Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crap/Not Crap: The Cranberries

The Cranberries...

• Total voters
Look, we were chatting about enya yesterday, today we're chatting about Fela Kuti. Conversation works like that, it goes off at different angles, sometimes only tangentially related to the original topic. Were you really loving the on-topic posts so much that you think it's necessary to pull someone up for posting the wrong Zombie? It's not me who's being weird ffs.

You are a bit! This whole argument is a bit weird though TBH and I suspect we're both bored of it.

I like the jah wobbles/O'Riordan track.

I instinctively voted crap as it was a binary thing and my memory of them was of jangly, ploddy pop/rock. Not really to my taste. I'd not heard too much from them as it's not the sort of music I encountered much.

Given that this thread now has some legs, I thought I might be doing them a disservice, so I've listened to a few of the tunes on this thread and I'm fully in the crap camp now. Awful stuff. I'd try and leave the room if it came on awful.

I know nothing about Delorus or anyone else in the band and don't want to offend anyone, but to my ears it's music I'd actively try to avoid.

I instinctively voted crap as it was a binary thing and my memory of them was of jangly, ploddy pop/rock. Not really to my taste. I'd not heard too much from them as it's not the sort of music I encountered much.

Given that this thread now has some legs, I thought I might be doing them a disservice, so I've listened to a few of the tunes on this thread and I'm fully in the crap camp now. Awful stuff. I'd try and leave the room if it came on awful.

I know nothing about Delorus or anyone else in the band and don't want to offend anyone, but to my ears it's music I'd actively try to avoid.
Dolores. Her name is Dolores.

First, you should inform yourself.

Dolores. Her name is Dolores.

First, you should inform yourself.
Apologies. Spelling isn't one of my key skills.

And everyones different. What sounds wonderful to me would be considered rubbish to many people. I did try to inform myself by listening to three songs from this thread. I regret doing that now and have had makina on ever since to purge my mind.

OK, fine. What I'm saying is that the politics around that song were big enough that you didn't need to like the song not to know it. It's not like not knowing that a song is about so-and-so's ex. Still, we were young, and busy, and sometimes we miss stuff for whatever reason, I suppose.

But you still, until this thread, didn't know that Zombie was about the troubles? I mean, what? That's not something to be proud of in a hipsterish I-don't-like-popular-tunes way. Even OU knew that.
I'm Irish and I didn't know either, + I think they're absolute shite.

In the Republic?

People in the republic had to cross the border you know. We went over the border a lot. I knew of friends who got the bus from Belfast to Dub and back and the buses were repeatedly stopped. Soldiers would come on and physically check the passengers...as in pat them down to see if they were bringing anything over the border on them.
Got to the stage where my best friend's mum used hide the tights she bought in Dublin down her daughters clothes cos the soldiers thankfully didnt check the kids.

Whether or not to be Irish has nothing to do with the debate. First you must listen to most of the more than 100 songs they have made in their 30 years of experience, because if you have only listened to Zombie, Linger and Dreams your opinion is inconsequential

Ode To My Family was a fave in my flat when that album came out.

Ode To My Family was a fave in my flat when that album came out.
Beautiful song, is in my particular top 20:

1 Linger
2 Not Sorry
3 Shattered
4 Sunday
5 Ridiculous Thoughts
6 Yeat's Grave
7 Waltzing Back
8 What You Were
9 Liar
11 So Cold In Ireland
12 Dreams
13 Desperate Andy
14 Empty
15 Still Can't
16 Ode To My Family
17 Hollywood
18 Promises
19 Zombie
20 Forever Yellow Skies

Beautiful song, is in my particular top 20:

1 Linger
2 Not Sorry
3 Shattered
4 Sunday
5 Ridiculous Thoughts
6 Yeat's Grave
7 Waltzing Back
8 What You Were
9 Liar
11 So Cold In Ireland
12 Dreams
13 Desperate Andy
14 Empty
15 Still Can't
16 Ode To My Family
17 Hollywood
18 Promises
19 Zombie
20 Forever Yellow Skies

I'd have put it higher. And Ridiculous Thoughts too.
I probably bump them on streaming things because it's always either Linger or Zombie tbf.

Whether or not to be Irish has nothing to do with the debate. First you must listen to most of the more than 100 songs they have made in their 30 years of experience, because if you have only listened to Zombie, Linger and Dreams your opinion is inconsequential

You're a tough taskmaster. Reckon you can like/dislike a band without having to hear their entire output.

You're a tough taskmaster. Reckon you can like/dislike a band without having to hear their entire output.
It is absurd to say that you do not like one if you have not listened to their repertoire, because it is possible that the best known songs are the ones you would like least if you had listened to the full discography of said band

It is absurd to say that you do not like one if you have not listened to their repertoire, because it is possible that the best known songs are the ones you would like least if you had listened to the full discography of said band

Don't come the turntable fascist with me, pal. I like them, and I've heard a good deal but not all of their product.

There's no rules as to liking or disliking a band.

Don't come the turntable fascist with me, pal. I like them, and I've heard a good deal but not all of their product.

There's no rules as to liking or disliking a band.
I always liked The Cranberries, but until 10 years ago I had not listened to everything they did in the 90s, and curiously the songs that I liked the most as a child are the ones that I like the least now. And the most unknown songs that I've only known for 10 years (many of the B sides) are the ones I enjoy the most now.

Back
Top Bottom