Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

could you speak to a Brexitier?

hash tag

Reaching out
No, I'm not even talking about dating, could you bring yourself to talk to a brexitier? I have just learnt that an ex colleague has voted brexit in the European elections. Whatever his reasons, and I suspect a touch of unconscious racism going on, could I ever speak to him again?
Would others?

I live in South West London. I'd struggle to locate one.

Oh wait. Is this serious?

I reckon I'm about 400 miles from a handful of them in Alicante and 800 from the nearest real quantity (Dover) so the question wouldn't arise in the normal way. But of course I would.

I voted for Brexit. Here is what I wrote on another thread:

Absolutely.

I tend not to admit this for obvious reasons, but I voted for Brexit.

I didn't believe any of the made right wing nonsense by the leave campaign. I despise every one of them, and what they stand for.

I do believe the EU is not democratic (but I also believe that the UK parliament is not democratic).

Honestly, this is along the lines of what I wanted to see. I know it's bad. I wanted to give the political class an impossible task, one that would tear them apart. I wanted to see the Conservative party destroy itself. I wanted to see reform in the Labour party, and also felt that for it to move to the left that we would need to sever some links with the EU, which is after all a neoliberal project.

I agree that it is kind of terrifying. I don't know how this will work out. I hope the chaos of it will open up some possibilities for change. But in the meantime it is very very satisfying to see the Tories exposed as ruthlessly incompetent.

I voted for Brexit. Here is what I wrote on another thread...

It's hard to imagine now what would have happened if things had gone the other way with the vote. Initially, Cameron and Osborne's power would have been consolidated massively, and it would also have been claimed as a massive vindication and acceptance that their austerity policies were the one, true way. Also, a disastrous loss of majority and fumbling with the DUP would never have happened.

By this time, who knows where we might be, but I'm pretty confident that there would be fewer possibilities on the table.

No, I'm not even talking about dating, could you bring yourself to talk to a brexitier? I have just learnt that an ex colleague has voted brexit in the European elections. Whatever his reasons, and I suspect a touch of unconscious racism going on, could I ever speak to him again?
Would others?

With that sort of attitude the future of this country is going to be pretty fucking awful.

What would you prefer to happen to Brexiteers, hash tag ? Have them lined up and shot or merely sent to concentration camps?

You'd have to be a complete moron to believe that all people that voted for brexit are racists and then use that as a reason not to talk to them.

That strikes me as a big part of the problem, not any kind of solution. In any case it's as deeply ignorant as OP believes brexit voters are. Delusional.

I think if everyone you know is, to the best of your knowledge, a Remainer, then you probably live in fairly sheltered circumstances.

I think if everyone you know is, to the best of your knowledge, a Remainer, then you probably live in fairly sheltered circumstances.

I tend not to talk about it too much. Most people I know voted remain (but I live in the north west - where I live is a pretty strong brexit area and continues to be) and I understand their reasons and have no problem with their choice. They are often surprised if I tell them I voted for brexit, as it doesn't really fit comfortably (for them) with the rest of my politics. When I explain as I have above, most people understand, even if they don't agree. I don't expect them to agree. But at least we have talked about it.

My dad voted for brexit. He was adamant at the time. He is old. But since then he has changed his mind.

Honestly, right now, if there was a 2nd referendum, I would vote exactly the same, for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom