Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace Pubs

No, we haven't met (I'm fairly sure I know who you are).

I do understand your point of view and why you made your decision.

I wouldn't want to put other people off the site though. It's certainly not like Urban but it's a good resource for that local area, even if just for reviews and the like.

beeboo said:
No, we haven't met (I'm fairly sure I know who you are).

I do understand your point of view and why you made your decision.

I wouldn't want to put other people off the site though. It's certainly not like Urban but it's a good resource for that local area, even if just for reviews and the like.

Well, there aren't many (okay, any!) other trade union officials on there, so it wouldn't take much to work out who I am! :)

And I am not trying to discourage people from using the site for its reviews and information. In fact, I specifically stated that. I have been using the site for many years on that basis. However, I would urge people from here to be cautious about participating in the forum, that's all :)

Guineveretoo said:
Oh yeah! :D Oops!

Mind you, I have never seen you on there. What is your login handle?

Edit: I can see that you are logged in on there, but I still don't remember ever seeing you post!

I post infrequently - tbh I find it almost impossible to post anything that doesn't cause some controversy or wind the webmaster up - without that being the intention

A fair few months back I used to post under a different name but I resigned in protest at the way other members were being treated a little too heavy-handedly by the webmaster

However I felt I could make some valuable contribution in other ways and rejoined relatively recently

tommers said:
I had a look at it. seems OK, but some of the reviews were a little strange!
To be honest, the reviews being "strange" is part of what attracted me to it. I love the fact that you get a completely diverse set of views about a venue.

Sedgley Warrior said:
I post infrequently - tbh I find it almost impossible to post anything that doesn't cause some controversy or wind the webmaster up - without that being the intention

A fair few months back I used to post under a different name but I resigned in protest at the way other members were being treated a little too heavy-handedly by the webmaster

However I felt I could make some valuable contribution in other ways and rejoined relatively recently

Interesting... and very close to my experience, too. Except it was me that the webmaster was treating too heavy handedly! :D

Guineveretoo said:
Interesting... and very close to my experience, too. Except it was me that the webmaster was treating too heavy handedly! :D

According to the VN forum the webmaster is moving away from CP but will keep the VN forum running. I don't know whether this means he'll relinquish overall control to the other more moderate moderators or not - who knows? :)

Sedgley Warrior said:
According to the VN forum the webmaster is moving away from CP but will keep the VN forum running. I don't know whether this means he'll relinquish overall control to the other more moderate moderators or not - who knows? :)

I saw that, but he makes it clear that he will still be maintaining the website.

I am lurking on there :D

perplexis said:
:confused:
Umm, yes. Cos I'm so fuckin' cool, that's exactly what I meant. They do so ruin one's drinking experience. :rolleyes:
Let me rephrase then, when I used to go there regularly, many years ago, of a Saturday with my workmates, we would find it inordinately depressing and sad to see the same faces, alone drinking themselves and their sorrow into oblivion, I'm talking about lonely old people for whom we had some kind of, if not empathy, compassion.
I didn't mean it in an offensive "Oh. My. God, have you seen those people over there, they're so not cool, let's, like, totally leave this place; I mean, have you seen that guy's shoes, they're so 1999..."
It's an observation.
And, before anyone says it, yep, maybe if we felt that sorry for them we could have spoken to them and brightened up their lives. Such is life though, we don't always do exactly what we should do, we're not always as charitable as we should be, nor as nice as we should be.

Looks like I missed this little run in with a certain returning banned poster! ;)

tommers said:
we went to the alma last night for the open mic night. all our problems are solved!

that's my new favourite pub in CP!
Excellent stuff! I've only just noticed this thread so it's good to see you gave t'Alma a second chance. That's my local that is. :)

The Royal Albert - nice enough place, have been in many times - but not so many since a massive pub brawl (started and sustained by a single right-wing twat on St. George's Day) that occurred while I was in there with my other half and mother-in-law ended with them getting shards of broken glass in their hair. The woman behind the bar, incidentally, did absolutely nothing (hence my lesser frequency in there now) despite other drinkers in the line of fire getting cut, pushed over and bruised. :mad:

The Puzzle - an All Bar One clone with a pretentious, touchy twat for a manager. Don't go.

The Black Sheep - very laid back and a bit trendy without being pretentious. Fab Sunday afternoon/evening boozer (I ended up spending the entirety of my last birthday in there). :cool:

The Cambridge/The Hollybush - similar old-school old mens' boozers, although the latter shades it for me. Not much in the way of excitement though.

The Postal Order - nuff said. A Wetherspoons.

O'Neill's - not at all bad for a chain pub, but not particularly awe-inspiring either.

The Bluebottle - quite nice, but not a lot of soul. Seems to be getting bigger on the security front, rammed with professional types on Saturday evenings, expensive and undeniably trendy, but in the Winter the open fires and cartoons on the screen in the back are a bit different.

What CP really needs is a few late licence venues (the Alma being the nearest there is) and a bit more attitude on the musical front. Otherwise, I like it. :)

acid priest said:
Excellent stuff! I've only just noticed this thread so it's good to see you gave t'Alma a second chance. That's my local that is. :)

The Royal Albert - nice enough place, have been in many times - but not so many since a massive pub brawl (started and sustained by a single right-wing twat on St. George's Day) that occurred while I was in there with my other half and mother-in-law ended with them getting shards of broken glass in their hair. The woman behind the bar, incidentally, did absolutely nothing (hence my lesser frequency in there now) despite other drinkers in the line of fire getting cut, pushed over and bruised. :mad:

The Puzzle - an All Bar One clone with a pretentious, touchy twat for a manager. Don't go.

