Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crap/Not Crap: The Cranberries

The Cranberries...

• Total voters
I always liked The Cranberries, but until 10 years ago I had not listened to everything they did in the 90s, and curiously the songs that I liked the most as a child are the ones that I like the least now. And the most unknown songs that I've only known for 10 years (many of the B sides) are the ones I enjoy the most now.

Yes, taste varies with age. Stuff you might not have appreciated back then, you might now. And vice-versa.

Personally, feel that the first album was never topped. The band had a fresh sound and the production was perfect. It helps that Street produced my favourite Smiths album. But Dolores' voice was always worth a listen to.

Yes, taste varies with age. Stuff you might not have appreciated back then, you might now. And vice-versa.

Personally, feel that the first album was never topped. The band had a fresh sound and the production was perfect. It helps that Street produced my favourite Smiths album. But Dolores' voice was always worth a listen to.
The Cranberries' debut is my all-time favorite album, alongside Boston's debut Brother In Arms and Bookends. No Need To Argue may be better overall, but the debut is incredibly beautiful.

I feel like To The Faithfull Departed and Bury The Hatchet are still criminally undervalued, especially BTH.

I’m Irish and don’t understand why I should like music just because it comes from where I grew up. I haven’t much time for trad Irish since it’s what my dad listened to and we didn’t have the best relationship. You like what you like 🙂

Absolutely agree with you.
I'm Irish.
Still can't stand Bono...

Last edited:
Yes...and to be fair when U2 started gigging at way back they were really quite unique. I loved Out of Control and Boy and The Joshua Tree album. Still have it.
Got so much grief from one of my mates - how could I have U2 and joy division in my record collection etc

That's the kind of music snobbery that gets tedious when you're a teen. Nearly 40 years later and it's about as fresh as the joke about rap being spelled with a "c". Or something.

Beautiful song, is in my particular top 20:

1 Linger
2 Not Sorry
3 Shattered
4 Sunday
5 Ridiculous Thoughts
6 Yeat's Grave
7 Waltzing Back
8 What You Were
9 Liar
11 So Cold In Ireland
12 Dreams
13 Desperate Andy
14 Empty
15 Still Can't
16 Ode To My Family
17 Hollywood
18 Promises
19 Zombie
20 Forever Yellow Skies
Linger is your favourite. You're so inconsequential.

I've never made it all the way through one Merzbow album. Just 369½ to go before I can stop trying :eek:
I plan on doing some wyatting and dug up this piece on it yesterday where merzbow got a mention.

no more fucking Cranberries talk, pleeeeeasse!

Cranberries is a shit name for a band anyway...

Back
Top Bottom