Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Critiquing Oasis

Morrissey is hardly wiser and more reflective, and he's 65.
1. I'm going to see a Smiths tribute band, not a Moz one.
2. If Moz chooses to write about being a sad and lonely outsider from his massive, fuck-off mansion from LA, that's up to him.
3. I don't think The Smiths would still be obsessing about 20-something concerns now, certainly not being a "Rock & Roll Star" (yawn).

Last edited:
1. I'm going to see a Smiths tribute band, not a Moz one.
2. If Moz chooses to write about being a sad and lonely outsider from his massive, fuck-off mansion from LA, that's up to him.
3. I don't think The Smiths would still be obsessing about 20-something concerns now, certainly not being a "Rock & Roll Star" (yawn).

I hope they play Hippy Chick. That was one of their best.

Has this figure been mentioned?
"Dynamic pricing, which is common in the US but relatively unusual in the UK and Ireland, meant that some fans queued all day long only to find that £135 standing tickets had risen to £355 when the time came to confirm their purchase."
Its all going to be surgre pricing right? its not like there was a quite patch at one point

"Dynamic pricing, which is common in the US but relatively unusual in the UK and Ireland, meant that some fans queued all day long only to find that £135 standing tickets had risen to £355 when the time came to confirm their purchase."
Its all going to be surgre pricing right? its not like there was a quite patch at one point
Surge pricing in supermarkets. Tin of beans, a quid. Oh, wait, there are 12 people in the queue behind you. That'll be 18 quid, please.

Call it what it is. Profiteering. 'Surge pricing' is just flowery language to disguise it.

A friend of mine paid £500 for a ticket. Five hundred! I just don't get it. There's no artist on earth, alive or dead I'd pay that much for. I'm struggling to think of a band I'd even pay £150 for. And I quite liked a bit of Oasis. If someone offered me a ticket, sure I might pay £50 or something but £150 not a chance.

And these are like casual fans who to my knowledge have never so much even mentioned their love of Oasis, or gone to any of Noel or Liam's solo shows (which are basically near enough the same deal with a few solo numbers). I'm convinced people are getting needlessly carried away with all this because of media hype.

Call it what it is. Profiteering. 'Surge pricing' is just flowery language to disguise it.

A friend of mine paid £500 for a ticket. Five hundred! I just don't get it. There's no artist on earth, alive or dead I'd pay that much for. I'm struggling to think of a band I'd even pay £150 for. And I quite liked a bit of Oasis. If someone offered me a ticket, sure I might pay £50 or something but £150 not a chance.

And these are like casual fans who to my knowledge have never so much even mentioned their love of Oasis, or gone to any of Noel or Liam's solo shows (which are basically near enough the same deal with a few solo numbers). I'm convinced people are getting needlessly carried away with all this because of media hype.
Paid a tout £40 for Stone Roses at Ally Pally which I just googled is about the £150 mark allowing for inflation. And did initally join queue for this as Murrayfield is £3 bus ride away...but gave up by 11 and first talk of surge pricing ...a monkey? rather spend it on booze and fags

It's like they found a way to be EVEN more cunty...

...Not settling for the real pisstake of (the not widely known practice of) essentially having an in-house 'official' tout whereby Ticketmaster have it as a legal move whereby they will agree to sell x% through Ticketmaster and y% through Ticketmasteragogo the reseller site...Like that's in all major events, just in case they weren't making enough money with the 20% service fee for enabling users to print their tickets at home...

But the new flex which they have seen work, and will now be their new revenue frontier for everywhere (including throttled queues to build up the wait time for the bands with the numerous or fanatical following)...To actually surge price at the END of the queue journey. So You've queued for hours, (so the fanaticism/desperation is proven, along with the fear of the sunk cos of wasted effort), and at the last minute, they pull the rug away and triple the ticket price. For no good reason but because they can.

My mate bought 4 tickets, and paid 450 or so each...He's quite relaxed about it (he does ok for himself, but that's not the point), as one comfort is that you can punt them on (not profiteering) fairly quickly (tho he needs to do it soon, see last paragraph), but just the pisstake of thinking you've got in a queue for a ticket costing (already a fuckton by any reasonable stretch) 150, and after 4 hours of stressing about it all, they hit you with the inflated price, knowing the actual amount at which you would be willing to forego this band you've worked yourselves up for the challenge to see, is pretty high. I bet the number of people that got to the queue and said "450? Fuck that" is relatively small.

I'm absolutely at peace with not going to see them - tbh I got sucked into the hype and tbh the challenge of it all, before realising...I'm not that fussed about seeing them? They have done legendary gigs, but they've done hundreds of stinkers. The Oasis live experience is a better memory than an experience IMO. I saw them in 05 and they were...Good, but not 'Earls Court 97' good or 'Gmex Be Here Now' good.

