.

If done that's likely to see the bigger clubs move up in numbers, making it harder for the smaller clubs to survive on the top tiers. The tier three club's with realistic play off hopes this season are Oxford, Ipswich, Watford, Portsmouth, Wolves, Forest and Burnley.
A couple of months ago I noticed Manchester United are top of the Women's Premier League. I was surprised, as I'd never noticed them among the top women's teams before this season. I've just seen a BBC sports bulletin mention the team was only formed 5 years ago. Have they got to that level on merit, or were they fast tracked because of the name? Bearing in mind there was one year with no promotions due to the pandemic, then another with dodgy promotions decided by a committee of FA boffins.

A couple of months ago I noticed Manchester United are top of the Women's Premier League. I was surprised, as I'd never noticed them among the top women's teams before this season. I've just seen a BBC sports bulletin mention the team was only formed 5 years ago. Have they got to that level on merit, or were they fast tracked because of the name? Bearing in mind there was one year with no promotions due to the pandemic, then another with dodgy promotions decided by a committee of FA boffins.
In 2018 the pyramid was re-structured a bit, and clubs could bid for a license. United got a Championship license then won promotion that season.

In 2018 the pyramid was re-structured a bit, and clubs could bid for a license. United got a Championship license then won promotion that season.

The year that Portsmouth won Step 3 (south), which would usually have been automatic promotion, but instead had to play off against Sheffield (north winners) and lost the match. All of this to accommodate Man Utd being parachuted in. Think it had other knock on effects too. Pompey have been Step 3 since. So for some here, then there's a positive for you.

Back
Top Bottom