Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dawn Butler MP closes office

Skin tone is an obvious but small part of how people judge race. There used to be a famous photo of Bush Jr stood next to Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. Can't find it but (in this photo at least) Bush has much darker skin than either of the two black people but no-one would question his whiteness or their blackness (ignoring for the moment that Powell is mixed race).

She’s currently trending on Twitter over a video she’s released of herself being stopped by police whilst driving through Hackney (think she’s a passenger).

Fuck you you fucking dickhead.

The comment was perfectly reasonable, if you abolish the police service, then who will you call when something like this happens.

If The police cannot protect Dawn Butler now, who is going to do so if there is no police service.

Arsehole!
Sass - ffs! :facepalm:
nobody in BLM is suggesting abolishing all police, that simply isn't what the defunding policy means.

This is what it means; in the USA, one of the consequences of the past 40 years' policy is that the police are masively overfunded and militarised, whilst at the same time 40 years of neoliberalism as applied to public services means that social, welfare, public health etec services have been underfunded tot he poin that they might as well not be there at all, and indeed in man y places they effectively aren't. Consequnently the police get lumbered with de facto responsibility for dealing with na wide range of social problems, problems for which they are simply unequippe.d to find solutions.

'Defunding' simply means removing a relatively small chunk of that whopping dibble budget, and diverting it to social, welfare, education, health etc programmes, so as to address the root cause of the various problems.

Look - is this really that hard to grasp? It's been explained to death.
e2a; editoed for typos and to give greater clarity

Last edited:
A service without funds is not a service. Defunding the police is not the answer, getting them to behave like reasonable human beings is the answer, albeit difficult.
Please see my last post and enlighten yourself.
I have long thought that for both the police and medicine, a new disciplinary bodies are needed. At the moment, they are marking their own homework. The panel to investigate police wrongdoing should comprise a majority of ordinary citizens, with a lawyer and a senior police person in an advisory role.
Interesting idea, but I think you'd need a whole team of lawyers advising them. The police fed can get up to some verry nasty stunts

Neither the policemen stopping Dawn Butler's car or the people commenting on Twitter would have had the framing of the question in the context of the closing down of DB's office due to racist threats (that readers of this thread on Urban have the benefit of) or the repetion of police stops forming a pattern that each individual police stop could not form.

If it happens once you shrug it off. If it happens repeatedly you start to think institutional racism in the police force.

But racism is really the wrong word its racial prejudice. I think racial predudice and racial profiling are the same thing really. Prejudice appears irrational and profiling appears rational. But is there so much diference between the two?

Once the police realised that she was an MP they changed their tune quite quickly.

Neither the policemen stopping Dawn Butler's car or the people commenting on Twitter would have had the framing of the question in the context of the closing down of DB's office due to racist threats (that readers of this thread on Urban have the benefit of) or the repetion of police stops forming a pattern that each individual police stop could not form.

If it happens once you shrug it off. If it happens repeatedly you start to think institutional racism in the police force.

But racism is really the wrong word its racial prejudice. I think racial predudice and racial profiling are the same thing really. Prejudice appears irrational and profiling appears rational. But is there so much diference between the two?

Once the police realised that she was an MP they changed their tune quite quickly.
The thought of a p45 does that to a cop

Some light reading for you
Key part.
"Defunding the police does not mean an immediate end to policing, but instead investing in social policies that prevent people from experiencing violence and harm in the first place."

I don't believe there will ever be a day when humans aren't experiencing/participating in acts of violence towards their fellow humans.

It's not dystopian it's just nature innit.

Following on from her past experiences, this allegedly happened on 7 June 2020:

Man charged with sending offensive communication to Labour MP Dawn Butler

This background of threats and abuse certainly emphasises the bravery of her recent actions:

Earlier today at Warrington Magistrates' Court, Stephen Brotherton, 70, of Warrington, admitted sending Dawn Butler MP an electronic network a message that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character on June 7 2020, under S127 of the Communications Act 2003.

Stephen Brotherton was given a six-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to pay court costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £128.

Don’t really know of Dawn Butler. But I always thought Diane Abbott copped an insane amount of grief for simply being a black woman in frontline party politics.

She spoke truth, in Parliament, to power. And somehow our 'democracy' can't cope with that.

It's a stupid, arcane convention. If you can get away with calling someone a 'gutless fraud' in the Australian parliament (which has its' roots in Westminster) I can't see what the issue is.

“There’s a certain group of white men who constantly try to put me in my place, who constantly try to push me back and say: ‘No, you’re not getting any further.’ They don’t want the system to change, because the system works for them the way it should.”

article-2153401-0042A0EA00000258-582_306x423.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

“They’re letting anybody in nowadays.”

A very brave politician:

Dawn Butler: ‘It is shocking, the disrespect for Black women in the Commons’

Back
Top Bottom