And, of course they are pretty hard to like as people - and now they have literally pissed on their fans.

Also...I haven't heard this really mentioned (and obvs kept hidden by the band to ensure the UK gig extortion can happen to it's fullest)...But shirley the obvious turn of events (and my plan) is going to be the announcement of the rest of the international gigs for the world tour - I reckon it'll be like how it was easier/cheaper for the Septics to fly to UK and watch Taylor Swift in UK/Europe, just go watch the band in Hamburg, Paris, Barcelona etc etc etc (and get a city break out of it). You think Oasis will crash the servers of Ticketmaster Espania?

Hamburg, Paris, Barcelona etc etc etc (and get a city break out of it).

This is exactly what I did in February when my OH wanted to see Nothing But Thieves.

Checked the cost of their Wembley Arena show - £90 odd quid in the seated area and then checked the cost of their Barcelona show at a much smaller, and better venue, and it was €30 something. It was a no brainer. Cheap flight and a sunny weekend in Barcelona plus gig. Fuck ticketmaster.

Also...I haven't heard this really mentioned (and obvs kept hidden by the band to ensure the UK gig extortion can happen to it's fullest)...But shirley the obvious turn of events (and my plan) is going to be the announcement of the rest of the international gigs for the world tour - I reckon it'll be like how it was easier/cheaper for the Septics to fly to UK and watch Taylor Swift in UK/Europe, just go watch the band in Hamburg, Paris, Barcelona etc etc etc (and get a city break out of it). You think Oasis will crash the servers of Ticketmaster Espania?
Though with this mob would defo take out cancellation insurance...won't take too long working together for old grievances to resurface

Lisbon/ Zagreb I'll queue again. Have a decent weekend regardless of whether gig actually happens

This is exactly what I did in February when my OH wanted to see Nothing But Thieves.

Checked the cost of their Wembley Arena show - £90 odd quid in the seated area and then checked the cost of their Barcelona show at a much smaller, and better venue, and it was €30 something. It was a no brainer. Cheap flight and a sunny weekend in Barcelona plus gig. Fuck ticketmaster.
Tbf, I can't approve of anyone ripping off their fans, but at least Nothing But Thieves doing it has a pleasing nominative determinism to it.

This made me laugh out loud, literally. It’s fucking absurd.

Intended to be a point by point dismantling of Simon Price’s Guardian piece. I really want him to do Neil Kulkarni’s rant now.

For those who refuse to look at videos…
He’s a music teacher from a family of music teachers and a self proclaimed Oasis nerd.
As an example… His response to and denial of the accusation that Oasis’ music is regressive is to compare the musical structures on She’s Electric to Pet Sounds.

(I suppose Price /his editor ought to have used retrogressive instead of regressive in order to avoid this kind of thing…)

Last edited:
Price - Liam uses homophobic language in public
This bloke’s defence - yeah but he’s nice to his LGBT friends in private, so it does count
Price- Noel dissed Glastonbury for putting on Jay-Z
TBD - yeah but if a hip hop festival put on Oasis that wouldn’t be acceptable. As a guitar-band fan, I feel betrayed by Glastonbury, so Liam is right!

Etc.

Eta
His earnest pseudo-calm faux-academe stuff does get boring half way through tbh.

Last edited:

This is just drivel.

Responding to the complaints over dynamic ticketing, the statement from the band said: “It needs to be made clear that Oasis leave decisions on ticketing and pricing entirely to their promoters and management, and at no time had any awareness that dynamic pricing was going to be used.

“While prior meetings between promoters, Ticketmaster and the band’s management resulted in a positive ticket sale strategy, which would be a fair experience for fans, including dynamic ticketing to help keep general ticket prices down as well as reduce touting, the execution of the plan failed to meet expectations. All parties involved did their utmost to deliver the best possible fan experience, but due to the unprecedented demand this became impossible to achieve.”

This is just drivel.

Responding to the complaints over dynamic ticketing, the statement from the band said: “It needs to be made clear that Oasis leave decisions on ticketing and pricing entirely to their promoters and management, and at no time had any awareness that dynamic pricing was going to be used.

“While prior meetings between promoters, Ticketmaster and the band’s management resulted in a positive ticket sale strategy, which would be a fair experience for fans, including dynamic ticketing to help keep general ticket prices down as well as reduce touting, the execution of the plan failed to meet expectations. All parties involved did their utmost to deliver the best possible fan experience, but due to the unprecedented demand this became impossible to achieve.”
In what world does "dynamic ticketing help keep general ticket prices down as well as reduce touting"?

Back
Top Bottom