Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

From this year's Alzheimer’s Association International Conference (AAIC):
Key results reported at AAIC 2021 include:
  • Biological markers of brain injury, neuroinflammation and Alzheimer’s correlate strongly with the presence of neurological symptoms in COVID-19 patients.
  • Individuals experiencing cognitive decline post-COVID-19 infection were more likely to have low blood oxygen following brief physical exertion as well as poor overall physical condition.

Well its not like they are trying to sustain that approach forever more. If they manage to keep a lid on the infections that resulted from that incident then I dont see why they shouldnt be able to carry on doing so for the remaining months before they change approach, especially once they get past winter. This is not the same as me guaranteeing success, but in their position it would be bloody stupid not to try.

Lambda/C.37 has typically been crushed by delta/B.1.617.2 everywhere outside of Peru (where lambda has a large head start). Note in particular other South American countries except Chile, where perhaps lambda has its best 'chance'. Though B.1.621 may be one to keep an eye on there; it has started popping up in several places in recent weeks, having dominated Colombia for some time, but gradually, of late, delta and lambda have been pushing past it (might be worth watching to try to gauge relative advantage)*.
Not entirely unsurprisingly delta/B.1.617.2 now usurping all the other variants in Colombia, as it did earlier in Ecuador:
Colombia variant growth. Ecuador variant growth.

Can we infer from this that Mu and Lambda won't take off where Delta is currently dominant or is it just my unscientific brain looking for some good news?
Doesn't seem that likely but localised environmental and behavioural factors can tip matters in favour of another variant (eg see Peru, though insufficient sequencing data of late to be sure of the current state of play there - some suggestions that delta may be growing).

As I'm back in Turkey, thought I'd share an update from here.

Masks mandatory here everywhere outside the home, but unlike earlier in 2020, are largely ignored outside. Everyone wears inside (without whinging) though.

Since the 6th of September, there are new laws regarding vaccination. Everyone has a code, which shows their vaccination status. You need to show this for things like checking into hotels/going to events/taking coaches or flights. If you're not fully vaccinated, you have to have a PCR test every 48 hours (or when you need it for those things mentioned). You have to pay for this yourself (prices are much more reasonable here than the UK, but expensive for an average local.

I'm taking part in a training programme involving hundreds of people. We're all staying in the same place (although in separate apartments) and spending the day in classrooms together. However, windows and doors are always open, masks are worn consistently, I eat and drink outside only, and everyone involved is either fully vaccinated or taking PCR tests every 2 days as mentioned above.

There's some strange stuff about tests and numbers though. Case numbers are relatively low, but death numbers are high in comparison. There are no lateral flow tests freely available the way they are in the UK. I brought a few packs with me.

What does ‘PKRC’ mean though? Googling seems to suggest some sort of centre, something people go to before hospital (isolation centre maybe?)

low risk isolation centre. So i guess people who are quarantining but not necessarily covid positive

I'm on a coach in Turkey. I'd wanted to avoid these but friend's car broke down and had no choice. The system here is supposed to mean that to get on an inter city coach you have to show your code that proves you're vaccinated or otherwise you have to have a negative PCR test. However, I wasn't asked for either of those things which proves to me that this is just for show.

Everyone wears masks here (on transport and there are no exemptions.) The man opposite me wasn't wearing one..when the bus man passed, I signalled to him and man is now masked up. 👍

Back
Top Bottom