Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Council tenant damaged my garden fence

It's the bollocks he has been feeding me since it happened that's most annoying. Just an offer to pay for the paint at least and I can do the rest.
What if they're on benefits or have a very low paid job and are struggling financially?

The fact they've acknowledged the problem, admitted their fault, and verbally expressed a willingness to make amends sounds like they're fundamentally decent and remorseful, so I'd be wondering why they're not following through on their pledge(s) to make amends.

Bear in mind that record numbers of people are relying on food banks, countless more are struggling to get by but just about managing.

They might have good intentions but when they get paid need to pay a more pressing bill or replace a knackered pair of shoes... and they're too embarrassed to tell you.

Or then again, they might just be disorganised and flakey.

If they might be skint, suggest you buy the paint if they do the work? But would you trust them to do it carefully if they did a bit of a slapdash job last time?

Or maybe ask if it's okay for you to get the paint and they reimburse you? Do they have a car? Or is it a bit of a mission to get to a DIY store, are they wondering how to get to B&Q, and then back again with a tin of paint? It's not allowed on buses or trains, I don't think, people have been chucked off public transport because they had paint with them.

Could be lots of different reasons why they haven't followed through, but it doesn't sound like they're an inconsiderate arsehole, so maybe cut them some slack?

Depends on who owns the fence - property law is by no means simple, even if you actually paid for, and erected the fence along a joint property line. Ownership, once established (as it is by no means a simple metric such as 'only the right side of the boundary or some such belief) pertains to both sides both sides of the fence...and not just one side. Suggest you check your conveyancing deeds before getting judgmental about 'council tenants'.

What if they're on benefits or have a very low paid job and are struggling financially?

The fact they've acknowledged the problem, admitted their fault, and verbally expressed a willingness to make amends sounds like they're fundamentally decent and remorseful, so I'd be wondering why they're not following through on their pledge(s) to make amends.

Bear in mind that record numbers of people are relying on food banks, countless more are struggling to get by but just about managing.

They might have good intentions but when they get paid need to pay a more pressing bill or replace a knackered pair of shoes... and they're too embarrassed to tell you.

Or then again, they might just be disorganised and flakey.

If they might be skint, suggest you buy the paint if they do the work? But would you trust them to do it carefully if they did a bit of a slapdash job last time?

Or maybe ask if it's okay for you to get the paint and they reimburse you? Do they have a car? Or is it a bit of a mission to get to a DIY store, are they wondering how to get to B&Q, and then back again with a tin of paint? It's not allowed on buses or trains, I don't think, people have been chucked off public transport because they had paint with them.

Could be lots of different reasons why they haven't followed through, but it doesn't sound like they're an inconsiderate arsehole, so maybe cut them some slack?

This happened 9 - 12 months ago...ive given them slack for that amount of time. Considering they run not one but TWO cars, are currently doing their own refurbishments (because they are planning to buy their property) and the fact that the guy is a builder and can more than likely get paint on trade discount, I think I've been very reasonable.

Maybe I expect people to be upfront and honest about circumstances like I tend to but understand its not easy for everyone. I think I will suggest giving me money to get the paint and ill sort it.

Depends on who owns the fence - property law is by no means simple, even if you actually paid for, and erected the fence along a joint property line. Ownership, once established (as it is by no means a simple metric such as 'only the right side of the boundary or some such belief) pertains to both sides both sides of the fence...and not just one side. Suggest you check your conveyancing deeds before getting judgmental about 'council tenants'.

No one is getting judgemental about council tenants...ive already stated why I put that in the title but thank you for your input.

This happened 9 - 12 months ago...ive given them slack for that amount of time. Considering they run not one but TWO cars, are currently doing their own refurbishments (because they are planning to buy their property) and the fact that the guy is a builder and can more than likely get paint on trade discount, I think I've been very reasonable.

Maybe I expect people to be upfront and honest about circumstances like I tend to but understand its not easy for everyone. I think I will suggest giving me money to get the paint and ill sort it.
Fair enough, in those circumstances I can understand your frustration. Must be particularly galling that they're carrying on making improvements to their own place but seemingly can't be bothered rectifying what they fucked up at yours. I'd be miffed in your shoes.

Lifes to short to hold a grudge over this. I assume it's a green preservative? It's not that expensive. Buy a tub, spend an afternoon sorting it out and you won't have to look at it any more. Plus your whole fence will look better for a fresh coat.

I don't understand why the thread title starts with "Council Tenant, when "Neighbour" would have been sufficient.

to establish whether the council may bare any responsibility or could have some input in the matter...that's why.
You could've perhaps phrased the title "Neighbour damaged my garden fence", then included within the OP ancillary details such as "I'm a leaseholder & my neighbour is a council tenant, does this have any bearing on the situation?". Otherwise it does kind of give the impression, however unintentional, that you're looking down on them a bit cos they're a council tenant & you're not.

You could've perhaps phrased the title "Neighbour damaged my garden fence", then included within the OP ancillary details such as "I'm a leaseholder & my neighbour is a council tenant, does this have any bearing on the situation?". Otherwise it does kind of give the impression, however unintentional, that you're looking down on them a bit cos they're a council tenant & you're not.

If I had read a thread title like mine I wouldn't have thought anything of it. In fact, I actually think it reflects some posters sub/conscious thoughts about council tenants than anything.

...or the councils...who knows? We are both sharing it.
You may share it but it will belong to either you or the council, In my case, the fence on the left belongs to my neighbour and the back and the right belongs to me, I was told when I bought my current house that it should be marked on the deeds but a general rule of thumb is that it belongs to the side with the posts.
I presume your home is ex-council? so probably council kept ownership of fence, but apart from squabbles over colour coontamination, the owner is responsible for putting it back up should it fall over so you want to find out who owns it.

27720543497_8520c660a8_o.jpg

Generally you own the fence on the right side of your property, so if it is your fence he has committed criminal damage to your property, if it is his fence you need to stfu. Ck the property deeds.

My crazy neighbour painted our communal fence, which is a lattice fence, so now my side has drips of green all over it and look utterly shit. I tried to paint over it and she went mad at me, saying I was dripping colour over to her side. This is the same crazy woman who's trying to get me evicted for having cats (even though we are allowed cats) so I don't think there's anything I can do other than live with a shitty ugly fence. Not that I can spend much time in the garden any more anyway, since every time I go out there she takes video and photos of me.

Want to swap neighbours?

My crazy neighbour painted our communal fence, which is a lattice fence, so now my side has drips of green all over it and look utterly shit. I tried to paint over it and she went mad at me, saying I was dripping colour over to her side. This is the same crazy woman who's trying to get me evicted for having cats (even though we are allowed cats) so I don't think there's anything I can do other than live with a shitty ugly fence. Not that I can spend much time in the garden any more anyway, since every time I go out there she takes video and photos of me.

Want to swap neighbours?
Why don't you try painting it in the same shade of green that she has used, she had hardly complain about drips then

Generally you own the fence on the right side of your property.

I’ve heard this too. However, serious question. If you’re looking at your house from outside the front, facing your house, the right side is on one side. If you are looking at it from your back garden, facing the back of your house, the right side is on the other side.

So which is the ‘right’ side?

I’ve heard this too. However, serious question. If you’re looking at your house from outside the front, facing your house, the right side is on one side. If you are looking at it from your back garden, facing the back of your house, the right side is on the other side.

So which is the ‘right’ side?
I reckon it's just something people say on internet boards, because they read it on another internet board, and it's complete nonsense either way :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom