Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of Living Crisis: Enough is Enough Campaign

Spot on. There is an organised grouping in Unite activity seeking to undermine Sharon Graham and opposed to her and for whom the election should be fought over and again.

The article from the risible shitebox is their bollocks written up as ‘news’.

Good to know some subtext, although no less depressing tbh.

What exactly is going on here? I am confused and basically under-informed.
I think the short answer would be "it seems like not much is going on, unfortunately".

Longer answer is: rather than getting on board with Enough is Enough, Unite seem to have decided to do their own half-arsed campaign instead for no good reason. Is that enough explanation?

I think the short answer would be "it seems like not much is going on, unfortunately".

Longer answer is: rather than getting on board with Enough is Enough, Unite seem to have decided to do their own half-arsed campaign instead for no good reason. Is that enough explanation?
But the question of what "Enough is Enough " is remains.

Incredible seeing the size of these rallies up and down the country. The cost of living crisis, coupled with the Thatcherite insanity of the barbarian Truss clique, are generating hatred, anger and resistance on a scale not seen for decades. May it keep growing!

Don't think Unison nationally have said anything about Enough is Enough, but I did get an email today with the subject line "You need to act urgently"... asking me to tweet at Liz Truss. If that doesn't sort the cost of living crisis out, I don't know what will.

Have we had this?
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres had just returned from a visit to flooded Pakistan when he stepped before the UN General Assembly to give a speech on Tuesday. Poverty-stricken regions experiencing the most severe climate change impacts like Pakistan were front-of-mind when he declared, “Today, I am calling on all developed economies to tax the windfall profits of fossil fuel companies.”

I was at the Leeds one on Tuesday. Lots of people. Lots of speakers (Labour MPs among them, fucking puke) all saying the same thing basically; it's not fair, we're angry and we've had enough! Their demands are the most mild of reforms. But also no hint or idea of what more to do rather than say support the pickets and join a union. It could have been any other left initiative of the last 30 years tbh, maybe slightly more energy, but not even sure about that. The left is great at demos and rallies etc. Hard work to do more than that (especially when you don't know what to do beyond that), and then the almost inevitable drift to just support/vote for the left wing of Labour. At best I think they're catastrophically stuck in a ideological rut, at worst I think they think are sometimes actively sabotaging anything they see outside that and that they'll happily wreck more radical activity. I bet it's going to drag a load of people in for some short term picket support and joining Acorn/a union, and then burn out amid calls for a new Party or something.

Do they have a plan yet?

For supporting strike action and building confidence as well defining what victory looks like.

Truss is tin eared. She won't back down and the media will be behind her. We can't afford to lose. Dont' want a labour party rabbit hole

Do they have a plan yet?

For supporting strike action and building confidence as well defining what victory looks like.

Truss is tin eared. She won't back down and the media will be behind her. We can't afford to lose. Dont' want a labour party rabbit hole

So far it's been rallies listening to Labour MPs with Lynch/Dempsey and a token local campaign speaker from what I can see. Then protests in big cities on 1st October. Nothing about all these community groups etc they mentioned at first yet.

Honestly want to be hopeful, but just looks shit at best or actively problematic at worst to me so far tbh. More than happy to be proved wrong though. Will suspend full ultra-left cynical scorn for the moment. 💣

So far it's been rallies listening to Labour MPs with Lynch/Dempsey and a token local campaign speaker from what I can see. Then protests in big cities on 1st October. Nothing about all these community groups etc they mentioned at first yet.

Honestly want to be hopeful, but just looks shit at best or actively problematic at worst to me so far tbh. More than happy to be proved wrong though. Will suspend full ultra-left cynical scorn for the moment. 💣

The 1st October is also a day of coordinated strike action, which is pretty significant LDC.

Given the attitude of other unions - ranging from apathy to sectarianism - unforeseen delays and the length of time it’s been going what do posters think EiE should have done so far that it hasn’t?

The 1st October is also a day of coordinated strike action, which is pretty significant LDC.

Given the attitude of other unions - ranging from apathy to sectarianism - unforeseen delays and the length of time it’s been going what do posters think EiE should have done so far that it hasn’t?

Agree the 1st strike action is great, but that was happening anyway, the EiE stuff is different, although with connections for sure. Just off to work, will write more about it over weekend. But partly only about what they're doing - it's partly about what they're saying and how they're acting towards things they don't control.

Agree the 1st strike action is great, but that was happening anyway, the EiE stuff is different, although with connections for sure. Just off to work, will write more about it over weekend. But partly only about what they're doing - it's partly about what they're saying and how they're acting towards things they don't control.

Look forward to that. But my question: what, realistically, could and should EiE be doing over and above what it is doing, is open to anyone for reply.

Look forward to that. But my question: what, realistically, could and should EiE be doing over and above what it is doing, is open to anyone for reply.
It could act to facilitate and publicise all dissent rather than try to reserve to itself the decision making about what dissent happens and when?

Back
Top Bottom