Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Despicable political repression in America

Quartz

Eclectic contrarian plebeian
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...e-i-thought-it-was-home-invasion-david-french

Briefly, a Democrat, Chisholm, tries to suppress what he sees as support for Walker and uses draconian powers to do so.

Why would Chisholm seek such broad powers to investigate a year-old embezzlement claim with a known suspect? Because the Milwaukee County executive, Scott Walker, had by that time become the leading Republican candidate for governor. District Attorney Chisholm was a Democrat, a very partisan Democrat.

Do they even have a left wing?

I don't use the "left/right" terminology, but public opinion in the USA is decidedly anti-capitalist, to a far greater extent than the UK. One would be foolish to judge US public opinion by the media representation thereof.

Not that it stops most Brits. I remember posting on here about the long and well-documented tradition of revolutionary "Magonista" anarchism in Texas and Arizona, to be received with sheer incredulity.

The problem is, Brits have a tendency to allow images to over-ride reality.

never can shake the memory of that tea party bloke clutching his billy clubbed skull and moaning 'I don't have health insurance' at an anti-obamacare rally. I felt sorry for him and angry at him at the same time. Dirt poor and scared.

never can shake the memory of that tea party bloke clutching his billy clubbed skull and moaning 'I don't have health insurance' at an anti-obamacare rally. I felt sorry for him and angry at him at the same time. Dirt poor and scared.

And prevented from an overt commitment to "leftism" only by the laziness of such labels.

Contrary to what one might believe from media representation, very few Americans have any faith in their government, and still less put any credence in capitalism.

You have to remember that the National Review is not a news source. It's a magazine of Conservative opinion. I'd take whatever they say with a huge grain of salt.

That isn't to say there isn't dirty political maneuvering on both sides.
Yes, not just conservative but flaming right wing propaganda. Don't believe much of what's in it.

Back
Top Bottom