Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Council tenant damaged my garden fence

I’ve heard this too. However, serious question. If you’re looking at your house from outside the front, facing your house, the right side is on one side. If you are looking at it from your back garden, facing the back of your house, the right side is on the other side.

So which is the ‘right’ side?
In the case of my house, it is looking at from the front facing it, however I know it is that side due to the deeds where it is marked with a thick black line and the text says "this is your fence" (though it actually takes about 200 words to say that)

^^

These are both cool answers (which agree with each other) concerning the front of the house.

But what about the back? (Which is what I’m interested in). Because, at the risk of repeating myself, it would be the other side by the same definition. Which seems to make no sense. Surely, the line would be, er, linear. Or something.

^^

These are both cool answers (which agree with each other) concerning the front of the house.

But what about the back? (Which is what I’m interested in). Because, at the risk of repeating myself, it would be the other side by the same definition. Which seems to make no sense. Surely, the line would be, er, linear. Or something.
The right side of a car is the right side of a car, no matter which seat you're sat in. Even if you're in a bag in the boot.

^^

It's the same - standing at the back of the house looking away from it etc

The right side of a car is the right side of a car, no matter which seat you're sat in. Even if you're in a bag in the boot.

A) We are talking houses, not cars.

B) The right side of a car is not the right side of a car. It’s the off side.

But thank you Saul. Your contribution is appreciated.

A) We are talking houses, not cars.

B) The right side of a car is not the right side of a car. It’s the off side.

But thank you Saul. Your contribution is appreciated.
No, the offside of a car is the left side if you drive on the right, like wot lots of countries do.

You're welcome.

Can't find the exact shade of green and anything not exact is going to cause more aggro.

I know. We used to get on quite well, then suddenly she decided I was the cause of all her woes and has been busy making life unpleasant for me. I'm trying to move house (homeswap) because of it.

There is no hard and fast rule about boundary owning on either side...but there will certainly be plans in the deeds. In 15 years of landscaping (including fencing) - we did not take on work without either seeing the property deeds (you would be surprised how poisonous boundary debates can get) or having written permission to do any fencing work so we were certain of liability. Nobody owns one side of a fence - it is included in the deeds...as does the right to erect said fence with arris/cant rails facing inward or outward.
The council will have a mediation board as these disputes are a frequent part of urban management.

I am sure I suggested checking deeds and boundaries way back in the thread but S.b only picked up my (reasonable) query as to why the tenancy vs ownership issue seemed, in S.b's mind at least, to ensure (part) ownership took some sort of precedence.

I’ve heard this too. However, serious question. If you’re looking at your house from outside the front, facing your house, the right side is on one side. If you are looking at it from your back garden, facing the back of your house, the right side is on the other side.

So which is the ‘right’ side?

It isn’t a hard and fast rule, hence ‘generally’, but generally it is the boundary on the right as you look at the front of the house from the road. The deeds show exactly what it is though, e.g. I have no boundary at the front, but at the back I am responsible for the fence in the right and the fence across the back of the garden.

I think you'll find it's actually called 'starboard'.
If you were riding a horse on a ship (it's a very big ship), how to sort out the starboard/port and off side/near side thing?

(I'm going to have to look up "starboard" now to learn why stars are to be seen from only one side, which seems stupid. Maybe it's to do with how much rum the sailors have quaffed or something.)

If you were riding a horse on a ship (it's a very big ship), how to sort out the starboard/port and off side/near side thing?

(I'm going to have to look up "starboard" now to learn why stars are to be seen from only one side, which seems stupid. Maybe it's to do with how much rum the sailors have quaffed or something.)

Steering board, from when boats were steered by a long board hanging off one side, the right, starboard, which is why when you docked you had to tie up in the port on the left side, port.

did he apologise after committing the crime? If so, why not just spot paint the areas of the overspill yourself rather than wait 9 months for him to do it. Once you paint it, tell him you painted it and next time he needs to be more careful.

Having said that, if in your shoes, I would also be pissed off.

did he apologise after committing the crime? If so, why not just spot paint the areas of the overspill yourself rather than wait 9 months for him to do it. Once you paint it, tell him you painted it and next time he needs to be more careful.

Having said that, if in your shoes, I would also be pissed off.

Did not apologise really, just said he would take care of it.
:thumbs:

I was always under the impression that whichever side had the support posts on had responsibility for maintenance ~ in my case that would be me if true but I have a fantastic neighbor and when it needed repair last year we shared the costs.

I was always under the impression that whichever side had the support posts on had responsibility for maintenance ~ in my case that would be me if true but I have a fantastic neighbor and when it needed repair last year we shared the costs.
There are no rules, it's whatever the deeds say. We have joint responsibility for ours.

I didn't realise B&Q can scan a piece of your garden fence and tell you the closest colour. I also had in my head that I needed a full tin of paint as opposed to buying a tester for £3...just got caught up in the stubborn principle of it all.

Spoke to my neighbour about it and he apologised sheepishly. I have however borrowed his long ladder to paint my shed roof and do some window cleaning, which has saved the hassle of having to buy one.

Last edited:
Spoke to my neighbour about it and he apologised sheepishly. I have however borrowed his long ladder to paint my shed roof and do some window cleaning, which has saved the hassle of having to buy one.
Be sure to let some paint drip on his ladder.:thumbs:

Revenge is a drip served wet and all that...

Back
Top Bottom