Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Danny Baker's BBC London show to be axed.

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
Danny Baker has just tweeted that his daily show on BBC London is to go, to save money apparently. :mad:

FFS this is the best show on the station, original, funny, spontanteous and with some great music. They'll probably get someone cheap but rubbish like Jo Good or Jenni Barnet to replace him.

:(

Danny Baker has tweeted that his weekday afternoon show on BBC London has been axed to save money.

He then linked to a promo for Zane Lowe’s evening show on BBC Radio 1, implying it wouldn’t have been cheap to produce. His next tweet revealed he’s about to be inducted into the Radio Academy Hall of Fame at the upcoming Radio Festival, saying how ironic it was.

:mad:

Him and Robert Elms are my favorite things on daytime radio.

2011 story here

I believe, and may well be wrong, that this is part of a plan to switch the afternoon slots of a lot of BBC local radio stations into some sort of national Radio 5 fest (who I believe that long wanted FM slots).

It annoys me because it probably means the Robert Elms show will go as well and I rather enjoy that as well. Without those two is there any reason to listen to the station anymore ? They might as well just close it down or switch it to a rolling news format with travel thrown in (which can be handy on occassion) because I for one dont give a shit what somebody from Salford may or may not have to say about anything.

I believe, and may well be wrong, that this is part of a plan to switch the afternoon slots of a lot of BBC local radio stations into some sort of national Radio 5 fest (who I believe that long wanted FM slots).

It annoys me because it probably means the Robert Elms show will go as well and I rather enjoy that as well. Without those two is there any reason to listen to the station anymore ? They might as well just close it down or switch it to a rolling news format with travel thrown in (which can be handy on occassion) because I for one dont give a shit what somebody from Salford may or may not have to say about anything.

Uggghhhhh, and to add shit as the icing, the afternoon slot on 5Live is occupied by that tosser Bacon. He's a new low for that station which is already populated by idiots like Derbyshire, Nolan and Adeabayo along with nonenties like Fogerty and others too bland to remember.

Uggghhhhh, and to add shit as the icing, the afternoon slot on 5Live is occupied by that tosser Bacon. He's a new low for that station which is already populated by idiots like Derbyshire, Nolan and Adeabayo along with nonenties like Fogerty and others too bland to remember.

Bacon has grown on me a bit. He was terrible when he first started.

Danny Bakers show on Saturday morning is enjoyable.

Bacon has grown on me a bit. He was terrible when he first started.

Danny Bakers show on Saturday morning is enjoyable.

Nah, Bacon is unredeemably bad. Post #13 is on the money in that respect.

I rarely get up early enough to listen to Baker and when I do I run the risk of encountering the screeching of Colin Murray. They've just given Murray the job of hosting the new cycling programme on R5L - another sport he knows fuck all about.

Nah, Bacon is unredeemably bad. Post #13 is on the money in that respect.

I rarely get up early enough to listen to Baker and when I do I run the risk of encountering the screeching of Colin Murray. They've just given Murray the job of hosting the new cycling programme on R5L - another sport he knows fuck all about.

yeah i was a bit meh about Murray presenting that.

i often listen to Baker's morning show on Saturdays while making breakie etc.

i'd love it if Baker replaced Bacon though, don't get me wrong.

yeah i was a bit meh about Murray presenting that.

i often listen to Baker's morning show on Saturdays while making breakie etc.

i'd love it if Baker replaced Bacon though, don't get me wrong.

I think Baker is too highbrow or maybe too old to do that. 5L wants to be BBC3 sometimes I think. Don't get me wrong Baker would be good.
Meanwhile I have to fess I mostly listen to Talksport these days or R4. Listening to 5L now though as there's a news story of interest on there. Bacon's just asking the questions his producer is telling him too.

Danny Baker is still one of the best broadcasters around but could do with a respray. He's had the same sidekicks and format for a bit too long. BBC London must be mad to get rid of him though.

Just a shameful decision. I'm really pretty upset about this. Idiots. BBC London was quite good when I first moved down here. Over the years it's increasingly become infested with formulaic crap and Danny Baker is one of the few reasons I listen to it any more at all. Probably no-one else in Britain understands the medium of radio as well as Danny Baker - one of the few people who I'd consider using the word "genius" in conjunction with and it's one of the best radio shows anywhere. And this is what they choose to axe.

Goodbye radio london.

Didn't make this much fuss when he was going to leave Radio London and have his shows podcasted at £2 a week, or whatever it was.
It was fine when he was leaving..now he's been pushed it's different.

To be honest I'd probably rather pay to listen to an independently produced podcast than listen to it on BBC London interspersed with all the other crap on there.

Listening to his show, apparently it's the last one. He's really laying into management and the decision to finish it.

Back
Top Bottom