The Black Sheep - very laid back and a bit trendy without being pretentious. Fab Sunday afternoon/evening boozer (I ended up spending the entirety of my last birthday in there). :cool:

The Cambridge/The Hollybush - similar old-school old mens' boozers, although the latter shades it for me. Not much in the way of excitement though.

The Postal Order - nuff said. A Wetherspoons.

O'Neill's - not at all bad for a chain pub, but not particularly awe-inspiring either.

The Bluebottle - quite nice, but not a lot of soul. Seems to be getting bigger on the security front, rammed with professional types on Saturday evenings, expensive and undeniably trendy, but in the Winter the open fires and cartoons on the screen in the back are a bit different.

What CP really needs is a few late licence venues (the Alma being the nearest there is) and a bit more attitude on the musical front. Otherwise, I like it. :)

I agree with most of this, although I wasn't aware of any fights in the Royal Albert. I have, however, heard of several in and around the Puzzle!

Also, the Bluebottle has a late licence. Oh, and last time I was in there at a weekend, it had loud music and was showing Lord of the Rings on that screen in the back place, which was a bit weird.

I like it, though.

Guineveretoo said:
I agree with most of this, although I wasn't aware of any fights in the Royal Albert. I have, however, heard of several in and around the Puzzle!
I think it was just a one-off on the part of that particular Nazi twunt, that we just happened to be witness to. But yeah, I've heard of some nasty shit going down at The Puzzle - also Jack Beard's over the junction at the top of Anerley Hill. I don't bother with either of those places now.

Guineveretoo said:
Also, the Bluebottle has a late licence. Oh, and last time I was in there at a weekend, it had loud music and was showing Lord of the Rings on that screen in the back place, which was a bit weird.
The Bluebottle can be pleasant for a couple of drinks, but I find the atmosphere/music rather homogenised plus it's practically impossible to get served on a Friday or Saturday night (well, certainly if you're an ugly 30-something bloke as opposed to a gorgeous young lass :rolleyes: :oops: ).
One place I've seen mentioned on this thread which deserves another big up is the bar downstairs at Numidie - low-lit, low-ceilinged and as small as a spacious living room with a kind of illicit Parisian opium den vibe to it. Plus you often get musicians playing 'intimate' gigs down there. As a matter of fact I was in there last night after the CP fireworks. Cool place. :cool:

Finally, with reference to comments about Domali earlier on this thread, I must agree that a proper pub/bar it doth not make, but it's great for a couple of drinks in the early evening (especially outside in the Summer) and does a fine line in olive, pitta and houmous light snacks.
icon14.gif

Are there enough of us in the Crystal Palace area for a bit of a mini-meet in one of these establishments (Numidie's wine bar?), or is that just a daft idea?

Guineveretoo said:
Are there enough of us in the Crystal Palace area for a bit of a mini-meet in one of these establishments (Numidie's wine bar?), or is that just a daft idea?
Well, I'd be up for it. :)
icon14.gif

Passenger lives nearby so I'm sure he'd come along, and Perplexis is down in the Palace fairly often. Plus we have Maggot and Spanglechick in the wider area...lovely urbs one and all. I've long thought there should be a South By Southeast rival to the North By Northwest drinks... ;) :cool:

Let's go for it, then.

How much notice do people need?

Will somebody pick a date and start a new thread? It was my idea, so I will leave it to someone else to pick a date (not sure what the logic is, there, but still...)

:rolleyes:

Guineveretoo said:
Let's go for it, then.

How much notice do people need?

Will somebody pick a date and start a new thread? It was my idea, so I will leave it to someone else to pick a date (not sure what the logic is, there, but still...)

:rolleyes:
someone mention my name?

yup - meetup in crystal palace - rah... I'll be there. south by southeast drinkies - how feckin cool is that?

acid priest said:
I've long thought there should be a South By Southeast rival to the North By Northwest drinks... ;) :cool:
there was, until I left S E London
<looks smug>
i'd venture back daahn saaf for this, if yer lucky, i might even organise it for you.

Red Jezza said:
there was, until I left S E London
<looks smug>
i'd venture back daahn saaf for this, if yer lucky, i might even organise it for you.
We can manage alright on our own thanks. :p

I wouldn't have thought it needs much organising. Isn't it just a case of picking a date and place and posting it?

Or are we going for something more involved/complicated? :D

Bit further away for you but my local is the Alleyns Head in West Dulwich. Really nice local boozer and you can walk from Gipsy Hill or hop on the number 3 bus down croxted road a couple of stops. Its on Park Hall Road if you know where that is? Also, the Rosendale (my proper local but dont use as much) again in W.Dulwich. Really big pub which has been modernised and is a bit more trendy. Not as warm and cosy as the Alleyn but they do decent drinks and gorgeous wood fired pizzas :D

[the only other thing we heard was that there is a bar underneath the numidie restaurant.... anybody know what that is like?[/QUOTE]

not been in the downstairs bar in Numidie but have eaten there twice and the food is delicious :)

Well, we live above Numidie, and it always sounds like people are having a good time in there. Especially at 1am when we're getting up early the next morning... :rolleyes:

Dolly Dimple said:
Well, we live above Numidie, and it always sounds like people are having a good time in there. Especially at 1am when we're getting up early the next morning... :rolleyes:

we'll be sure to be quiet next time!

Back
Top Bottom